Cannons Green, hamlet, Fyfield par., W. Essex,
\ mile S. of Fyfield vil.
Cannon Street, City terminus of South-Eastern Ry.
Cannor, or Klnord, loch, Glenmuick par., SW.
Aberdeenshire ; said to take its name from a hunting-
seat of Malcolm Canmore, on the largest of its islets.
Cann Quarry, slate quarry, S. Devon, 4 miles NE.
Canny, rivulet, Aberdeenshire and Kincardineshire;
rising in Hill of Fare, and flowing 81? miles S. to river
Dee at Invercanny.
Canole, viL, Llanbadarnfawr par., NW. Cardigan-
shire, near Aberystwith.
Canon, island, in river Fergus, Killadysert par., S.
co. Clare, 270 ac., pop. 30.
Canon Ashby. See Ashby, Canon.
Canonble, par. and vil. with ry. sta. (Canobie), SE.
Dumfriesshire, on river Esk, 6 miles SE. of Langholm
and 15 miles NE. of Carlisle, 24,360 ac. (218 water),
pop. 2723; P.O., t.o.; contains remains of Roman
station, vestiges of priory of 12th century, and ruins
of Border towers.
Canonbury, sta. on the North London Ry.
Canonby, Cross. See Cross Canonby.
Canon Frome, par., E. Herefordshire, on r. Frome,
6 m. NW. of Ledbury, 1023 ac., pop. 115; P.O., called
Canon Frome Gate; contains Canon Frome Court.
Canongate, township, Alnwick par., N. Northumb.
Canongate, par., in the E. part of Old Town of
Edinburgh, 678 ac., pop. 9908.
Canon Hill, seat, 2 miles S. of Maidenhead, Berks.
CanonmUls, formerly a vil., but now a part of
Edinburgh, on its N. side.
Canon Pyon, par., mid. Herefordshire, 41? miles NW.
of Moreton, 3706 ac., pop. 701; P.O.
Canons, mansion, Stanmore par., N. Middlesex, 1
mile NW. of Edgware.
Canontelgn, seat of Viscount Exmouth, 8 miles SW.
of Exeter, E. Devon, on river Teign.
Canovee, school, Cannaway par., mid. co. Cork.
Canpile, vil., Kilmokea par., SW. co. Wexford, 8
miles S. of New Ross, pop. 129.
Canter, or Ceannmor, mountain tarn, at alt. of
2196 ft., Crathie and Braemar par., SW. Aberdeen-
shire, 2 miles S. of head of Loch Callater.
Canterbury, city, pari, and mun. bor., E. Kent, on
the river Stour, 62 miles SE. of London by rail, 3826
ac., pop. 21,704; 2 Banks, 6 newspapers. Market-day,
Saturday. The antiquity of C. is attested by the
Druidical and Roman remains which have been found
there. The Romans, who called it Durovernum (sup-
posed to be derived from the ancient British Durwhern),
seem to have built its walls, some parts of which
still remain. Its present name comes from the Saxon
Cantwara-byrig, signifying the borough or town of
the men of Kent, whose kings resided here. The con-
version of King Ethelbert to Christianity by St Augus-
tine was the occasion of its cathedral and abbey being
founded (597). During the ravages of the Danes (843-
1011), the city suffered severely; but at the time of
the Norman Conquest it had recovered its importance.
In 1170, Thomas a Becket, the Archbishop, was
murdered at the altar of the cathedral; which in
after-years drew pilgrims from all parts of Christendom
to visit his shrine. The Archbishop of Canterbury is
primate of all England, and, next to the royal family,
takes precedence of all peers. His seats are Lambeth
Palace and Addington Park. C. cathedral is one of
the finest in England, exhibiting specimens of all the
styles of architecture from Early Norman to latest Eng-
lish. There are extensive barracks for infantry and
cavalry in the city, which is the depot of all cavalry
regiments on foreign service. A good trade in grain, hops,
and malt is carried on. C. returns 1 member to Pari.
Canterland, dell, St Cyrus par., S. Kincardineshire;
has quarries of flagstones.
Cantcrton, tithing, Minstead par., S. Hants, 81?miles
SW. of Romsey.
Cantick Head, SE. extremity of South Walls island,
Orkney; has a lighthouse, with a revolving light (Cantick)
115 ft. above sea-level and seen 16 miles.
Cantliun, the Roman name of N. Foreland promon-
tory, NE. extremity of Kent.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)