Herne Street, hamlet, 3 miles S. of Herne Bay, E.
Herncliill, par. and vil., E. Kent, 3 miles E. of
Faversham, 2824 ac., pop. 748.
Hernin, hamlet, Llanegwad par., Carmarthenshire,
64 miles AY. of Llandilofawr.
Herodsfoot, eccl. dist., Duloe, Lanreath, and St
Pinnock pars., Cornwall, pop. 424.
Heron (or West Herne), hamlet, on river Stour, S.
Hants, 4 miles NW. of Christchurch; in vicinity is
Heron Conrt, seat of the Earl of Malmesbury.
Heron Island, in Lower Lake of Killarney, co. Kerry.
Heron Pike, eminence, Westmorland, 3 miles NW.
of Ambleside, alt. 2005 ft.
Heronden, hamlet, in par. and \ m. SW. of Eastry,
E. Kent; in vicinity is the seat of Heronden Hall.
Herongate, hamlet, East Horndon and Ingrave pars.,
S. Essex, 34 miles SE. of Brentwood; P.O.
Herons Gate, hamlet, 1 mile AY. of Rickmansworth,
Herr—:—. See also Her——.
llerrlard, par., N. Hants, 44 m. SE. of Basingstoke,
2978 ac., pop. 406; contains seat of Herrlard Park.
Herringby, hamlet, Stokesby par., N. Norfolk, on
river Bure, 5 miles NAY. of Yarmouth. See Stokesby
Herringfleet, par., E. Suffolk, on river Waveney,
6 m. NW. of Lowestoft, 1720 ac., pop. 224; has interest-
ing Norman church; contains Herringfleet Hall, seat.
Herrlngstone Lodge, seat, 2 miles S. of Dorchester,
Herrlngswell, par., W. Suffolk, 2 miles NE. of
Kennet ry. sta. and 3 miles S. of Mildenhall, 2540 ac.,
pop. 193; contains the seat of Herrlngswell Honse.
Herringthorpe, hamlet, Whiston par., S. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 2 miles SE. of Rotherham.
Herrington, East and Middle, township, Houghton-
le-Spring par.,N. Durham, 4 miles SW. of Sunderland,
1037 ac., pop. 159.
Herrington, New, vil., Houghton-le-Spring par.,
N. Durham, 5 miles SAY. of Sunderland.
Herrington, West, township, Houghton-le-Spring
par., N. Durham, on river AVear, 44 miles SAY. of
Sunderland, 1022 ac., pop. 3017.
Herriots Dyke, ancient earthen rampart, Berwick-
shire ; traces remain near Greenlaw and AVestruther.
Hersfield Place, seat, 2£ miles from Staplehurst
sta., mid. Kent.
ncrsham.—hamlet, Launcells par., E. Cornwall, 7
miles NW. of Holsworthy.—2. Hcrshani, eccl. dist.
and vil. (ry. sta. Walton and Hersham), Walton on
Thames par., W. Surrey, on river Mole—dist., pop.
2415; vil., 64 miles SW. of Kingston; P.O., T.O., and
P.O. at Her sham Hoad, 1 mile distant.
Hersham Green, hamlet, AA7alton on Thames par.,
W. Surrey, in vicinity of Hersham.
Herstmonceanx, par. and vil., E. Sussex, 4 miles
E. of Hailsham, 5052 ac., pop. 1294; P.O., T.O., called
Hnrstne onceaux ; in vicinity is the seat of II. Place.
Herston, hamlet with school, Swanage par., Dorset,
4 miles SE. of Corfe Castle.
Hertford, mun. bor. and capital of Herts, on river
Lea, 244 miles N. of London by rail, 12 NE. of St
Albans, and 2 SW. of AVare, 816 ac., pop. 7747; 2
Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The
harts-ford is supposed to be the origin of the name
of this town, which during the Saxon era was a place
of no little importance. On several occasions it was
reduced by the Danes. Of the castle built by Edward
the Elder very little now remains, the site being occu-
pied by a building which is used as a private residence.
The industies of the town are unimportant, but there is
a considerable trade in agricultural products, the corn
market being one of the largest in Britain. The bor.
returned 1 member until 1885.—2. Hertford, hundred,
Herts, 36,952 ac., pop. 20,214; contains 13 pars, and
part of another.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)