Cadder, par. and vil., NW. Lanarkshire, on Forth
and Clyde Canal, llj mile NE. of its post-town and sta.,
Bishop-Briggs, and 5 miles N. of Glasgow, 13,969 ac.,
pop. 6965. At Robroyston, in this par., Sir William
Wallace was betrayed and captured, 5th August 1305.
Caddington, par., in Bedfordshire and Herts, 2 miles
SW. of Luton, 4603 ac., pop. 2204; P.O. The seat of
Caddington Hall is in Herts.
Caddonfoot, quoad sacra par. (comprising parts of
the pars, of Galashiels, Innerleithen, Selkirk, Stow, and
Yarrow) and hamlet (on border of Stow and Galashiels
pars.), N. Selkirkshire, on Caddon Water, 3 miles SW.
of Galashiels, pop. 693.
Caddon Water, rivulet, Selkirkshire, flowing 7 miles
S. and SE. to the Tweed at Caddonfoot.
Caddy, 4 m. from Eandalstown, W. co. Antrim; P.O.
Cadeby.—par. and township, S. Leicestershire, 11?
miles SE. of Market Bosworth—par., 2130 ac., pop.
368 ; township, pop. 149.—2. Cadeby, hamlet, Wyham
par., N. Lincolnsh., 5J m. NW. of Louth.—3. Cadeby,
township, Sprotbrough par., S. div. West-Riding York-
shire, 4J miles SW. of Doncaster, 1234 ac., pop. 131.
Cadeleigli, or Cadley, par., N. Devon, 4 miles SAY.
of Tiverton, 2191 ac., pop. 240.
Cademulr (Place of the Great Battle), upland (1359
ft.), with remains of ancient camps and monumental
stones, in co. and 2 miles SW. of Peebles.
Cadcnhani, vil., 3 miles N. of Lyndhurst, N. Hants.
Cadcr, place, Llanrhaidr-in-Kinmerch par., in co.
and 3 miles SW. of Denbigh.
Cader Fronwen, peak of the Berwyn mountains,
NE. border of Merioneth, alt. 2573 ft.
Cader Gwladus, eminence, in co. and 3 miles SAV.
Cader Idris, mountain ridge, SW. Merioneth, 10
miles long by the curvatures of summit line, and J mile
to 3 miles broad, alt. 2929 ft.
Cadgewitb, coast vil., 2| miles NE. of Lizard Head,
W. Cornwall; P.O.
Cadhay, Tudor mansion, 1 mile NAV. of Ottery St
Mary, E. Devon.
Cadishead, hamlet with ry. sta., Eccles par., SE.
Lancashire, 4j? miles W. of Manchester ; P.O., T.O.
Cadlands, hamlet and seat, Fawley par., S. Hants,
on Southampton Water, 5J miles W. of Fareham.
Cadley, hamlet, Savernake par., N. Wilts, 6 miles
NW. of Andover.
Cadinorc End, eccl. dist. (St Mary) and hamlet,
Fingest par. (Bucks), and Lewknor and Stokenchurch
pars. (Oxford), pop. 263. The hamlet is on the SE.
border of Oxfordshire.
Cadnam, hamlet, Minstead and Eling pars., S. Hants,
4 miles N. of Lyndhurst; P.O.
Cadnam House, seat, 5 m. NW. of Caine, N. Wilts.
Cadncy, par., N. Lincolnshire, 2-J? miles SE. of Brigg
(area included in Newstead par.), pop. 449; P.O.
Cadon Barrow, eminence, 3 miles N. of Camelford,
E. Cornwall, alt. 1011 ft.
Cadoxton, par., AV. Glamorgan, within Neath bor.,
31,118 ac. (248 water), 1169 ac. tidal water and fore-
shore, pop. 10,082.
Cadoxton-juxta-Barry, coast par., SE. Glamorgan,
6J miles SW. of Cardiff, 881 ac. and 80 tidal water and
foreshore, pop. 303; P.O., called Cadoxton.
Cadwell.—hamlet, Tathwell par., N. Lincolnshire, 2
miles S. of Louth.—2. Cadwell, liberty, Brightwell-
Baldwin par., SE. Oxfordsh., 3§m. NAV. of AVatlington.
Cadwortb. See Cawden and Cadwoeth.
Cadzow, quoad sacra par. and vil., Hamilton par.,
NW. Lanarkshire, on Cadzow Water, 1J mile SE. of
Hamilton — q.s. par., pop. 7163; vil., pop. 675. In
vicinity of vil., on river Avon, are the ruins of Cadzow
Castle, the original baronial residence of the Hamilton
family; and Cadzow Forest, with its ancient oaks,
the remains of the Caledonian Forest, and its famous
breed of Scottish wild white cattle.
Cae Atliraw, in co. and 2 miles from Carnarvon; P.O.
Caccocb, spa, 3 miles N. of Llanrwst, on E. border
of Carnarvonshire, in Conway A^ale.
Caegorlan, place, Llangelynin par., NE. Carnarvon-
shire, 2 miles S. of Conway.
Caegurwain, hamlet, Llanguick par., Glamorgan,
9 miles N. of Neath.
Caelwyngrydd, hamlet, Llanllechid par., Carnar-
vonshire, 3 miles NE. of Bangor.
Caen by, par., N. Lincolnshire, 7 miles W. of Market
Rasen, 1430 ac., pop. 129.
Cacnlochan, glen, containing source of river Isla, in
N. of Glenisla par., NW. Forfarshire ; it is surrounded
on all sides by precipices of bare rock, 800 to 1000 ft.
high, and is used by the Earl of Airlie as a deer-forest.
Caen Wood, seat of Lord Mansfield, in the western
vicinity of Highgate, Middlesex.
Cacnynion, place, Oswestry par., N. Shropshire.
Caer-.* See also Cak-.
Caer Arianrbod, submerged town, Carnarvon Bay,
at mouth of Afon Llifon, about 2 miles from the shore.
The ruins are visible at low water.
Cacrau.—par., SE. Glamorgan, 31? miles W. of Car-
diff, 758 ac., pop. 112.—2. Cacrau, eccl. dist. (St Mary),
Caerau and Llandaff pars., Glamorgan, pop. 586.
Caerau Crwyrn, hill with ancient British camp, NE.
Merioneth, 5j? miles SAV. of Corwen.
Caer-Bannan, site of a Roman sta., in co. and 3
miles AV. of Brecknock.
Caer Bran, ancient fort, 4J miles SW. of Penzance,
Caer Caradoc, hill, S. Shropshire, 3 miles S. of
Clun; has remains of ancient fortifications.
Caerdden. See Garthen.
Caer Drewyn, on summit of hill, on N. bank of river
Dee, NE. Merioneth, opposite Corwen; one of the strong
chain of ancient British forts from Dyserth to Canwyd.
Caerfagan, hamlet, AV. Radnorshire, 6 miles SE. of
Caerfai, small bay, near St Davids, Pembrokeshire;
a quarry here supplied the stones for building St Davids
Caerfailwcli, eccl. dist. (St Paul), Northop par., in
mid. of co. and 3| miles SE. of Flint, pop. 783.
Caerfedwin, place, Llandyrnog par., in co. and 4
miles E. of Denbigh.
Caergaer, ancient camp, Glamorgan, 6 miles AV. of
Caergellog, place, Llandderfel par., NE. Merioneth,
3£ miles E. of Bala.
Caergwrle, pari. bor. with ry. sta., Hope par., S.
Flintshire, on river Alyn, 5 miles NAV. of Wrexham
and 190 miles NAV. of London, 1201 ac., pop. 1039;
P.O., T.O.; has relics of Roman smelting works, and
vestiges of 2 Roman roads. Caergwrle is one of the
Flint bors., and unites with 7 others in sending one
member to Parliament. See Flint Boroughs.
Cacrgwrwain, hamlet, Llanguick par., NAV. Gla-
morgan, on border of co., 10 miles N. of Neath.
Caerbun, par. and vil., NE. Carnarvon, on river
Conway, 4-?? m. S. of Conway, 13,402 ac., pop. 1014; sup-
posed to occupy the site of the Roman station Conovium.
Caerinion-Fechan, township, Mallwynd par., Mont-
gomerysh., on border of co., 2 m. S. of Dinas Mowddwy.
Cacrlanrig, hamlet, Cavers par., SW. Roxburgh-
shire, on river Teviot, 10 miles SW. of Hawick.
Cacrlaverock, coast par., S. Dumfriesshire, on river
Lochar, 4 miles W. of Ruthwell sta. and 5?? miles SE.
of Dumfries, 5664 ac., pop. 1051; 8 miles SE. of
Dumfries, on N. shore of the Solway Firth, betwixt
the confluence of the Nith and the Lochar, is the
imposing ruin of Cacrlaverock Castle, long the chief
seat of the Maxwells, Earls of Nithsdale, and still
the property of Lord Herries, the representative of
that ancient family,—besieged by Edward I., 1300;
ruined by the Earl of Sussex, 1570; and again by the
Covenanters, 1640. In the old churchyard is a monu-
ment to Robert Paterson, the Old Mortality of Sir
AValter Scott, who was buried here Feby. 1801.
Caerlee, ancient hill fort, Innerleithen, Peeblesshire.
Caerleon, town with ry. sta., Llangattock par., S.
Monmouthshire, on river Usk, 2-J? miles NE. of Newport
and 26 miles NW. of Bristol, pop. 1099; P.O., T.o. It
was the Isca Silurum of the Romans, and at a later
period a celebrated seat of religion and learning. In an
adjacentfield is an elliptical cavity called Arthurs Round
Table, probably the relic of a Roman amphitheatre.