mac River. The town is pleasantly situated on
the N. side, on the line of New Hampshire,
with a tolerable soil, and some water power by
Beaver River. The proximity of this town to
Lowell gives it a favorable market for the fruits
and vegetables which it plentifully yields. There
is some fine scenery in the town, particularly
around Pawtucket Falls, when the river is high.
27 miles N. from Boston, and 16 N. by E. from
Drayton, Ga., c. h. Dooly co. On Pennehatchie
Creek, about 1 mile from its entrance into
Flint River, and 98 miles S. S. W. from Mil-
Dresden, Is., Grundy co. At the junction of
Kankakee and Des Plaines River's, 153 miles N.
N. E. from Springfield. The Illinois Canal
passes through it.
Dresden, Me., Lincoln co. On the E. bank
of Kennebec River, 14 miles S. from Augusta.
Dresden, N. Y., Washington co. Situated be-
tween Lakes George and Champlain. The surface
is hilly and mountainous, Palmertown Mountain
extending through the town, rising, in some
places, to the height of 1200 feet above the level
of Lake Champlain. The land is unfit for culti-
vation, and mostly covered with forests. 28
miles from Sandy Hill, and 78 N. N. E. from
Dresden, 0., Jefferson township, Muskingum
co. A thriving town on Wakatom-aka Creek,
on a side cut of the Ohio and Erie Canal, near
their union with the Muskingum River.
Dresden, Te., c. h. Weakley co. On one of the
head branches of Obion River. AY. by N. from
Nashville 122 miles.
Drew County, As., c. h. at Monticello.
Dromore, Pa., Lancaster co. Bounded S. W.
by the Susquehanna River, and drained by Con-
ewago Creek, which affords hydraulic power.
Surface undulating ; soil clay. S. E. from Lan-
caster 15 miles.
Dryden, N. Y., Tompkins co. Fall Creek and
some other small streams water this town. The
surface is uneven; the soil productive, consisting
of gravelly loam. 10 miles E. from Ithaca, and
160 W. from Albany.
Duane, N. Y., Franklin co. Situated in the
northern part of the state, about 200 miles from
Albany. A considerable part of this town is yet
covered with the native forest. The surface is
uneven and hilly, with several small lakes. The
principal settlement is in the northern part. The
town has become celebrated for its superior
iron ore, or native steel ore," as it has been
called, which is capable of being cast from the
ore into the finest edged tools. At Duane
there are a blasting furnace and a scythe man-
Duanesburg, N. Y., Schenectady co. Watered
by Schoharie Creek and some other small streams.
The surface is elevated and hilly; the soil clay
loam. 12 miles S. W. from Schenectady, and
21 N. W. from Albany.
Dublin. Ga., c. h. Laurens co. On the W. side
of the Oconee River. 79 miles S. S. E. from
Dublin, N. H., Cheshire co. On the height of
land between Connecticut and Merrimac Rivers.
Its streams are small. Centre Pond is in the
middle of the town; it is one mile in length, and
about the same in breadth. A large portion of
the Grand Monadnock lies in the N. W. part of
Dublin, and near the centre of the town is Breed's
Mountain. The land is better for grazing than
tillage. First settlers, 1762, John Alexander,
Henry Strongman, and William Strong. 10
miles E. by S. from Keene, and 50 S. W. from
Dublin, 0., Washington, Franklin co. On
elevated ground, on the AY. bank of Scioto River,
on which there is water power. 12 miles N. N.
W. from Columbus.
Dublin, Pa., Bedford co. AVatered by Wooden
Bridge and Little Augwick Creeks and the head
branches of Licking Creek. Surface level; sqil
calcareous loam. 25 miles E. from Bedford.
Dublin, Pa., Huntingdon co. Shade and Lit-
tle Augwick Creeks drain this town. Surface
mountainous; soil clay. 21 miles S. E. from
Dubois County, la., c. h. at Jasper. Incorporated
in 1817. Bounded N. by Davies and Martin
counties, E. by Orange and Crawford, S. by
Perry and Spencer, and W. by Pike counties.
Watered by Strait River, by the E. fork of
White River, and by Patoka and Huntley's
Creeks. Surface hilly and undulating; soil fer-
Dubuque County, Io., c. h. at Dubuque. Bound-
ed N. by Clayton co., N. E. by the Mississippi
River, separating it from Wisconsin, and on
the E. from Illinois, S. by Jackson and Jones
counties, and W. by Delaware co. Drained
by Turkey and Little Macoquetais Rivers and
branches, and by some small creeks flowing into
Dubuque, Io., shire town of Dubuque co. Situ-
ated on the AV. bank of the Mississippi River,
about 80 miles N. E. from Iowa City, 454 miles
above St. Louis, and 338 below the Falls of St.
Anthony. It is 24 miles, by the Mississippi and
Fevre Rivers, from Galena. Dubuque, like Ga-
lena, is celebrated for its lead mines, the ore
being found in abundance within its corporate
limits, and for many miles around. This is, in-
deed, the commercial centre of the lead region.
Dubuque was originally settled by a French
half-breed of that name, who purchased his title
from the Indians. The town is built on a fine
table prairie, with picturesque bluffs in the rear,
some of which are adorned with princely man-
sions. The place is laid out with regularity,
and handsomely built. Among the churches, of
which there are several of the various denomi-
nations, there is a large stone Roman Catholic
cathedral. Its spacious brick warehouses, its
many stores and mechanic shops, its numerous
steamboats lading and unlading at the quays,
and the bustling activity of business in its streets,
sufficiently indicate that this place is now the
great commercial emporium of the country of
the Upper Mississippi. The Illinois Central
Railroad from Cairo, at the mouth of the Ohio,
will have its northern terminus on the opposite
side of the river, which will open a communi-
cation, at all seasons of the year, to the Gulf of
Mexico. There will soon be a continuous rail-
road route from this place to Chicago, and thence
to New York and Boston.
Dudley, Ms., AVorcester co. This town was
granted by the legislature in 1660. The grantees
bought it of the Began tribe of Indians. Quinne-
baug River on the W. and French on the E. give
to Dudley an excellent water power. The town
was named in honor of Baul and William Dud-