Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 352

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 351 ...Page 353

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


pository of all kinds of building materials, fuel,
and of the raw materials for manufacturing pur-
poses, for a wide extent of country. The Old
Colony Railroad passes by this and the villages
of Commercial Point and Harrison Square, two
places exceedingly pleasant both for business and

The first settlers of Dorchester came a regu-
larly organized church, with its pastor and officers.
They soon erected a house of public worship; but
it is a singular fact that “ none can tell the pre-
cise spot where the first meeting house was located,
nor does a single stone remain to designate the
site of the original burying-ground." The ear-
liest date in the present ancient cemetery that can
be distinctly traced is 1644.

On the 24th of June, 1852, a new rural ceme-
tery, lying partly in Dorchester and partly in West
Roxbury, was consecrated by religious services.
It is. named Mount Hope Cemetery, and is upon
the same plan as the cemetery at Mount Auburn.
The grounds include an area of 85 acres, embra-
cing every variety of hill and dale, forest, glade,
&c., now sought for in places of this description.
It is already laid nut extensively with avenues
and paths, beautifully fitting it for its purpose.
It is about 5 miles distant from Boston, and is
approachable by many excellent roads from the
city, on which omnibuses are running, and also
very conveniently by the Providence Railroad.

Among the first settlers of Dorchester was
George Minot, a ruling elder of the church for
thirty years. He erected a dwelling house in that
part of Dorchester where the pleasant village of
Neponset now stands. That house is now stand-
ing, and is doubtless one of the oldest houses in
the country. It is in good repair, and has ever
remained in possession of Mr. Minot's lineal de-
scendants. Mr. Minot died December 24, 1671,
aged 78. This house is even more celebrated for
the female heroism displayed within its walls,
than for its antiquity. A party of Narraganset
Indians, hunting on the borders of Neponset
River, stopped at Elder Minot's house, and de-
manded food and drink. On being refused, they
threatened vengeance, and the sachem, or chief
of the party, left an Indian in ambush to watch
an opportunity to effect it. Soon after, in the
absence of all the family, except a young woman
and two small children, the Indian attacked the
house, and fired at the young woman, but missed
his mark. The girl placed the children under
two brass kettles, and bade them be silent. She
then loaded Mr. Minot's gun, and shot the Indian
in the shoulder. He again attacked the house,
and in attempting to enter the window, the girl
threw a shovelful of live coals into his face, and
lodged them in his blanket. On this the Indian
fled. The next day he was found dead in the
woods. The Indian's name was Chickataubut,
but not the Narraganset sachem of that name.
The government of Massachusetts Bay presented
this brave young wqman with a silver wristband,
on which her name was engraved, with this
motto — “ She slew the Narraganset hunter."

Dorchester, N. II., Grafton co. Dorchester is
situated on the highlands between Connecticut
and Merrimac Rivers. The principal streams are
the. S branch of Baker's River, a branch of Mas-
comy and Rocky Branch. There are two ponds,
both in the W. part of the town. The soil in
some parts is very fertile. The highlands are
uneven and rocky. First settlers, Benjamin Rice
and Stephen Murch. 23 miles S. by E. from
Haverhill, and 40 N. W. from Concord.

Dorr, Is., c. h. McHenry co.

Dorr County, Wn. New. Taken from Brown
in 1851,

Dorset, Vt., Bennington co. There are no con-
siderable streams in this township. Otter Creek,
Battenkill and one of its branches, and Pawlet
River, afford some mill privileges. This town-
ship is considerably mountainous. Equinox
Mountain lies partly in the S. W. corner. In
this township are several remarkable caverns.
The first settlement was made in 1768. 26 miles
N. from Bennington, and 91 S. S. W. from

Double Springs, otherwise called Pleasant Val-
Ca., c. h. Mariposa co.

Douglas, Ms., Worcester co., was named in
honor of Dr. William Douglas, of Boston, a
Scotch gentleman of some eminence, a benefac-
tor to the town, and the author of a history of
New England. Douglas was first settled about
the year 1722, and at first was called Sherburne,
from which place the first settlers came. The
town is diversified by hills and valleys, the former
affording much wood, and the latter a fine soil
for cultivation. Mum ford River passes through
the E. village, on which are fine tracts of inter-
vale, and good mill seats. The town abounds
with springs and small streams. The centre
village lies 16 miles S. from Worcester. The E.
village is 2 miles N. E. from the centre, and 42
S. W. by W. from Boston.

Douglass, Pa., Berks co. Watered by Mana-
tawny Creek, which affords mill privileges. Sur-
face undulating; soil of pretty good quality.

Douglass, Pa., Montgomery co. Perkiomen
and Swamp Creeks, good mill streams, water this
town. Surface hilly; soil red shale.

Dover, De. Capital of the state, and seat of
justice of Kent co. Pleasantly situated on ele-
vated ground between two principal branches of
Jones's Creek, 10 miles above its entrance into
the W. side Delaware Bay. The town is laid
out with much regularity, having a large public
square in the centre, and wide sti'eets intersecting
each other at right angles. The state house
stands on the E. side of the squai-e, and other
public buildings are around it. Thei'e is at
Dover a beautiful monument in honor of Colonel
John Haslett, who fell in the battle of Princeton.
Dover lies 50 miles
S. from Wilmington, and 120
from Washington.

Dover, Me., c. h. Piscataquis. On Piscataquis
River. 77 miles N. by E. from Augusta.

Dover, Ms., Norfolk co., was taken from Dedr
ham in 1784. This town is bounded N. by
Charles River. The sui'faee is uneven, and a
large part covered with wood. Pine Hill, in
Dover and x^Jedfield, 400 feet above Charles
River, affoi'ds an extensive prospect. 5 miles W.
from Dedham, and 14 S. S. W. from Boston.

Dover, N. H., shire town of Strafford co. 40
miles E. from Concord, 66 N. from Boston, and
44 S. from Portland, Me. Population in 1820,
2871 ; in 1830, 5449; 1840, 6458; 1850, 8186.

This is one of the most interesting and im-
portant towns in New Hampshire. It is situ-
ated at the head of navigation on the Cocheco
River, about 12 miles from the ocean, in the
midst of a peculiarly rich and fertile country,
on the N. W. and S. There are falls in the river
at this place of about 32 feet descent, which con-

A Gazetteer of the United States of America by John Hayward.

Hartford, CT: Case, Tiffany and Company. 1853. Public domain image

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.