railroads which intersect this county in various
directions, its fine mill privileges, and good soil,
render this a highly interesting section of the state.
Chittenden, Yt., Rutland co. The N. W. part
of this town is watered by Philadelphia River,
the eastern part by Tweed River, and the south-
western part by East Creek. Near Philadelphia
River is a mineral spring, and among the moun-
tains are some caverns. Iron ore of good quality
is found here in abundance, and also manganese.
The settlement was commenced about the close
of the revolutionary war, but much of it, being
mountainous, remains unsettled. 12 miles N. by
E. from Rutland, and 40 S. W. from Montpelier.
Ckoconut, Pa., Susquehanna co. 189 miles N.
N. E. from Harrisburg.
Choctaw County, Aa., c. h. at Butler. S. W. part,
between the Tombigbee and the Mississippi line.
Choctaw County, Mi., c. h. at Greensboro'. N.
central. Watered by the head branches of Black
Chowan County, N. C., c. h. at Edenton. In the
N. E. corner of the state, bounded S. and W. by
Albemarle Sound. Surface level; soil fertile.
Christian County, Is., c. h. at Edinburg. S.
central. Watered by the S. branch of the San-
gamon River. Surface level: soil fertile.
Christian County, Ky., c. h. at Hopkinsville. S.
W. part. On the height of land between the
Green and Tennessee Rivers. Watered by Trade-
water, Pond, and Little Rivers. Soil mostly fer-
Christiana, De. A township of Newcastle co.
The village called Christiana Bridge is on Chris-
tiana Creek. 9 miles S. W. from Wilmington.
Christiana, 0., Madison township, Butler co.
A village 14 miles N. E. from Hamilton.
Cicero, N. Y., Onondaga co. Watered on the
N. E. by Oneida Lake, and on the E. by Chitte-
nango Creek. Surface generally level; soil of a
medium quality. 10 miles N. E. from Syracuse,
and 143 N. W. from Albany.
Cincinnati, 0. City, port of entry, and seat of
justice of Hamilton co. Situated in the south-
western part of the state, on the N. side of the Ohio
River, opposite to the mouth of Licking River,
which comes in here from Kentucky. It is 116
miles S. W. from Columbus, the capital of the
state, and 494 above the mouth of the Ohio. The
rapid growth of Cincinnati has been remarkable.
The popnlation in 1800 was 750; in 1810, 2540;
in 1820, 9642; in 1830, 24,831 ; in 1840, 46,338 ;
in 1850, 115,338.
The city lies in a valley, about 12 miles in cir-
cumference, bounded by hills gently rising to the
height of 300 feet, and affording from their sum-
mits and declivities beautiful views of the river,
and of the city upon its banks, with the flourish-
ing towns of Newport and Covington upon the
opposite side. The city itself is built on what
was originally two successive table lands, or
bottoms " of the river, at different elevations ;
the one being from 40 to 60 feet above the other;
which, in grading, have been reduced more nearly
to a gradual ascent of from 5 to 10 degrees from
the river. The plan of the city was originally
laid out with great regularity, and has been in a
good degree preserved. An open area upon the
bank of the river, with about 1000 feet front, and
embracing 10 acres, is reserved for the u Land-
ing ; " which is of great importance to the busi-
ness of the city, and usually presents a scene of
great activity. The seven principal streets run
north from the river, 66 feet in width, and at in-
tervals of 396 feet, and are crossed at right angles
by seven others, the same distance apart; except-
ing Water and Front Streets, which are somewhat
nearer, and Second and Third Streets, which, on
account of the original shape of the ground, were
located farther apart. To this original plan
other streets have been added, particularly on the
N. and W. The corporate limits of the city
include about four square miles. The central
part is compactly and finely built, with spacious
warehouses, large stores, and handsome dwellings.
One of the squares was originally reserved for
the public buildings, and several of the first edi-
fices designed for public uses were erected upon
it. Among the public buildings of Cincinnati are
the court house on Main Street, a spacious build-
ing 56 by 60 feet, and 120 feet high to the top of
the dome ; the edifice for the Franklin and Lafay-
ette Banks, on Third Street, which has a splendid
Doric portico of a beautiful gray freestone; the
First Presbyterian Church, on Main Street, 68
feet front by 85 feet deep, cornered with turrets,
and crowned with a cupola; the Second Presby-
terian Church, of agreeable architecture without,
and beautiful within; and many other church
edifices which are ornamental to the city. There
are likewise the Cincinnati College, the Medical
College, Mechanics' Institute, Catholic Athenae-
um, 4 market houses, — one of which is 500 feet
long, — two museums, a theatre, a hospital, a
lunatic asylum, &c. There are many extensive
and fine blocks of stores, especially on Front and
Main Streets. The open area at the Landing is
substantially paved to low-water mark, and is
supplied with floating wharves, adapted to the
great rise and fall of the river, which has a mean
annual range of about 50 feet, with about 10 feet
more in extraordinary floods. Many of the
streets are well paved, and several of them are
handsomely shaded with trees. A large propor-
tion of the houses is of stone or brick, from two
to four stories high. Though the climate of Cin-
cinnati is more variable than that on the Atlan-
tic coast in the same latitude, yet few places in
the country are more healthy than this city. The
inhabitants are from nearly every state in the
Union, and from many European nations. The
Germans make nearly one third of the population.
This city is hardly excelled by any other in
the Union in respect to the literary advantages it
affords. The common free schools are of a high
order, embracing ten school districts, with fine
brick edifices three stories high, and furnished
with various apparatus. Besides these, there are
numerous private schools. There are also pub-
lic high schools, male and female, in which in-
struction is given to a great number of pupils.
There is a college, with which is connected the
celebrated Astronomical Observatory established
through the exertions of Professor Mitchell, and
by the enlightened liberality of the citizens. The
Roman Catholics have a college here, called St.
Xavier College. The Medical College of Ohio,
chartered in 1825, is located here. Lane Theo-
logical Seminary, an institution belonging to the
New School Presbyterians, is located at Walnut
Hills, two miles from the centre of the city. The
Old School Presbyterians have also an institution
here, more recently established, for the instruction
of theological students. The Mechanics' Insti-
tute was chartered in 1828, for the improvement
of mechanics in scientific knowledge by means