Penrliyn Cocli, vil., Llanbadarnfawr par., Cardi-
ganshire, 2 miles E. of Bow Street sta. and 4 miles NE.
of Aberystwith; P.O. Pcnrhyn-Darncldn, hill, is in
Fcnrhyn Dcndracth, eccl. dist. and vil. with ry.
sta., Llandecwyn, Llanfihangel-y-Traethau, and Llan-
frothen pars., Merioneth—dist., pop. 2470; vil., 6 miles
NE. of Harlech sta.; P.O., 1 Bank.
Penrliyn Slate Quarries, Carnarvonshire, in S.
vicinity of Bethesda; the quarries are very extensive,
giving employment to several thousand hands, and the
slate is conveyed to Pert Penrhyn at Bangor.
Penrice.—seat, near S. coast of Cornwall, 2 miles
SE. of St Austell.—2. Penrice, par. and vil., Gower,
Glamorgan, near W. side of Oxwich Bay, 10 miles SW.
of Swansea, 2124 ac., pop. 260; near the vil. are the
ruins of Penrice Castle.
Penriocli, place with school, in NW. of Kilmory par.,
Arran island, Buteshire. .
Penrith.—market town and par. with ry. sta., Cum-
berland, on river Eamont, 17f miles SE. of Carlisle and
282 miles NW. of London, 7587ac., pop. 9268; P.O.,T.o.,
3 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Tuesday. In
olden times the town suffered much from the warlike
incursions of the Scots. It stands on the outskirts of
the Lake District, is well built, has a grammar school
founded in 1340, and is a prosperous place, chiefly
through its market being the centre of a large agricul-
tural trade. By artificial means a great deal of land,
formerly waste, has been made highly productive.
Near the ry. sta., at W. of town, stands the ruined
castle dismantled by the Parliamentarians during the
great Civil War. Several interesting antiquities and
fine seats are within easy distance of the town. — 2.
Penrith (or Penrhydd), par. and township, Pem-
brokeshire, 7 miles SW. of Newcastle in Emlyn—par.,
3081 ac., pop. 408; township, 2182 ac., pop. 236.
Penrith, Old, in S. of Cumberland, on river Pet-
teril, 5 miles NW. of Penrith; has vestiges of an
ancient camp, and has yielded numerous relics of the
Penrith (or Mid) Division, parl. div. of Cumber-
land, pop. 45,684.
Penrose.—seat, near S. coast of Cornwall, 2 miles
SW. of Helston. — 2. Penrose, par. and vil., Mon-
mouthshire—par., 2695 ac., pop. 302; vil., 6 miles W.
of Monmouth; P.O., called Penrhos.
Penruddock, vil. with ry. sta., Greystoke par.,
Cumberland, 74 miles SW. of Penrith; P.O.
Penryn, mun. bor., market town, and township,
St Gluvias par., Cornwall, on creek of Falmouth Har-
bour, within the parl. bor. of Penryn and Falmouth,
2 miles NW. of Falmouth by rail, 311 ac., pop. 3466;
P.O., T.o., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Satur-
day. James I. incorporated the town. During the
■Civil War it was held by the Royalists, but sub-
mitted to the Parliamentarians in 1646. Granite is
shipped in considerable quantities, and trading is
carried on in coal, wood, &c. Paper, woollen, and
gunpowder mills, breweries and tanneries, are in the
town, and a large number of the inhabitants are en-
gaged in the coast fisheries and local shipping. See
Penryn and Falmouth, parl. bor., Cornwall, 4668
ac., pop. 18,072; comprises the mun. bors. of Falmouth
and Penryn, the township of Falmouth, parts of the
pars, of Budock and Mylor, and part of the township of
St Gluvias. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament;
it returned 2 members until 1885.
Pensarn.—vil., Denbigh, 1 m. N. of Abergele; P.O.,
T.o.—2. Pensarn, ry. sta. (Llanbedr and Pensarn), on
coast of Merioneth, 2 m. S. of Harlech. See Llanbedr.
Pensax, eccl. dist., township, and vil., Lindridge
par., Worcestershire—dist., pop. 597; township, 1190
ac., pop. 472; the vil. is 6 miles SW. of Bewdley; in
vicinity is Pensax Court, seat.
Pensbury House, seat, near Shaftesbury, Dorset.
Pensby, township, Woodchurch par., Cheshire, 4
miles NW. of Neston sta., 354 ac., pop. 30.
Penselwood (or Fcnzlcwood), par. and vil., Somer-
set, 3 miles NE. of Wincanton, 1101 ac., pop. 420.
Pensford, vil. with ry. sta., St Thomas in Pensford
par., Somerset, 6| miles SE. of Bristol by rail; P.O., T.o.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)