Miners Bridge, The, attractive spot on river Llugwy,
Carnarvonshire, 1 mile AY. of Bettws-y-Coed; the stream
is crossed here by a step-ladder.
Minerstown, 5 miles S. of Downpatrick, SE. co.
Down, on Dundrum Bay; P.O.
Minestead, 24 miles NW. of Lyndhurst, Hants; P.O.
Minety, ry. sta., Wilts, 8 miles NW. of Swindon
Junction ; P.O. See Minty.
Minffordd. See Mynffobd Junction.
Mingalay Island, Barra par., Outer Hebrides, Inver-
ness-shire, pop. 150 ; is 24 miles long and If mile broad,
and has cliffs on W. side 900 ft. high.
Mingary Castle, ruined fortalice of the clan Mac-
lan, on S. coast of Ardnamurchan, Argyllshire, at
mouth of Loch Sunart, 6 miles N. of Tobermory.
Minginlsh, dist., chiefly in Bracadale par. but partly
also in Strath par., Skye, Inverness-shire.
Miningsby, par. and vil., Lincolnshire, 54 miles SE.
of Horncastle, 496 ac., pop. 132.
Minions, 6 miles from Liskeard, Cornwall; P.O.
Minish Island, 5 miles W. of Kilkieran Bay, Moyrus
par., W. co. Galway.
Minlshant, vil., in par. and 34 miles NE. of May-
bole, Ayrshire; P.O.
Mlnishmore Island, on N. side of Clew Bay, W. co.
Mayo, 7 miles W. of Newport.
Minke, vil., in co. and 4 miles SE. of Carmarthen.
Minley, eccl. dist. and vil., Yately par., Hants—
dist., pop. 149; the vil. is 34 miles NW. of Farn-
borough ; in vicinity of vil. is Minley Manor, seat.
See Hawley and Minley.
Minn . See also Min .
Minnann, cliffs, at Dooega, Achill island, W. co.
Mayo, alt. 1530 ft.
Minnick, Water of, Ayr and Kirkcudbright; rises
in Ayrshire, and flows about 15 miles S. through Barr
and Minnigaff pars, to the Cree, 64 miles above Newton
Minnigaff, par. and hamlet, Kirkcudbright—par.,
88,130 ac., pop. 1587; the hamlet, on river Cree, is nearly
opposite Newton Stewart, part of which (Creebridge) is
situated within the par.; Professor Alexander Murray,
D.D. (1775-1813), the Oriental scholar, was a native.
Miiraocli, Loch, Kells par., Kirkcudbrightshire, 8
miles NW. of New Galloway.
Minquiers, Les, reef, geographically in the Channel
Islands group; is 20 miles E. and W., 10 miles N. and
S., and 12 miles S. of Jersey.
Minshull Vernon, township and vil. with ry. sta.,
Middlewich par., Cheshire, on river Weaver, 4f miles
NW. of Crewe, 2737 ac., pop. 329. See Leighton cum
Minskip, township and vil., Aldborough par,, E. div.
AYest-Riding Yorkshire, 14 mile SW. of Boroughbridge,
1414 ac., pop. 219.
Minstead, par. and vil., Hants, in New Forest, 24
miles NW. of Lyndhurst, 10,246 ac., pop. 880; P.O.,
called Minestead; near vil. is Minstead House, seat.
Minster, par., Cornwall, 5 miles N. of Camelford,
3222 ac., pop. 451; contains part of Boscastle vil., and
has vestiges of an old priory.
Minster Acres, seat, 9 miles SE. of Hexham, North-
Minster Level, par. and vil., Oxfordshire, on river
AYindrusb, 24 miles NW. of Witney, 1951 ac., pop. 511;
P.O.; has ruined hall of priory of time of King John.
Minster Yard with Beddern, township, Holy Trinity
Goodramgate and St Michael le Belfry pars., Yorkshire,
within the municipal limits of York city, 20 ac., pop. 670.
Minster in Sheppey, par. and vil., Kent, on N. coast
of Isle of Sheppey—par. (containing town of Sheerness),
8002 ac. and 166 tidal water and 1902 foreshore, pop.
15,658; vil., 34 miles SE. of Sheerness; P.O., called
Minster; has church and other remains of a nunnery
founded 673, destroyed by the Danes, and restored
1130; Minster Abbey church is of great interest, as
being one of the three earliest churches of the Saxons.
Minster in Thanet, par. and vil. with ry. sta.
(Minster Junction), Kent, in Isle of Thanet, 4£ miles
W. of Ramsgate and 114 miles NE. of Canterbury,
5388 ac., pop. 2062; P.O., T.O., called Minster; Minster
was the seat of a nunnery of 7th century, destroyed by
the Danes under King Sweyn ; the church is a fine old
building, erected by the monks of St Augustine ; Min-
ster Court, seat, is partly of 12th century.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)