ship and vil., Kirkburton par., S. div. West-Biding
Yorkshire, 2 miles SE. of Holmfrith sta. and 7 miles
SE. of Huddersfield, 2375 ac., pop. 1169; P.O.
Her . See also Herr .
Herbert, Little, hamlet, Charlton Kings par., E.
Gloucestershire, near Cheltenham.
Herberts Isle, islet, Derwentwater, W. Cumberland.
Herberts Walk, tract, Dean Forest, Gloucestershire.
Herbertshlre Castle, ancient mansion, originally a
royal hunting-seat, and now a school, near Denny,
Herbertstown, vil., Ballinard and Kilcullane pars.,
E.co. Limerick, 7m. N. of Knocklong sta., pop. 371; P.O.
Herbertstown House, seat, E. co. Meath, 4 miles
W. of Balbriggan.
Her brands ton, par. and vil., Pembrokeshire, 3 miles
NW. of Milford, 1433 ac. and 135 tidal water and fore-
shore, pop. 358; P.O.
nercnm, Hole of, remarkable hollow, near base of
Saltergate Brow, North-Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles NE.
of Lewisham sta.
Herd, The (Am Bnachalllc), solitary peaked rock,
off NW. coast of Sutherland, 7 m. SW. of Cape Wrath.
Herdhouse.—hill, W. Cumberland, on N. side of
Ennerdale Water. — 2. Herdhouse, dist., Kirkby
Ireleth par., N. Lancashire.
Herdley Bank, school, Haltwhistle dist., Northumb.
Herdmanston, mansion (partly very old), property
of Lord Sinclair, Salton par., in co. and 4 miles SW. of
Haddington, on river Tyne.
Herds, tithing, East Tisted par., N. Hants.
Herdsman, islet, Argyllshire. See Buachaille.
Hereford, pari, and mun. bor., city, and co. town of
Herefordshire, on N. bank of river Wye, 144 miles NW.
of London by rail, 4969 ac., pop. 19,821; 4 Banks, 4
newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday.
During the Heptarchy Hereford was the capital of
Mercia. Much of its early history is connected with
its position as a border garrison town, which was fre-
quently subjected to the attacks of the ancient and
turbulent inhabitants of Wales. The see of Hereford
was erected in the 7th century, and in 1189 the town
received its first charter from Richard I. Hereford
Cathedral, a very beautiful building, with a tower 160
ft. high, was built about 1115, on the site of an older
edifice; it was restored from designs by Sir Gilbert
Scott in 1863. The city was about the last place that
surrendered to the Parliamentarians. It was the birth-
place of David Garrick (1716-1769) and of Nell Gwynne.
The mfrs. are gloves, leather, nails, hats, &c. Important
cattle and cheese fairs are held. The bor. returns 1
member to Parliament (2 members until 1885).
Herefordshire, an inland co. on the SE. border of
Wales, and bounded N. by Shropshire and AYorcester-
shire, E. by Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, S. by
Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire, and AY. by Mon-
mouthshire, Radnorshire, and Brecknockshire; greatest
length N. and S. 38 miles, greatest breadth E. and AY.
35 miles; 532,918 ac., pop. 121,062. The co. is almost
circular in form, and its surface shows a series of quiet
and beautiful undulations. It is watered by the AVye,
Lugg, Monnow, Arrow, and Frome, also the Teme,
whioh flows on the NE. boundary. All these streams
are well stocked with fish. Of late agriculture has
been greatly improved in the co.: the soil is peculi-
arly suitable for the growth of timber, which is very
abundant. The pear and apple orchards of Hereford-
shire are famous; while the luxuriant meadow-land
affords pasture for a well-known breed of oxen. (For
agricultural statistics, see Appendix.) Marl and clay
form the chief part of the soil; the subsoil is mostly
limestone. There are no valuable minerals, and the
mfrs. are insignificant. The co. comprises 11 hundreds,
258 pars., and parts of 3 others, tne pari, and mun.
bor. of Hereford (1 member), and the mun. bor. of Leo-
minster. It is mostly in the diocese of Hereford. For
pari, purposes it is divided into 2 divisions, viz., North-
ern or Leominster, and Southern or Ross, 1 member for
each division. It returned 3 members till 1885.
Hereford, Little, par. and vil., N. Herefordshire, on
r. Teme, 3 m. NAY. of Tenbury, 3550 ac., pop. 509; P.O.
Hereford Beacon, a summit of the Malvern Hills,
on E. border of Herefordshire ; has British fort. '
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)