Strome, school, Lochcarron par., Ross and Cromarty,
lb mile NW. of Strome Ferry.
Strome Ferry, place with ry. sta. and steamboat
pier, Lochalsh par., Ross and Cromarty, on S. shore of
Loch Carron, 53 miles SW. of Dingwall; P.O., T.O.;
has a good hotel.
Stromness, market and seaport town, police burgh,
and par., in SW. of Pomona, Orkney, 14 miles W. of
Kirkwall—par., 7618 ac., pop. 2410; town and burgh,
pop. 1705; P.O., T.O.,3 Banks. Market-day, Wednes-
day. The town stands on an excellent natural harbour,
carries on fishing, and has a distillery, ropeworks, and
Stronaclilachar, place with steamboat pier and
hotel, Buchanan par., Stirlingshire, on AV. shore of
Loch Katrine, 5 miles NE. of Inversnaid.
Stronuliun, school, Kilmodan par., Argyllshire.
Strone, watering-place, Dunoon and Kilmun par.,
Argyllshire, at Strone Point (which projects between
Loch Long and Holy Loch), 6 miles (by water) NW. of
Greenock, pop. 295 ; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank ; has a steam-
boat pier. Strone forms part of the conjoint vil. of
Blairmore and Strone; it is a quoad sacra par., con-
stituted in 1884.
Strone of Callie, school, Persie q. s. par., Perthshire.
Stronfearnan, or Fernan : which see.
Stronord, school,Minnigaff par., Kirkcudbrightshire.
Stronsay, island, Stronsay and Eday par., Orkney,
12 miles NE. of Kirkwall, pop. 1274; P.O., T.o.;
measures 4b by 7f miles, and is of moderate elevation.
Stronsay anti Eday, par., Orkney, 16,404 ac., pop.
2107; comprises the islands of Auskerry, Eday, Papa-
Stronsay, Pharey, and Stronsay.
Strontlan, vil., Ardnamurchan par., and quoad sacra
par., partly also in Morvern par., Argyllshire—quoad
sacra par., pop. 691; vil., near head of Loch Sunart,
24 miles SW. of Fort AVilliam ; P.O., T.O.; Strontlan
House, seat, is in vicinity.
Stronvar, seat, Balquhidder par., Perthshire, on S.
shore of Loch Voil, 5g miles SAV. of Lochearnliead.
Strood, par. (ry. sta. Rochester and Strood), Kent,
on left bank of river Medway, opposite and mostly
within the bor. of Rochester, 1491 ac., pop. 5566 ; P.O.,
t.o. See Rochester.
Strood Park, seat, 3 miles NAA7". of Horsham, Sussex.
Stroud, market town and par. with ry. sta., Glou-
cestershire, on the Thames and Severn Canal, adjacent
to the Frome and the Slade, 9 miles S. of Gloucester
—par., 3731 ac., pop. 11,112; town, 999 ac., pop. 7848;
P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Friday.
Stroud is mainly built on the side of a steep declivity
in a valley sheltered by the Cotswolds, and has a pic-
turesque aspect. The chief interest of the place, how-
ever, centres in its cloth factories, which have associated
with them dyeworks, the water being peculiarly suited
for such operations. Stroud was a parliamentary
borough and sent 2 members to Parliament from 1832
until 1885; the parliamentary limits included all Stroud
parish, 12 other parishes, and a part.
Stroud (or Mid) Division, parl. div. of Gloucester-
shire, pop. 56,176.
Stroud End, vil., Painswick par., Gloucestershire, 3
miles N. of Stroud.
Stroud Green, eccl. dist. and ry. sta., Hornsey par.,
Middlesex, in N. suburbs of London, pop. 3877; the sta.
is near Finsbury Park Station.
Stroud Park, seat, Herne par., Kent, 1J mile S. of
Stroud water Canal, Gloucestershire, extending 8 m.
NW. from Stroud to the river Severn at Framilode.
Strowan, seat, Monzievaird and Strowan par., Perth-
shire, near river Earn, 3 miles W. of Crieff.
Stro.vton, par., Lincolnshire, 3g miles S. of Gran-
tham, 970 ac., pop. 100.
Strnan.—hamlet, Bracadale par., Skye island, Inver-
ness-shire, 11 miles SE. of Dunvegan ; P.O.—2. Struan,
hamlet with ry. sta., in par. and 4£ miles W. of Blair
Strnl)by, par. and vil., Lincolnshire—par., 2075 ac.,
pop. 289 ; vil., 4 miles N. of Alford ; P.O.
Strucll, townland, Down par., E. co. Down, 14 mile
SE. of Downpatrick, pop. 77 ; its holy wells have
heen the resort of Roman Catholic devotees.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)