Fenjeiwlck, seat, 3 m. SW. of Falmouth, Cornwall.
Penk, river, Staffordshire; rises on W. border of co.,
and flows N. past Brewood and Penkridge to the Sow
a little E. of Stafford; is 21 miles long.
Penkclly. — hundred, Brecknockshire, 65,672 ac.,
pop. 5905; contains 12 pars, and part of another.—2.
Penkelly, hamlet, Llanvigan par., in co. and 4 miles
SE. of Brecknock ; has remains of a castle.
Penkennor Point, headland, on W. coast of Corn-
wall, 7 miles SW. of Bude Haven.
Penkerrig, hamlet, on W. border of Radnorshire, 2
m. N. of Builth ; in vicinity is Penkerrig House, seat.
Penketli, township (ry. sta. Sankey), Prescot par.,
S W. Lancashire, on the river Mersey and Sankey Canal,
31? miles SW. of Warrington, 1059 ac. (69 water), pop.
1239 ; P.O.; contains Penketh Hall, seat.
Penkhull, eccl. dist., Stoke upon Trent par., Staf-
fordshire, pop. 2788; it shares in the trade of the
Potteries ; the North Stafford infirmary and the Stoke
workhouse are here.
Penkill Burn, Minnigaff par., W. Kirkcudbright;
flows 84 m. SAY. to river Cree near Newton Stewart.
Penkill Castle, seat, Dailly par., Ayrshire, 3 miles
NE. of Girvan.
Penkinna Head, promontory, on NW. coast of Corn-
wall, at E. side of Tremoutha Haven, 84 miles NE. of
Camelford; is an imposing mass of slate about 400 ft.
Penkridge, small town, par., and township with ry.
sta., Staffordshire, on river Penk, 6 miles S. of Stafford
—par., 18,020 ac., pop. 3134; town and township, pop.
2536; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Penkridge is an ancient
place, and is supposed by Camden to be the Roman
Pennocrucium, on Watling Street. It is almost wholly
an agricultural town, has three fairs annually, and from
its low position is frequently visited by inundations.
Penlan, vil., in co. and 5 miles SE. of Cardigan.
Penlanole, seat, Radnorshire ; post-town, Rhayader.
Penlee Point, promontory, on S. coast of Cornwall,
at S. extremity of Cawsand Bay.
Penley, eccl. dist. and vil., Ellesmere par., Flint-
shire, in detached part of co.—dist., pop. 330; vil., 4
miles NE. of Ellesmere; P.O.; in vicinity is Penley
Penllar Castle, ancient fort, on NW. border of
Glamorgan, 9b miles NW. of Neath.
Penllecli, coast par., Carnarvonshire, 101 miles SW.
of Pwllheli, 2187 ac., pop. 231.
Penllergare, seat, 5 m. E. of Loughor sta., Glamorgan.
Penlline, par. and vil., Glamorgan—par., 1962 ac.,
pop. 305; vil.,2 miles NAY. of Cowbridge; P.O., called
Penllyne; near the vil. is Penlline Castle, a ruined
Penllltlirig, mountain, Carnarvonshire, 3 miles N.
of Capel Curig; alt. 2623 ft.
Penllyn.—hundred, Merioneth, in NE. of co., 58,292
ac., pop. 6740; contains 5 pars.—2. Penllyn, extra
parochial place, Pembrokeshire, near Cardigan, pop. 3.
Penllyne, Glamorgan; p.o. See Penlline.
Penmaclino, par. and vil., Carnarvonshire, in E. of
co.—par., 11,208 ac., pop. 1787; vil., on river Machno,
6J miles S. of Llanrwst; P.O.
Penmaen.—coast par., Glamorgan, 9 miles SW. of
Swansea, 994 ac. and 98 tidal water and foreshore, pop.
121.—2. Penmaen, eccl. dist. and vil., Mynyddyslwyn
par., Monmouthshire—dist., pop. 2514; the vil. is 12
miles NW. of Newport.
Penmaen Pool, ry. sta., Merioneth, 2 miles SW. of
Penmaen Rlifis, eminence, on coast of Denbighshire
and Carnarvonshire, 6 miles E. of Conway ; is pierced
by a railway tunnel 1269 ft. in length.
Penmaenan, on N. coast of Carnarvonshire, 4 mile
SW. of Penmaenmawr sta.; P.O.; forms part of Pen-
Fenmaenbacta, headland, on N. coast of Carnarvon-
shire, 2 miles NE. of Penmaenmawr sta.
Penmaenmawr, vil. with ry. sta., on N. coast of
Carnarvonshire, on river Machno, 4 miles SW. of Con-
way ; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank ; is a pleasant watering place,
with firm sandy beach, and affords excellent and safe
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)