ley's, Pecker's, and Eulton's. The name was
given it by Governor John Wentworth, in honor
of his wife, whose maiden name was Deering.
First settlers, Alexander Robinson and William
McKean, in 1765. 25 miles S. W. from Concord,
and 22 N. W. from Amherst.
Deerpark, N. Y., Orange co. Watered by Del-
aware, Neversink, and Bashkill Stivers. The
surface is mountainous on the E., ancf level on
the W., towards the Delaware. The soil is very
fertile. 38 miles W. from Newburg, and 108
S. W. from Albany.
Defiance County, 0., c. h. at Defiance. In the
N. W. angle of the state, including the junction
of the Maumee and the Anglaize. Traversed by
the Wabash and Miami Canals. Level and fertile.
Defiance, O., c. h. Defiance co. Very pret-
tily located at the junction of the Auglaize with
the Maumee Rivers, on the Wabash and Erie
Canal. It has great local advantages, having
tire benefit of the navigation of the Maumee, An-
glaize, and Tiffin Rivers. It is also a central
point to several state roads. 50 miles W. from
Perrysburg, and 80 E. from Fort Wayne.
De Kalb County, Aa., c. h. at Lebanon. Bounded
N. E. by Georiga, E. by Cherokee co., S. W.
by St. Clair and Blount counties, W. by Mar-
shall, and N. W. by Jackson co. Surface
mostly uneven, and drained by Will's Creek, a
branch of the Coosa River.
De Kalb County, Ga., c. h. at Decatur. Bounded
N. by Forsyth co., E. by Gwinnett and New-
ton, S. by Henry and Fayette, and W. by Camp-
bell and Cobb counties. Drained by branches of
the Chattahoochee and Ocknrulgee Rivers. The
Chattahoochee flows along its N. W. boundary.
Sufface elevated table land. The Georgia Rail-
road passes through this county.
De Kalb County, Is., c. h. at Sycamore. In the
northern part of the state. Watered by Kish-
waukee Creek and a small river.
De Kalb County, la., c. h. at Auburn. Incor-
porated in 1835. Bounded N. by Steuben co.,
E. by Ohio, S. by Allen, and W. by Noble co.
It is watered by St. Joseph's, a branch of Mau-
mee River, and by several creeks.
De Kalb, Mi., c. h. Kemper co. 2 miles S.
from Sararnochee Creek, and 106 E. N. E. from
De Kalb County, Mo., c. h. at Marysville. In
the N. W. angle, on the height of land between
the Platte and Grand Rivers.
De Kalb, N. Y., St. Lawrence co. Osgewatchie
River and some of its tributaries water this town.
The surface is hilly, and marble and iron ore are
found here. The soil is of rather an indifferent
quality. 10 miles S. W. from Canton, and 193
N. W. from Albany,
De Kalb County, Te., c. li. at Smithville. In
the central part of the state. Hilly and broken.
Delaware City, De., Newcastle co. On the W.
bank of the Delaware River, at the mouth of the
Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. 35 miles N.
Delaware Comity, la., c. h. at Muncietown.
Bounded N. by Grant and Blackford counties,
E. by Jay and Randolph, S. by Henry, and W.
by Madison co. Surface mostly level, and wa-
tered by the Mississinewa and the W. fork of
White River, and by Bell and Buck Creeks. Soil
Delaware County, Io., c. h. at Delhi. Bounded
N. byClayton co., E. by Dubuque, S. by Jones
and Linh, and W. by Buchanan co. Watered
by Macoquetais Riverand its branches. Surface
undulating; soil fertile.
Delaware, N. J., Hunterdon co. On the E. side
of the Delaware River, and drained by Wick-
Delaware County, N. Y., c. h. at Delhi. Bounded
on the N. by Otsego and Schoharie, E. by Scho-
harie and Greene, S. by Ulster and Sullivan, and
W. by Chenango and Broome counties, and the
state of Pennsylvania. It was incorporated
from Ulster and Otsego counties in 1797. Wa-
tered by the Delaware, Susquehanna, and Char-
lotte Rivers, and the Beaverkill. Surface rough
and hilly, soil fertile, especially in the valleys.
Bog iron and copper ores are found in small
quantities, in several places, and there are a num-
ber of mineral springs in this county.
DelawareCounty, O., c. h. at Delaware. Bounded
N. by Marion, E. by Knox and Licking counties,
S. by Franklin, and W. by Union co. The
land is valuable for farming and grazing, and is
well watered by the Scioto and Olentangy Riv-
ers, and Alim and Walnut Creeks.
Delaware, O., c. h. Delaware co. It was laid
out by Moses Byxbe, Esq., in 1808. On the
western bank of Olentangy River, on rolling
land. A handsome bridge crosses this river,
leading from one of the principal streets. A
very valuable white sulphur spring is found here,
the waters of which are remarkable for their
clearness and abundance. Several chalybeate
springs are also found. The medicinal virtues
of these springs cause the town to be much vis-
ited by travellers. It lies 70 miles N. from Chil-
licothe, and 24 N. from Columbus.
Delaware County, Pa., c. h. at Chester. Bounded
N. by Chester co., E. by Philadelphia co. and
the Delaware River, separating it from New
Jersey, S. by Delaware, and W. by Chester
co. Watered by Darby, Ridley, and Chester
Creeks, all fine mill streams. Surface undu-
lating ; soil fertile.
Delaware, Pa., Mercer co. The Chenango and
Lackawannock Creeks water this town. Surface
uneven; soil clay and lo.am. 7 miles N. W. from
Delaware, Pa., Pike co. Watered by Ding-
man's and Bushkill Creeks. Surface rough and
broken; soil gravelly loam. 148 miles N. E.
Delhi, la., c. h. Delaware co.
Delhi, N. Y., c. h. Delaware co. Watered by
several branches of the Mohawks, or W. branch
of the Delaware. The soil is productive in the
valleys. 77 miles S. W. from Albany.
Delphi, la., c. h. Carroll co. On the E side
of Wabash River, at the mouth of Deer Creek.
66 miles N. N. W. from Indianapolis. There is
a curious spring near this place, the water of
which is of a reddish color.
Demopolis, Aa., Marengo co. On the E. bank
of Tombigbee River, a little below the mouth
of the Black Warrior River. 64 miles S. S. W.
from Tuscaloosa. Site of a land office.
Denmark, Me., Oxford co. Incorporated in
1807. It lies 85 miles S. W. by W. from Au-
gusta, about 28 S. W. from Paris, and 47 N. W.
from Portland. Denmark is finely watered by
Saco River and several beautiful ponds. The
principal business of the inhabitants is agricul-
tural, for which they have a fertile soil.
Denmark, N. Y., Lewis co. Deer Creek and