Fochabers, vil. with ry. sta., Bellie par., Elginshire,
on right bank of river Spey, 2½ miles E. of its ry. sta.,
which is 6£ miles SE. of Elgin, pop. 1189; P.O., T.o.,
2 Banks. Fochabers (which is a burgh of barony under
the Duke of Richmond and Gordon) is the centre of
business for a considerable extent of surrounding
country, and has several annual fairs. It contains Bellie
parish church and Milnes Free School (1846).
Focbriw, ry. sta., 3½ miles SE. of Dowlais sta.,
Fockbury, agricultural district, Bromsgrove par.,
Fockerby, township, Adlingfleet par., S. div. AVest-
Riding Yorkshire, at confluence of rivers Trent and
Ouse, 9 miles SE. of Howden, 910 ac., pop. 81.
Fodderty, mountainous par., Ross and Cromarty,
64,230 ac., pop. 2047; contains Strathpeffer sta., 4½
miles AY. of Dingwall.
Focbank, vil., in par. and 6½ miles N. of Bury, SE.
Foffarty, estate, in co. and 3 miles SW. of Forfar.
Foggathorpc, township and ry. sta., Bubwith par.,
East-Riding Yorkshire, 9 miles NE. of Selby, 1321 ac.,
pop. 113 ; contains Foggatkorpe House.
F'ogkanger, hamlet, Milton Abbot par., S. Devon.
Foghard, par., co. Louth. See Faughart.
Foghay, hamlet, St Thomas Exeter par., E. Devon.
Fogla Skerry, off W. coast of Papa Stour island,
Walls par., Shetland.
Fogo, par. andhamlet, Berwickshire, 4652 ac., pop. 468;
the hamlet is on the Blackadder, 4½ m. SAY. of Duns.
Fogo it (or Yoga), inland cave, near Porthcothan, E.
F'ohanagh, par., E. co. Galway, 2 miles S. of Ahas-
cragh, 8685 ac., pop. 684.
F'oherlsh, affluent of river Sullane, AY. co. Cork, 3
miles above Macroom ; 10 miles long.
Foilagh, rivulet, bar. E. Carbery, S. co. Cork.
Foinne Blieinn (or Foinaven), mt., on border of
Eddraehillis and Durness pars., N W. Sutherland, 2980ft.
Fold, hamlet, in par. and 1½ mile NAY. of Leek, AY.
Folda, hamlet, Glenisla par., NW. Forfarshire, 13
miles NAY. of Alyth; P.O.
Folds, vil., Bolton par.,Lancashire, 5½m. E.of Chorley.
Foie, hamlet, Checkley and Leigh pars., N. Stafford¬
shire, 4 miles NAY of Uttoxeter.
Foleshill, par. and vil. with ry. sta., N. Warwick¬
shire, 2 miles NE. of Coventry, 2594 ac., pop. 7727;
P.O. ; contains Foleshill Manor.
Foliejon Park, seat, SE. Berks; post-tn., Winkfield.
Folke, par., N. Dorset, 3 miles SE. of Sherborne,
1722 ac., pop. 268.
Folkestone (or Folkstonc). —mun. bor., corporate
member of the Cinque Port of Dover, market and
seaport town, and par., Kent, 6 miles SW. of Dover
and 71 miles SE. of London by rail—par., 4311 ac.,
pop. 19,297; town, 2306 ac., pop. 18,816; mun. bor.,
2481 ac., pop. 18,986; corporate member of Dover,
806 ac., pop. 15,561; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank, 4 newspapers.
Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Folkestone
was at an early period a place of importance. The
first nunnery in England was established there by St
Eanswitha, daughter of Eadbald, King of Kent, who
himself had erected (630) a castle and a church at
Folkestone. In 1092 Folkestone became the seat of
a priory for Benedictine monks. After the Reforma¬
tion its prosperity greatly declined, and it was a mere
fishing village until the formation of the harbour in
1809. In 1844 it became the terminus of the South-
Eastern Railway ; and it is now the seat of the steam
packet service to Boulogne, distant about 30 miles. It
is also a summer resort, and has some fishing and a
considerable shipping trade. (For shipping statistics,
see Appendix.) A low water landing pier was erected
in 1861, and the first stone of a deep water harbour was
laid in October 1881. On the S. pier are 2 fixed lights
seen 6 miles, and at the extremity of the new pier is a
fixed light seen 6 miles. Folkestone was the birthplace
of Harvey (1578-1657), discoverer of the circulation of
the blood. The whole par. is within the pari, limits of
Hythe.—2. Folkestone, hundred, Shepway lathe,
E. Kent, 15,303 ac., pop. 5938 ; contains 6 pars.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)