Cilhepste Fall, waterfall with leap of 50 ft., S.
Brecknockshire, at confluence of rivers Hepste and
Mellte, 8 miles NW. of Aberdare.
Cilie, place, Llanfairtalhaiarn par., N. Denbighshire,
4£ miles S. of Abergele.
Cilie Aeron, par., mid. Cardiganshire, on river
Aeron, 44 miles SE. of Aberaeron, 1914 ac., pop. 329;
P.O., called Ciliau Aeron.
Cillay, hamlet, Llanddarog par., in mid. of co. and
6J miles SE. of Carmarthen.
Ciimachallt, township, Llanidloes par., S. Mont-
gomeryshire, near Llanidloes.
Ciimarch and Ischoed, hamlet, Llandefeilog par.,
Carmarthenshire, on river Towy, 44 m. N. of Kidwelly.
Cilmery, ry. sta., N. Brecknockshire, 24 miles SW.
of Builth Road ; P.O.
Cilowen, place, St Asaph par., NW. Flintshire.
Cilrliiw, seat, in co. and 6 m. SW. of Montgomery.
Cilrliiwan, seat, E. Pembrokeshire, 4 miles S. of
Ciltalgarth, place, Llanfawr par., NE. Merioneth.
Cilwr, hamlet, Talley par., E. Carmarthenshire, 74
miles N. of Llandilofawr.
Cilwych, parcel, Llanfihangel-cwmdft par., E. Breck-
nockshire, 54 miles NW. of Crickhowell.
Cilycwm, par., NE. Carmarthenshire, on river Towy,
4 miles N. of Llandovery, 17,300 ac., pop. 1087 ; P.O.
Cilygernant, hamlet, Llanfihangel - Aberbythych
liar., mid. Carmarthenshire, 3£ m. W. of Llandilofawr.
Cilygroestwyd, hamlet, Llanfwrog par., Denbigh.
Cilytnaenliwyd.—par. and township, Carmarthen-
shire and Pembrokeshire, 3£ miles NE. of Narberth
ry. sta.—par., 4381 ac., pop. 633; township, 3505 ac.,
pop. 487.—2. Cilymaenllwyd, seat, 2 miles NW. of
Llanelly, SE. Carmarthenshire.
Cinder Bridge, hamlet, in par. and 2 miles N. of
Rotherham, S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire.
Cinder Hill, vil., in N. of co. and 3 miles N. of
Nottingham; P.O.; has brickworks and collieries.
Clnderford, vil. with ry. sta., W. Gloucestershire,
24 miles NW. of Newnham and 131 miles NW. of
London; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 1 newspaper; has ironworks.
Cindery Islands, 2 narrow islets in the river Colne,
at Brightlingsea, E. Essex.
Cinn-Trolla Tower, Pictish tower, at Kintradwell,
3 miles N. of Brora, SE. Sutherlandshire.
Cinque Ports, or Five Ports, the name of an
ancient jurisdiction extending along the coast of Sussex,
Kent, and Essex, 70,353 ac. land, 5916 ac. foreshore,
and 531 ac. tidal water, pop. 174,279. The original
members of the body were Hastings, New Romney,
Hythe, Dover, and Sandwich; to these were afterwards
added the Ancient Towns of Winchelsea and Rye,
and a great many other places, which, with the title of
Link or Member, held a subordinate position. The
C. P. were constituted to form a defence along the SE.
seaboard of England. In the lack of any regular navy
they furnished, until the reign of Henry VII., nearly
all the ships and seamen requisite for the service of
the State. In return for their services they enjoyed
many important privileges. Their old charter, the oldest
on record, being 99 years older than the first charter of
the city of London, refers to previous documents of
the time of Edward the Confessor and William the
Conqueror. They are under the jurisdiction of a Lord
Warden, who is admiral of the ports and also governor
of Dover Castle. Their old organisation, however, has
been broken up by the Municipal Reform Act, and the
jurisdiction of the Lord Warden has been much modi-
fied and diminished.
Cippenham, school, Burnham par., S. Bucks, 3
miles NW. of Windsor.
Cirencester (or Eastern) Division, pari. div. of
Gloucestershire, pop. 55,510.
Cirencester.—hundred and par., E. Gloucestershire,
4749 ac., pop. 7737.—2. Cirencester, or Cicester,
market town and par. with ry. sta., in E. of Gloucester-
shire, on the Churn, and on the Thames and Severn
Canal, 16 miles SE. of Gloucester—par., 4749 ac.,
pop. 7737; town, 2600 ac., pop. 7658; 2 Banks, 1
newspaper. Market-day, Monday; was an important
military station of the Romans, who called it Gorinum
or Corinium, the English invaders adding the usual
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)