Corning, N. Y., Steuben co. An important
place on the S. side of Chemung River, 213 miles
W. S. W. from Albany. The Erie Railroad
passes through this place. A canal connects it
with Seneca Lake, and a railroad with Bloss-
burg, in Pa.
Cornish, Me., York co. Bounded N. by the
Saco and Great Ossipee Rivers. 83 miles S. W.
from Augusta, 32 W. by N. from Portland, and 25
N. from Alfred. Incorporated 1794. Cornish pro-
duces good crops of wheat and some wool.
Cornish, N. II., Sullivan co. Connecticut River
waters the W. part of this town, and a bridge
connects Cornish with Windsor, Vt. The soil is
fertile. The town is hilly, except that part which
lies on the river. Blow-me-down and Bryant's
Brooks are the only streams of any magnitude.
First settlers, emigrants from Massachusestts, in
1765. 17 miles N. from Charlestown, and 60 N.
W. by W. from Concord. The Sullivan Rail-
road here connects with a road to Burlington by
crossing a bridge to Windsor.
Corn Planter, Pa., Venango eo. 217 miles W.
N. W. from Harrisburg.
Corneille, Me., Somerset co. This town is well
watered by the Wessaranset River, a branch of
the Kennebec. There is much choice land in
Cornwall, Ct., Litchfield co. This mountainous
township lies on the E. side of Housatonic River.
The scenery about the south village is very beauti-
ful. The mountains and lofty hills which rise
immediately on almost every side, shutting out,
in a sense, the most of the world from this ap-
parently retired spot, present a bold and most
striking feature in the landscape. This village
is the place where a Foreign Mission School for
educating youth was established in 1818. 38
miles W. from Hartford.
Cornwall, Vt., Addison co. This is a hand-
some township of land, and the surface is gener-
ally level. Lemonfair River crosses the N. W.
corner, and Otter Creek washes a part of the east-
ern boundary. In the S. part of the town is
a quarry of excellent dark blue limestone, and
near the centre of the town is a bed of hydraulic
cement, or native lime. Beautiful calcareous
spar is found in the western part. Along Otter
Creek is a large swamp, covering several thou-
sand acres. The settlement was commenced in
1774. Distances, 50 miles S. W. from Montpelier,
and 36 S. from Burlington.
Cornwall, N. Y., Orange co. Situated on the
W. bank of the Hudson River, 100 miles S. from
Albany. The surface of this town, being chiefly
within the Highlands, is hilly, and in a great part
mountainous, including in its area those well-
known summits Bare Mountain, Crow's Nest, and
Butter Hill. The physical features of this whole
region are highly interesting and romantic. There
are several localities in this town of interest in
our revolutionary history; such are West Point,
and the sites of the old forts Putnam, Clinton,
and Montgomery. The two former are situated
at West Point, and the latter on an eminence in
the S. part of the town, near the Hudson. The
landing for Cornwall is at the village bearing the
same name, 4 miles S. of Newburg, at the north-
ern termination of the Highlands. See West
Corpus Christi, Ts., c. h. Nueces co.
Cortland, N. Y., Westchester co. On the E.
side of the Hudson. Watered by Croton River
and several small streams. This town was the
theatre of many exciting scenes during the revo
lutionary war. The surface is hilly, and in parts
mountainous; a peak of the Highlands, called
the lower Anthony's Nose," being situated in
the N. W. part. 110 miles S. from Albany, and
16 N. W. from White Plains.
Cortland County, N. Y., c. h. at Cortlandville.
Central. It was formed from Onondago co. in
1808. Watered by Tioughnioga and Ostelic
Rivers, which, with their branches, afford much
valuable water power. Surface elevated and
hilly, with broad fertile valleys ; soil mostly of
excellent quality. Iron ore and marl are found
in small quantities, and there are two or three
sulphur and brine springs.
Cortlandville, N. Y., c. h. Cortland co. Wa-
tered by Tioughnioga River, and some of its
branches. The surface is undulating; the soil
very fertile. 140 miles W. from Albany.
Corunna, Mn., c. h. Shiawassee co. On Shia-
wassee River, which affords good hydraulic
power. N. W. from Detroit 79 miles. Coal,
sandstone, and lime are found near this place.
Corydon, la., c. h. Harrison co. On the E. bank
of Indian Creek, a branch of the Ohio River.
126 miles S. from Indianapolis.
Coshocton County, 0., c. h. at Coshocton. E.
central. Many mounds and burial-places are
found here. The land is uneven, but rich and
fertile, and is well watered by Walhonding and
Killbuck Rivers, and several creeks. The Ohio
Canal crosses the county. Three salt wells are
found here, and iron and lead ore, and stone
Coshocton, 0., scat of justice of Coshocton co.
30 miles N. from Zanesville, and 83 E. N. E.
from Columbus. It is at the junction of the
Tuscarawas and Walhonding Rivers, which here
unite and form the Muskingum. Steamboats
come up here occasionally in high water. The
ground on which the town is built rises beauti-
fully from the river, by four natural terraces, each
about 9 feet above the other; the first three of
which are about 400 feet in width, and the last
about 1000. The public square, on which the
county buildings are located, is about 60 rods
back from the Muskingum, and contains 4 acres,
neatly enclosed, and planted with trees. The
streets are laid out at right angles with each
other, dividing the town plot into 36 blocks,
which are more or less built upon. There are
four or five churches in the place, one or two
printing offices, and several manufacturing estab-
lishments. A bridge across the Muskingum con-
nects this place with Roscoe, on the Ohio and
Erie Canal, at the point where the Walhonding
Canal unites with it.
Cossawago, Pa. A township of Crawford co.
Cotton Gin Port, Mi., Monroe co. On the E.
gide of the Tombigbee River, just below the junc-
tion of the E. and W. branches. 180 miles N.E.
Council Bluffs, Io., on the Missouri River,
where the Pottawatamie agency was, is the great
crossing-place on the Missouri for emigrants by
the northern route for Utah, Oregon, and Cali-
fornia. Council Bluff's Indian sub-agency is on
the opposite side of the river. Fort Calhoun,
often designated on maps as Council Bluffs, was
situated 28 miles above, on the Nebraska side.
The route by Council Bluff's is destined by nature
for the great thoroughfare to the Pacific. This