Kelso, market town and par., NE. Roxburghshire—
par., 5384 ac., pop. 5235; town, on N. side of river
Tweed, 52 miles SE. of Edinburgh and 354 miles NW.
of London by rail, pop. 4687; P.O., T.O., 5 Banks, 3
newspapers. Market-day, Friday. Kelso is plea-
santly situated in the rich wooded vale where the
Teviot meets the Tweed, which is here crossed by an
elegant stone bridge of 5 semi-elliptical arches, each
72 ft. in span; this bridge was erected by Rennie in
1800-3, and leads to Kelso ry. sta. and the S. suburb of
Maxwellheugh. Near the bridge are the interesting
ruins of Kelso Abbey, founded in 1128 by David I.,
burned in 1545 by the English, and in 1866 placed in
a state of repair by the Duke of Roxburghe, whose
seat, Floors Castle, is in the vicinity. On the destruc-
tion of Roxburgh in 1460, Kelso, which had previously
been a kind of suburb of that ancient burgh, became
the principal place on the Eastern Border. It has
important corn markets, and its trade is chiefly con-
nected with agriculture; it has coach-building establish-
ments, engineering shops, &c., and in the vicinity are
large nursery gardens. Kelso is an angling centre. The
racecourse, one of the finest in Scotland, is on the N. side
of the town, and on the E. side is the public (Shedden)
park. Sir AVilliam Fairbairn (1789-1874), the engineer,
was a native, and at the old grammar-school Sir AValter
Scott was a pupil in 1783. Kelso is a police burgh.
Kelstedge, hamlet, 4 m. NE. of Matlock, Derbyshire.
Kelstern, par., Lincolnshire, 54 miles NAY. of Louth,
2700 ac., pop. 235.
Kelston (or Kelweston), par. and vil. with ry. sta.
(for Saltford), in NE. of Somerset, on river Avon, 4
miles NAY. of Bath, 1095 ac., pop. 185; P.O.; the
church contains the tombs of Sir John Harrington
(1561-1612), poet, and Henry Harrington (1729-1816),
musician, founder of the Harmonic Society. Kelston
Round Hill is 730 ft. high; in vicinity of vil. is the
seat of Kelston Park.
Kelthorpe, hamlet, Ketton par., Rutland, in AVel-
land Valley, 4 miles SW. of Stamford.
Keltie Burn, stream, with cascade, Perthshire;
flows 44 miles SE. to Shaggie Burn, in Monzie Park, 1£
mile N. of Crieff.
Keltie Water, Callander par., SAY. Perthshire ; rises
in N. of par., and flows 10 miles SE. to the Teith 2£
miles SE. of Callander. See Bracklinn Falls.
Kcltney Burn, Fortingall par., Perthshire; rises
on Carn Mairg, and flows 9 miles NE. and SE. to the
Lyon at Coshieville Inn, 54 miles W. of Aberfeldy; a
little above Coshieville are the Falls of Kcltney.
Kelton, hamlet, Lamplugh par., Cumberland, 6
miles E. of Whitehaven.
Kelton.—small port, on river Nith, in co. and 34
miles S. of Dumfries.—2. Kelton, par., S. Kirkcud-
brightshire, 11,222 ac., pop. 3458; contains part of
Castle Douglas ; also, Kelton Hill (or Rhonehouse),
vil., 24 miles SW. of Castle Douglas; P.O.
Kclty, mining vil. with ry. sta. (1 mile E.), partly in
Cleish par., Kinross-shire, but chiefly in Beath par.,
Fife, 5 miles SE. of Kinross, pop. 860.
Kelvedon, par. and vil. with ry. sta., in NE. of
Essex, on river Blackwater, 12 m. SW. of Colchester
and 424 m. NE. of London, 3168 ac., pop. 1537; P.O., T.o.
Kelvedon Common, Kelvedon Hatch par., Essex,
24 miles SE. of Ongar sta.; P.O.
Kelvedon Hatcli, par. and vil., Essex, on river
Roding, 2 miles SE. of Ongar, 1684 ac., pop. 375; P.O.
at Kelvedon Common; in vicinity is the seat of
Kelvin, river, Stirlingshire, Dumbartonshire, and
Lanarkshire; rises 3 miles E. of Kilsyth, and flows 21
miles SW. to the Clyde at Partick, in W. of Glasgow ;
at Garscube, 4 miles NW. of Glasgow, it enters Kelvin -
grove, a picturesque wooded dell. See also Glasgow.
Kelvin, affluent of the Roe, mid. co. Londonderry.
Kelvlndale Paper Works, on the Kelvin, in S.
vicinity of Maryhill, Glasgow.
Kelvlnliaugli, district in Glasgow, on N. side of
river Clyde, between the Queens Dock and the river
Kelvin, pop. 2011.
Kelvlnside, dist. in NW. of Glasgow, on r. Kelvin.
Kelways, par., Wilts. See Tytherton Kelways.
Kelweston, Somerset. See Kelston.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)