Kcnley Bottom, hamlet, Bishops Lydeard par.,
Somerset, 54 miles NW. of Taunton.
Kenloch . See Kinloch .
Kcnlmn, hill, Anwoth par., Kirkcudbrightshire, 3
miles NW. of Gatehouse-of-Fleet.
Kenly (or Pitmllly) Burn, trouting stream, E.
Fife; is formed by 3 headstreams near Dunino, and
flows 4 miles NE. to the sea midway between St
Andrews and Fife Ness.
Kenmare, town and par., S. co. Kerry, on river
Blackwater, near the head of Kenmare River, 21 miles
S. of Killarney—par., 22,507 ac., pop. 3632; town, pop.
1279; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday.
There are numerous visitors to the town in the bathing
season, who are also attracted by the romantic scenery
of the neighbourhood. Fine salmon fishing is obtained
in the Blackwater. Kenmare dates from 1670, the
time of its foundation by Sir William Petty, the an-
cestor of the Marquis of Lansdowne.
Kenmare Biver or Bay, a sea inlet, S. co. Kerry,
and partly between cos. Kerry and Cork, 28 miles long
and from 2 to 6 miles broad. The estuary of the
Roughty, or head of Kenmare Bay, is crossed by a hand-
some suspension bridge (1838), the first structure of its
kind in Ireland.
Kenmore.—fishing vil., on W. side of Loch Fyne,
Argyllshire, 44 miles SW. of Inveraray.—2. Kenmore,
par. and vil., Perthshire—par., 67,195 ac., pop. 1508;
vil., on river Tay, at its efflux from Loch Tay; P.O.
Kenmore has communication by coach with Aberfeldy,
6 miles NE., and by steamer with Killin, 17 miles SW.
There are several annual fairs. The river is crossed by
a handsome 5-arch bridge. In the loch, near the bridge,
is an island, on which are the ruins of a priory built by
Alexander I. (1107-24) over the grave of his wife Sybilla.
Kenmnre Castle, ancient seat of the Gordons of
Kenmure, Kells par., Kirkcudbrightshire, near New
Galloway ; is situated on a lofty mound near the head
of Loch Ken, and is approached by a splendid avenue
of fine old lime-trees.
Kenmure House, 1 mile NW. of Bishop Briggs sta.
and 4 miles N. of Glasgow, NW. Lanarkshire.
Kenn . See also Ken , and Kin .
Kenn.—par. and vil., Devon, on river Kenn, 44
miles SE. of Exeter, 5412 ac., pop. 946 ; the par. con-
tains Kenford, vil.; P.O.—2. Kenn, par. and vil., in N.
of Somerset, 114 m- SW. of Bristol, 1018 ac., pop. 289.
—3. Kenn, river, Devon; rises on Great Haidon Hill,
and flows 84 miles SE. to the Exe at Powderham.
Kennack Cove, cove with sandy beach, on S. coast
of Cornwall, 4 miles NE. of Lizard Head.
Kennageall, Sutherland. See Whiten Head.
Kennail Lougli. See Kinale.
Kennal, rivulet, in SW. of Cornwall; rises 2 miles
W. of Penryn, and flows 54 miles NE. to Restronguet
Creek. Kennal Vale is a picturesque district, extend-
ing from Devoran to a little above Ponsanooth vil., and
contains the Kennal Vale Paper Mills.
Kennavarak Point, SW. extremity of Tyree island,
Kennedy Castle. See Castle Kennedy.
Kenncrleigb, par. and vil., Devon, on river Creedy,
5 miles NW. of Crediton, 732 ac., pop. 106.
Kennet.—river, Wilts and Berks; rises near Marl-
borough Downs, flows E. past Hungerford to the Thames
at Reading, is 44 miles long, and affords excellent trout
and eel fishing.—2. Kennet, par. and ry. sta., in SE.
of Cambridgeshire, 64 miles NE. of Newmarket, 1425
ac., pop. 174; P.O.; was the headquarters of Fairfaxs
army in 1647; contains the seat of Kennet Hall.
Kennet, mining vil., in co. and 1 mile SE. of Clack-
mannan ; in vicinity is Kennet House, for centuries
the seat of a branch of the Bruces, now represented by
Lord Balfour of Burleigh.
Kennet, East, par., Wilts, on river Kennet, 5 miles
SW. of Marlborough, 808 ac., pop. 85.
Kennet, West, ancient par., now merged in Avebury
par., Wilts, on river Kennet, adjacent to East Kennet.
Kennet Court, seat, Galway. See Kilclogher.
Kennet and Avon Canal, Berks, Wilts, and Somer-
set; was made in 1810, is 57 miles long, rises 210 ft.
with 32 locks, falls 404 ft. with 48 locks, and at Burbage
in Wilts traverses a tunnel 24 miles long.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)