for parliamentary purposes, consist of Flint, Caergwrle,
Caerwys, Holywell, Mold, Overton, Rhuddlan, and St
Asaph ; they return 1 member to Parliament.
Flintshire, maritime co. of N. Wales; is bounded
N. by the Irish Sea, NE. by the estuary of the Dee, E.
by Cheshire, and S. and SW. by Denbighshire; is 26
miles long, and from 10 to 12 miles broad; the detached
hundred of Maelor (8 miles to the SE. of the rest of
the co., and surrounded by Cheshire, Shropshire, and
Denbighshire) is 9 miles long and 5 miles broad; area,
161,807 ac., pop. 80,587. Flintshire is the smallest county
of Wales, and, next to Glamorgan, the most populous in
proportion to its extent. The coast is generally low, and
skirted by sands. A range of hills intersects the county
SW. and NE., and there are numerous well-watered and
fertile valleys, including a portion of the Yale of Clwyd.
Agriculture is advancing. Wheat and oats are grown
in the plains and valleys ; the uplands afford excellent
pasture, and considerable quantities of butter and
cheese are made. (For agricultural statistics, see Ap-
pendix.) Flintshire is situated chiefly on the Coal
Measures and other members of the Carboniferous rocks
group, and is rich in minerals. There are numerous
collieries, and the lead mines are the most productive
in Britain. Copper, zinc, calamine, and limestone are
also worked, and there are some coarse clay potteries.
The Chester and Holyhead Ry. runs all along the coast,
which is lined by works for coal, iron, copper, lead-
smelting, chemicals, shipbuilding, &c. Flintshire com-
prises 5 hundreds, 37 pars, and parts of 4 others, and
the Flint Boroughs (Caergwrle, Caerwys, Flint, Holy-
well, Mold, Overton, Rhuddlan, and St Asaph—1
member), and the mun. bor. of Flint. It is mostly in
the diocese of St Asaph. It returns 1 member to Par-
Flintham.—par. and vil., S. Notts, on river Trent,
6g miles SW. of Newark, 2450 ac., pop. 381; P.O.; in
AV. vicinity of vil. is Flintliain Hall.—2. Flintham,
hamlet, Oaksey par., N. Wilts, 54 miles NE. of Malmes-
bury ; in vicinity is Flintham House.
Flinton, township, Humbleton par., East-Riding
Yorkshire, 4 miles NE. of Hedon, 1399 ac., pop. 103.
Fliquet Bay, NE. coast of Jersey, Channel Islands,
54 miles NE. of St Helier.
Flisk, par., Fifeshire, on Firth of Tay, 6 miles NE.
of Newburgh sta., 2614 ac., pop. 259.
Flitcham cum Appleton, par., W. Norfolk, 44miles
NE. of Castle Rising, 4200 ac., pop. 466; P.O., called
Flitcham; contains the seat of Flitcham Hall and
the ruins of Flitcham Abhcy (time of Henry III.).
Flitt, hundred, SE. border of Bedfordshire, 33,704
ac., pop. 9480; contains 11 pars, and parts of 2 others.
Flitton.—par., township, and vil., Bedfordshire, on
r. Ivel, 24m. SE. of Ampthill—par., 3185ac., pop. 1369;
township, 1025 ac., pop. 690.—2. Flitton, hamlet, North
Molton par., N. Devon, 24 m. NE. of South Molton sta.
Flitwick, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Bedfordshire,
on river Ivel, 24 miles SW. of Ampthill, 1700 ac., pop.
817; 4 mile W. of vil. is the seat of Flitwick Fark.
Flixborough, par. and township, N. Lincolnshire,
10 m. NW. of Brigg—par., pop. 245; township, 2650 ac.,
pop. 229; the par. contains a small part of Crosby town-
ship, the area of which is included in Frodingham par.
Flixton.—par. and township with ry. sta., SE. Lan-
cashire, between rivers Irwell and Mersey, 7 miles SAY.
of Manchester—par., 2557 ac., pop. 4018; township,
1564 ac., pop. 1776; P.O.; contains Flixton Hall and
fiTixton House.—2. Flixton, par., E. Suffolk, 3 miles
SW. of Bungay, 1761 ac., pop. 176; contains Flixton
Hall.—3. Flixton (or Fclixtown), par., S. Suffolk, 3m.
NW. of Lowestoft, 602 ac., pop. 60; contains Flixton
Hall.—4. Flixton, hamlet, Folkton par., East-Riding
Yorkshire, on the Wolds, 6 miles S. of Scarborough.
Float, ry. sta. (for Castlepollard), N. co. AYestmeath,
4 miles NW. of Inny Junction and 65 NW. of Dublin.
Float Bay, on AV. coast of Wigtownshire, 6 miles
SE. of Portpatrick.
Float Moss, low-lying ground on the banks of the
Clyde, in SE. vicinity of Carstairs Junction, Lanark-
shire ; used to be frequently flooded by freshets.
Flockton, township, Thornhill par., S. div. AYest-
Riding Yorkshire, 7 miles SAY. of AYakefield, 1108 ac.,
pop. 1180; P.O.; contains Flockton Hall.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)