Gouflfre, gorge, on S. side of Guernsey, Channel
Islands, 4¼ miles SW. of St Peter Port.
Gouganebarra Lough, at the source of river Lee, 12
miles NW. of Dunmanway, W. co. Cork ; contains St
Finbars island, once resorted to by pilgrims.
Goukstanc Burn, right affluent of Water of Ae,
Gonlcehy, 6¼ miles N. of Horncastle, Lincolnshire;
p.o. See Goulsby.
Goulds Green, vil., Hillingdon par., W. Middlesex,
2 miles SE. of Uxbridge.
Gonliot (or Gimlion) Pass, strait, between Sark and
Brechou, Channel Islands ; Gouliot Bock and Caves
are on AY. coast of Sark.
Goulsby, par., mid. Lincolnshire, 6¼ miles N. of
Horncastle, 1440 ac., pop. 250; P.O., called Gonlcehy.
Gonlthorp, hamlet, Bolton-upon-Dearne par., E.
div. West-Riding Yorkshire.
Goulton, hamlet, Whorlton par., North - Riding
Yorkshire, 4 miles SW. of Stokesley.
Gouray, vil., Jersey. See Gorey.
Gonrdic, seat, 4¼ miles NE. of Murthly sta., Perth-
shire ; Gonrdic 11111, in W. vicinity, is 517 ft. high.
Gourdiehill, seat, 1¼ m. E. of Errol sta., Perthshire.
Gonrdon, seaport and fishing vil., with harb. and
ry. sta., in par. and 1 mile S. of Bervie, Kincardineshire,
pop. 919; P.O., T.O.; exports grain; Gourdon Hill, a
prominent landmark, is 436 ft. high.
Gonrock, town and quoad sacra par., Inverkip par.,
Renfrewshire, on S. shore of Firth of Clyde, 2 miles
below Greenock (with which it has communication by
tramway) — q.s. par. (partly also in Greenock West
par.), pop. 4296; town, pop. 3336; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank.
Gourock commands fine views of the Clyde, and is a
watering-place and yachting station. It consists of
two parts — Gourock proper, on Gourock Bay, and
Ashton, on West Bay. Gourock Bay affords good
anchorage for yachts, and has a pier for steamers;
West Bay is a capital bathing ground. The Gamble
Institute (1876) contains a public library, baths, &c. In
vicinity are the seats of Gourock Castle and Gonrock
House. Of the old castle, held by the Douglases until
their forfeiture in 1445, there are no remains.
Gourock Burn, stream, AYest Kilbride par., Ayr-
shire ; flows SW. to Firth of Clyde at Anns Lodge.
Gourton, township, in par. and 2 miles E. of Wrex-
ham, Denbighshire, 334 ac., pop. 27.
Go van, town and par. with ry. sta., partly in Ren-
frewshire but chiefly in Lanarkshire—par., 6733 ac.,
pop. 232,896; town (forming AY. suburb of Glasgow),
pop. 50,506 ; 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. The town of
Govan owes its prosperity to the shipbuilding industry.
Govan Division, pari. div. of Lanarkshire, pop.
61,043 ; consists of that part of the parish of Govan
lying south of the Clyde beyond the mun. limits of
Govanhaugli Paper Mills, Pollokshaws, near
Govauhlll, police burgh, S. suburb of Glasgow, pop.
9636; p.o.; has large ironworks.
Goveton, vil., Charleton par., S. Devon, 2 miles SE.
Go vil on, vil. with ry. sta., Llanwenarth par., Mon-
mouthshire, 3 miles W. of Abergavenny ; P.O.
Gowanhank, vil., St Yigeans par., Forfarshire, 3¼
miles NW. of Arbroath ; P.O.
Gowharrow Park, seat, on Ullswater, W. Cumber-
land, 10 miles SE. of Keswick; in neighbourhood are
Gowdall, township, Snaith par., E. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, on river Aire, 1¼ mile W. of Snaith,
1210 ac., pop. 203.
Gowder Crag, mountain height, beside Lodore Falls,
Cumberland, 3 miles S. of Keswick.
Gower.—hamlet, Eastry par., E. Kent.—2. Gower
(or Gwyr), peninsula, forming AY. part of Glamorgan,
15 miles long, average breadth 5 miles; its coast line
is bold, rocky, and deeply indented; was colonised in
the reign of Henry I. by a company of Flemings, whose
descendants still occupy the greater part of the penin-
sula, and remain to a great extent distinct in race.
Gower (or Western) Division, pari. div. of Gla-
morgan, pop. 49,382.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)