^ Altnaharra, hamlet, mid. Sutherlandsh., at head of L.
Naver, 21 m. N. of Lairg and 17 m. S. of Tongue; P.O.
Altnamacliin, place, co. Armagh, 3 miles from New¬
town Hamilton; P.O.
Altnaric, stream, Ardclach par., Nairnshire, flowing
S. to the Findhorn.
Altoflts, township with ry. sta., Normanton par., S.
div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 3½ miles NE. of Wakefield,
1837 ac., pop. 3172 ; P.O., T.O.
Alton.—hundred, N. Hants,36,937ac., pop. 11,089.—
2. Alton, par. and market town, in above, 58 miles SW.
of London by rail, 3925 ac., pop. 4497; P.O., T.o., 2
Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. It has
extensive breweries and a paper-mill.—3. Alton, ham¬
let and seat, Derbysh., 6 m. SW. of Chesterfield; P.O.,
T.O.—4. Alton, par. and township with ry. sta., N. Staf¬
fordshire, 7½m. NW. of Uttoxeter—par., 7534ac.,pop.
2621; township, 2243 ac., pop. 1054; contains Alton
Towers, the seat of the Earl of Shrewsbury.—5. Alton,
hamlet, Rockpar., W. Gloucestersh., 4Jm. W. of Bewdley.
Alton, vil., Loudoun par., Ayrshire, 4½ mile N. of
Galston, in SE. corner of Cunningham, pop. 120.
Alton Barnes, par., N. Wilts, 7 miles E. of Devizes,
1053 ac., pop. 156.
Alton Pancras, par., near centre of Dorset, 8 miles
N. of Dorchester, 2243 ac., pop. 247.
Alton Priors, eccl. dist., Overton par., N. Wilts, 7
miles E. of Devizes, 2630 ac., pop. 198.
Altrincham, township and town, Bowdon par.,
mid. Cheshire, 8 miles SW. of Manchester, 662 ac.,
pop. 11,250 ; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days,
Tuesday and Saturday.
Altrincham Division, pari, division of Cheshire,
Altrive, stream and farmstead, Yarrow par., Sel¬
kirkshire ; the farmstead was the home of James Hogg,
the Ettrick Shepherd (1772-1835).
Altymass. See Attymass.
Altyre, river, in Elginshire, flowing 10 miles N. past
Forres to Findhorn Bay. Altyre IIo., 4 m. S. of Forres.
Alum Bay, on the N. side of W. extremity of the
Isle of Wight, near the Needles ; a curious and beautiful
spectacle is formed by its variegated cliffs.
Alum Green, tract, Minstead par., New Forest dist.,
S. Hants, 8 miles NW. of Lymington.
Alum Well, a famous mineral spring in Dysart par.,
Fifeshire, a little W. of Dysart town.
Alva, par. and town, in detached part of co. and 8
miles by rail NE. of Stirling, romantically situated
among the Ochill Hills—par., 5458 ac., pop. 5113;
town, pop. 4961; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; it has mfrs. of
shawls and tweeds.
Alvah, par., on NE. border of Banffshire, 11,888 ac.,
pop. 1356; the picturesque Bridge of Alvah is 2 miles
S. of Banff; post-town, Banff.
Alvanley, township, Frodsham par., W. Cheshire,
near Delamere Forest, 1513 ac., pop. 321.
Alvaston.—township, W. Cheshire, l\ mile N. of
Nantwich, 621 ac., pop. 57.—2. Alvaston, township, St
Michael par., in co. and 3 miles SE. of Derby, on river
Derwent, 870 ac., pop. 1302; P.O., T.O.
Alvechurch, par. and vil. withry. sta., E. Worcester¬
shire, 5 miles NE. of Bromsgrove, 6747 ac., pop. 1618;
P.O., T.o., 1 Bank.
Alveley, par. and township, S. Shropshire, on river
Severn, 6 miles NW. of Kidderminster, 6788 ac., pop.
999 ; township, 892; p. O.
Alverbanh, vil., S. Hants, 2 miles SW. of Gosport.
Alverdiscott, par., N. Devon, 5 miles E. of Bideford,
2273 ac., pop. 272.
Alverstoke, par. and vil., including the town of Gos¬
port, S. Hants, 3812 ac. and 1223 water and foreshore,
pop. 21,581; P.O., T.O.
Alvcrstone, vil. with ry. sta., Isle of Wight, 14 mile
NW. of Sandown.
Alvcrthorpe with Thornes, township with ry. sta.,
Wakefield par., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 3345 ac.,
pop. 10,486; P.O.
Alvcrton.—hamlet, W. Cornwall, near Penzance.—
2. Alverton, hamlet, Kilvington par., S. Notts, 7
miles S. of Newark, 900 ac., pop. 17.
Alves, par., vil., and ry. sta., in co. and 5J miles W.
of Elgin, 9404 ac., pop. 1117; P.O., T.o.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)