Slieve-na-Man.—hill, 4 miles W. of Newcastle, S. co.
Down, alt. 1035 ft.—2. Slieve-na-Man, mountain, 6
miles SE. of Fethard, SE. co. Tipperary, alt. 2364 ft.
.Slieve-nu-Mow, hill, 3¼ miles SE. of Lugnaquilla,
mid. co. Wicklow, alt. 1478 ft.
•Slieve-na-Miick (or Tipperary Hills), in co. and 3½
miles SE. of Tipperary, greatest alt. 1215 ft.; 6 m. long.
Sligaclian, place with inn, Skye island, Inverness-
shire, at head of Loch Sligachan, 9 miles S. of Portree;
P.O.; Sligaehan, Locli, sea-loch, on E. of Skye island,
extends 3 miles SW.
Sligo. — a maritime co. of Connaught province,
bounded N. by the Atlantic Ocean, E. by co. Leitrim,
SE. by co. Roscommon, S. by cos. Roscommon and
Mayo, and W. by co. Mayo and Killala Bay; greatest
length, N. and S., 40 miles; greatest breadth, E. and
W., 37 miles; average breadth 18 miles; coast-line
about 60 miles ; area, 461,796 ac. (12,740 water), or 2'2
per cent, of the total area of Ireland; pop. 111,578, of
whom 909 per cent, are Roman Catholics, 7‘4 Pro-
testant Episcopalians, 0'8 Presbyterians, and 0'6
Methodists. The coast, along which are Donegal,
Sligo, and Killala bays, is low and sandy. The surface
of the main body of the co. gradually rises from the
coast to the ridges of the Ox Mountains, whence it
descends into the valleys of the Moy and other streams.
The narrow district to the N. of the town of Sligo is
chiefly occupied with mountains, the surface shelving
down to a low sandy waste by the coast. The largest
loughs are Gill, Arrow, Gara, Easky, and Talt. Lime-
stone and mica slate are the prevailing rocks; old red
sandstone occurs in the extreme N. Much of the soil is
fertile, especially in the vicinity of Sligo. (For agricul-
tural statistics, see Appendix.) Coarse woollens and
friezes are manufactured for home use. The coast
fisheries are extensive, and the streams afford good
angling. The co. comprises 6 bars.—Carbury, Coolavin,
Corran, Leyny, Tireragh, and Tirerrill, 37 pars, and 4
parts of pars., and the town of Sligo and part of Bal-
lina. For parliamentary purposes the county is divided
into 2 divisions—viz., North Sligo and South Sligo,
1 member for each division.—2. Sligo, market and sea-
port town, mun. bor., and co. town of Sligo with ry.
sta., St Johns and Calry pars., on Sligo Bay, 48 miles
W. of Enniskillen and 134 miles NW. of Dublin by rail,
3001 ac., pop. 10,808, 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-
days, Tuesday and Saturday. The town is finely
situated on the banks of the Garrogue, a stream which
runs from Lough Gill to Sligo Bay, and the surround-
ing scenery is beautiful and romantic. The old castle
of Sligo was destroyed in 1277, and the abbey, situated
near the town, is now an interesting ruin. Sligo is the
most important seaport in the NW. of Ireland, and has
large exports of live-stock, grain, butter, eggs, and
pork. Steamers ply regularly between this port and
Glasgow and Liverpool. (For shipping statistics, see
Appendix.) There are extensive flour and corn mills,
sawmills, a brewery, &c. Sligo is the headquarters of a
very extensive fishery district. It gives the title of
marquis to the family of Browne.
Sligo Bay, N. co. Sligo; includes Ballysadare and
Drumcliff bays, and measures 6 miles across the en-
trance between Roskeeragh Point and Aughris Head.
It has lighthouses on Black Rock and Oyster Island.
Sliguli, par., S. co. Carlow, on river Barrow, 3 miles
NE. of Borris, 6757 ac., pop. 1040.
Slimbridge (or Slymbridge), par. and vil., Glou-
cestershire—par., 3747 ac. (36 water) and 482 tidal
water and foreshore, pop. 834; vil., 4 miles NW. of
Slindon. — hamlet, in par. and 3 miles N. of
Eccleshall, Staffordshire.—2. Slindon, par. and vil.,
Sussex—par., 2957 ac., pop. 507; vil., 3 miles W. of
Arundel; P.O., T.O.; near the vil. is S. Lodge, seat.
Slinfold, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Sussex—par.,
4432 ac., pop. 773; vil., 4¾ miles W. of Horsham;
P.O., T.o.; in vicinity is Slinfold House, seat.
Slingley, Durham. See Seaton and Slingley.
Slingsby, par. and vil. with ry. sta., North-Riding
Yorkshire—par., 2570 ac., pop. 596 ; vil., 6 miles NW.
of Malton and 30 miles NE. of York; P.O.; in vicinity
is Slingsby Castle, a ruined fortress, built in the 11th
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)