the Mohawk. 12 miles E. from Herkimer, and
70 N. W. from Albany.
Danvers, Ms., Essex co. This ancient town
adjoins Salem on the N. W., and was formerly a
part of it. It was incorporated in 1756. There
are 3 villages here — South Danvers, one at the
New Mills, and another at the Plains. This town
Is well watered by Ipswich River and the sea,
and possesses a good water power, both salt and
fresh. The town presents a varied surface, and
from the high grounds are obtained some of the
most picturesque views of sea and shore to be
found in Massachusetts Bay. Danvers is abun-
dantly supplied with fine sicnite, clay, and never-
failing springs of soft and pure water. It was
in the family of Mr. Parris, of this place, that
witchcraft first made its appearance in this coun-
try, in 1692. South Danvers is 2 miles from
Salem, and 14 N. E. from Boston. Danvers is
very largely concerned in the production of
leather, boots, and shoes, the annual product ex-
ceeding two millions of dollars. There are also
manufactures of iron, wool, &c.
Danville, As., c. h. Yell co.
Danville, Is., c. h. Vermilion co., occupies an
elevated position on the N. side of Vermilion
River, near the junction of the N. fork. 130 miles
E. by N. from Springfield.
Danville, la., c. h. Hendricks co. On the W.
side of White Lick Creek. 20 miles W. from
Danville, Ky, Boyle co. The seat of Centre
College and 'of the Kentucky Asylum for the
Deaf and Dumb. On a small branch of Dick's
Itiver. 41 miles S. by W. from Frankfort. See
Danville, Me., Cumberland co. This town, for-
merly called Pejepsco, was set off from the W.
part of Yarmouth in 1802. It lies 32 miles S. W.
from Augusta, and 29 N.from Portland. Farm-
ing is the principal business.
Danville, Mo., c. h. Montgomery co. 47 miles
N. E. from Jefferson City.
Danville, N. H., Rockingham co. This town
was formerly a part of Kingston, and known by
the name of Hawke. The soil is uneven, but
good. Acchusnut River passes over the N. W.
corner. Long Pond lies in the E. part, and Cub
Pond on the W. side. 33 miles S. E. from Con-
cord, and 10 S. W. from Exeter.
Danville, O., Knox co. 65 miles N. E. from
Columbus. In the midst of a fine agricultural
Danville, Pa., c. h. Montour co.
Danville, Vt., c. h. Caledonia co. The eastern
part of this township is elevated about 200, and the
western about 800 feet above Connecticut River.
The soil is free from stone, easily cultivated, and
is perhaps equal, in richness and adaptation to
agriculture, to any in the state. It is watered by
numerous streams of pure water, which rise in
the higher lands of Wheelock, Walden, and
Cabot. Joe's Pond lies mostly in the western
fart of the township, and covers about 1000 acres,
t discharges its waters into the Passumpsie by
Merrill's River. At its outlet, a large, never-
failing sheet of water falls over a limestone ledge,
75 feet in 12 rods. In the N. part of the town
are Sleeper's River and the Branch. Danville
village is pleasantly situated, nearly in the cen-
tre of the township, on elevated land, in the
midst of a beautiful farming country. Philips
Academy was incorporated in 1840, and named
in honor of Paul D. Philips, who endowed it
with $4000. In 1785, or'6, the settlement was
commenced by about 50 emigrants from N. H.
and Ms., who entered on the land as squat-
ters." 30 miles N. E. from Montpelier
Danville, Va., Pittsylvania co. On Dan River,
which affords good water power. S. W. by W.
from Richmond, 164 miles. The river is naviga-
ble, for boats, to the falls of the Roanoke. Dan-
ville is the centre of a lucrative trade.
Darby, Pa.,. Delaware co. On Darby Creek,
and is divided into two parts, the Upper and
Lower. 95 miles E. S. E. from Harrisburg.
Darien, Ct., Fairfield co. A township of good
soil. 42 miles S. W. from New Haven.
Darien, Ga., c. h. McIntosh co. Situated on
the northern and principal channel of the Ala-
tamaha River, 12 miles above the bar, at its
entrance into Alatamalia Sound, on the Atlan-
tic coast. The bar has 14 feet of water at low
tide. The place is situated on a high, sandy bluff,
on the N. side of the channel. Upon the Oconee
branch of the river there is steamboat navigation
185 miles, to Milledgeville, the capital of the
state; and upon the Ockmulgee branch to Macon;
thus bringing a considerable trade from the cen-
tral portions of the state to the port of Darien. The
population and business of the place have much in-
creased since 1810, when there were only about
200 inhabitants. It has a custom house, a bank,
an academy, besides the county buildings,
churches, and many handsome private residences.
Darien, N. Y., Genesee co. Hilly. Drained
by Ellicott's Creek. The soil consists of clay
and calcareous loam. 256 miles W. from Albany.
Darke County, O., c. h. Greenville. Situated
in the western part of the state, having Mer-
cer co. on the N., Shelby and Miami on the
E., Preble on the S., and the boundary between
Ohio and Indiana on the W. It is 34 by 21
miles in extent. There is in this county a con-
siderable proportion of prairie land. The prin-
cipal streams which drain it are Stillwater and
Near the N. E. corner of this county is the
battle ground where the army under St. Clair, in
1791, suffered a disastrous defeat in an engage-
ment with the Indians. The object of the cam-
paign was the establishment of a line of military
posts through that country, for the purpose of
keeping the Indians in check, and preventing
future hostilities. Fort Recovery was erected by
General Wayne, in 1793, upon the site of this
battle, and this fort, the next year, sustained a
desperate attack from the Indians, in which they
were repulsed with severe loss.
Greenville, the present county seat, is also a
place of much nqte in the history of the negotia-
tions with the Indians which followed. these
events. Here, on the 3d of August, 1795, General
Wayne concluded a treaty of peace with the
chiefs and representatives of 12 of their most pow-
erful tribes, who had become determined, not-
withstanding the untoward influence of the Brit-
ish agents, to make a permanent peace with the
Thirteen Fires," as they called the thirteen fed-
eral states. This was also the theatre of another
treaty with the Indians in 1814, which was nego-
tiated on the same spot of ground, with the Wy-
andots, Delawares, Shawnees, Senecas, and Mia-
mies, by General William Henry Harrison and
Governor Lewis Cass, commissioners of the Uni-