rather hilly, and the soil extremely fertile in the
valleys. 198 miles W. by S. from Albany.
Elmore, Vt., Lamoille co. Fordway or Elmore
Mountain lies in the N. W. part of the town-
ship, and is a considerable elevation. The re-
maining part of the surface is accessible, and not
very uneven. It is mostly timbered with hard
wood, and the soil is of a middling quality. A
part of the waters of this township pass off into
the River Lamoille, and a part into Winooski
River. Mead's Fond lies in the north-western
part, and covers about 300 acres. There are
three other small ponds within the township.
Iron ore is found in abundance. The settlement
was commenced in July, 1790. Smiles S.from
Hydepark, and 37 N. from Montpelier.
El Passo County, Ts. Western part.
Elsinboro', N. J., Salem co. Alloway's and
Salem Creeks water this town, the surface of
which is level and marshy, and the soil rich
loam. 3 miles N. E. from Salem.
Elyria, O., c. h. Lorain co., was named from
the Hon. Heman Ely, who laid it out. It is a well-
built place, situated between the branches of Black
River, distant from Columbus 130 miles N. E.
Elyton, Aa., c. h. Jefferson co. At the head of
Catoochee or Valley Creek. 54 miles N. E.
Emanuel County, Ga., c. h. at Swainsboro',
Bounded N. by Washington, Jefferson, and Burke
counties, E. by Bullock co., S. by Tatnall and
Montgomery, and W. by Laurens co. Surface
level, and watered by Ogeechee, Cannonchee, and
Ohoopee Rivers and their branches. Soil sandy
Embden, Me., Somerset co. A fine township,
with two villages on the W. side of Kennebec
River. 46 miles N. N. W. from Augusta.
Eminence, Mo., c. h. Shannon co.
Emmaus, Pa.. Lehigh co. A Moravian village,
at the foot of South Mountain. 87 miles E. by
N. from Harrisburg.
Emmettsbury, Md., Frederick co. 80 miles N.
W. from Annapolis. The site of Mount St.
Mary's College, and St. Joseph's Female Insti-
tute. (See Colleges.)
Enfield, Ct., Hartford co. This town was first
settled, 1681, by emigrants from Salem, Ms. It
formerly belonged to Massachusetts, and was
a part of Springfield. The first bridge across
Connecticut River was built in 1808, connecting
Enfield with Suffield, The surface is generally
level, and the soil moist and fertile. The street
where most of the inhabitants reside is very pleas-
ant, wide, and well shaded. The village near the
river was commenced about 1831. It is watered
by Scantic River. 18 miles N. from Hartford.
Enfield, Me., Penobscot co. Incorporated 1835.
Enfield, Ms., Hampshire co. This town was
formerly part of Belchertown and Greenwich,
and lies between them. Two branches of Swift
River meet in this town, and give it a water
power, which adds much to its beauty and wealth.
There are two pleasant villages here, and several
eminences from which fine views may be had of
this section of country. 15 miles E. from North-
ampton, and 71 W. from Boston.
Enfield, N. H., Grafton co. The surface of this
town is diversified, and watered by ponds and
streams, stored with fish. Mascomy Pond is a
beautiful collection of water, four miles in length,
and of various breadth, interspersed with islands,
and checkered with inlets. Its eastern banks are
covered with trees. Along the western bank,
between the pond and Montcalm, extends the
turnpike road, the whole distance through a
beautiful village, shaded to the north, on either
side, by a growth of trees. Mascomy River
empties into this pond. On the W. bank is a
Shakers' settlement. Copper and other valua-
ble minerals are found here. Mountain Pond,
on the summit of Montcalm, is 200 rods long,
and 100 wide. First settlers, Nathaniel Bicknell,
Jonathan Paddleford, and Elisha Bingham. 10
miles S. E. from Dartmouth College, and 42 N.
W. from Concord.
Enfield, N. Y., Tompkins co. The surface of
this town is undulating, and watered by a few
small streams. The soil is a productive loam. 5
miles W. from Ithaca, and 175 W. from Albany.
Enosburg, Vt., Franklin co. The surface is
pleasantly diversified with hills and valleys; but
the soil is better adapted to grass than grain. It is
well watered by Missisco and Trout Rivers, and
two other considerable streams. These streams
afford numerous and excellent mill privileges.
The settlement was commenced in the spring of
1797, by emigrants mostly from other townships
in the state. 85 miles N. by W. from Montpe-
lier, and 37 N. E. from Burlington.
Ephratah, N. Y., Fulton co. Zimmerman's
and Garoga Creeks water this town, tlie surface
of which is uneven, and the soil sandy loam. It
is located 6 miles W. from Johnstown village, and
51 N. W. from Albany.
Ephratah, Pa., Lancaster co. This town was
settled by a religious sect called Tunkers, or
Dunkers. (See Hayward's Book of Religions.)
Epping, N. H., Rockingham co. This town
was formerly a part of Exeter. The soil in gen-
eral is very good. Lamprey River, at the W., re-
ceives the Patuckawav, and runs through the
whole length of the town. Another river runs
through the N. part, and from that circumstance
is called North River. 29 miles S. E. from Con-
cord, and 20 W. from Portsmouth.
Epsom, N. H., Merrimae co. The surface of
the town is generally uneven. The principal
eminences are called McCoy's Fort, Nat's and
Nottingham Mountains. The soil is in general
good. Great and Little Suncook are the only
streams deserving the name of rivers. Here are
3 ponds, Chestnut, Round, and Odiorne's. Brown
oxides, sulphuret of iron, varieties of quartz,
feldspar, and schorl are found here. Terra de
senna is found here ; it constitutes a very hand-
some and durable paint for cabinet work. First
settlers, Theodore Atkinson and others. 12 miles
E. from Concord. •
Equality, Is., c. h. Gallatin co. On the N.
side of Saline Creek. 187 miles S. S. E. from
Springfield. Salt is made here.
Erie County, N. Y., c. h. at Buffalo. Bounded
on the N. by Niagara, E. by Genesee and Wyo-
ming, S. by Cattaraugus co., and W. by Lake
Erie. It is watered by the Niagara River and
Buffalo, Cayuga, Cattaraugus, Cazenove, Seneca,
Ellicott's, Cauquaga, and Tonawanda Creeks.
The surface is somewhat hilly in the S., but is
mostly level or gently undulating. The soil is
generally fertile, yielding large crops of grass
and grain, and abundance of fruit. There are
no minerals of great value in this county. It
contains several Indian reservations, which are
mostly inhabited by the Seneca tribe. The
Erie Canal here communicates with the lake,