smaller streams, and some springs, give the town
good mill privileges, and produce much good
meadow. 10 miles W. from Fitchburg, and 60
W. by N. from Boston, by the Fitchburg Railroad.
Garland, Me., Penobscot co. On the head wa-
ters of the Kenduskeag. 74 miles N. E. by N.
from Augusta, and 27 N. W. from Bangor.
Garrard County, Ky., c. h. at Lancaster. Bound-
ed N. by the Kentucky River, separating it from
Jessamine co., E. by Paint Lick Creek, separat-
ing it from Madison co., S. by Laurel and
Rock counties, and W. by Dicks River, sep-
arating it from Lincoln and Doyle counties.
The soil is very fertile.
Gasconade County, Mo., c. h. at Hermon.
Bounded N. by Grand River, separating it from
Montgomery co., E. by Franklin and Crawford
counties, S. by Crawford, and W. by Osage co.
Drained by Gasconade and Bourbeuse Rivers,
and their branches. Surface mostly rough and
uneven; soil very fertile on the streams. Iron
ore, sulphur, saltpetre, limestone, and other min-
erals are found here.
Gaston County, N. C. New. Taken from Lin-
coln. On the southern border of the state. In-
cludes the height of land between the Yadkin and
Gaston, N. C., Northampton co. On the N.
side of the Roanoke River, 87 miles N. E. from
Raleigh. The railroad from Petersburg to Ra-
leigh crosses the Roanoke here.
Gates County, N. C., c. h. at Gatesville. Bound-
ed N. by Virginia, E. by Camden and Pasquo-
tank counties, S. by Perquimans and Chowan,
and W. by Chowan and Blackwater Rivers,
separating it from Hertford co.
Gates, N. Y., Monroe co. Surface undulating;
soil chiefly sandy. 3 miles W. from Rochester,
and 220 W. by N. from Albany.
Gauley Bridge, Va., Nicholas co. At the falls
of the Great Kanawha River, and junction of
the Gauley, 277 miles W. from Richmond. The
Kanawha is navigable to this place, where it has
a fall of 22 feet perpendicular, giving a great
Geauga County, 0., c. h. at Chardon. Bound-
ed N. by Lake Erie, E. by Ashtabula and Trum-
bull counties, S. by Portage, and W. by Cuya-
hoga co. The name of this county signifies
Grand, in the Indian language, and that is the
name of the principal river; there are several
smaller ones besides. The soil is good, well wa-
tered, and covered with timber. Iron is found in
Geddes, N. Y., Onondaga co. On the Erie
Canal, 2 miles W. of Syracuse, in the township
of Salma, incorporated as a village in 1832. It
is pleasantly situated at the head of Onondaga
Lake. The village has grown up rapidly, in con-
sequence of the discovery at this place of saline
springs, from which large quantities of salt are
made by solar evaporation. See Salina.
Genesee County, Mn., c. h. at Flint. Bounded
N. by Saginaw and Tuscola counties, E. by La-
pier, S. by Oakland and Livingston, and W. by
Shiawassee co. Watered by Flint and Shia-
wassee Rivers, the former affording good hy-
draulic power. Surface undulating; soil rich
Genesee County, N. Y., c. h. at Batavia. Taken
from Ontario county in 1802, and itself divid-
ed in 1841, the S. part forming Wyoming co.
Bounded on the N. by Orleans, E. by Monroe
and Livingston. S. by Wyoming, and W. by Erie
counties The surface is undulating, and watered
by Allen's, Black,, and Tonawanda Creeks. On
each side of the last-named stream is an Indian
reservation lying mostly in this county. The soil
is chiefly rich, sandy and gravelly loam, pecu-
liarly adapted to the growth of wheat. The
Tonawanda Railroad crosses the W. part of this
county to Batavia.
Genesee Falls, N. Y., Wyoming co. Incorpo-
rated in 1846. Situated at the falls of the Gene-
see River, and contains some of the most beau-
tiful and romantic scenery in the W. part of the
Genesee, N. Y., Alleghany co. Swan and Lit-
tle Genesee Creeks water this town, the surface
of which is elevated and broken ; the soil sandy
loam. 20 miles S. W. from Angelica, and 280
W. by S. from Albany.
Geneseo, N. Y., c. h. Livingston co. Watered by
some small tributaries of the Genesee River.
The surface is diversified; the soil remarkably
rich and fertile in the valley of the Genesee. 226
miles W. from Albany.
Geneva, N. Y., in Seneca township, Ontario
co. Beautifully situated at the N. W. extremity
of Seneca Lake. 199 miles W. from Albany, and
126 E. from Buffalo. The ground on which it is
built rises gradually from the lake shore, until
it attains to an elevation of about 100 feet. The
business part of the place lies at the foot of this
declivity, near to the lake shore. That which is
chiefly occupied for residences by the inhabitants
lies upon the more elevated ridge, and the plain
above it, parallel to the border of the lake; af-
fording a fine view of this lovely sheet of water,
which is one of the largest and most beautiful
lakes of New York, and is here about two miles
wide. The land W. of the village rises in a suc-
cession of terraces, as though formed at different
periods by the lake shore, when this body of wa-
ter may have been more elevated, and covered
more ground than it now does. These slopes
are highly cultivated, and ornamented here and
there with handsome buildings. The village
itself, in its natural situation, in the picturesque
and charming scenery which surrounds it, and
in the accessories which art, culture, and wealth
have added to its embellishments, combines al-
most every feature of attractiveness that can be
desired as a place of residence.
The following, from the notes of a traveller
through this part of the country in 1800, while
it will add something to our description, illus-
trates the taste and judgment which were exer-
cised in laying out the place: Geneva," he says,
is divided into upper and lower town. The
first establishments were on the margin of the
lake, as best adapted to business; but Captain
Williamson, struck with the peculiar beauty of
the elevated plain which crowns the high bank
of the lake, and the many advantages which it
possesses as a site for a town, began here to lay
out his building lots parallel with and facing the
lake. These lots are three quarters of an acre
deep, and half an acre in front. One article in
the agreement with Captain Williamson is, that
no buildings shall be erected on the east side of
the street, that the view of the lake may be kept
open. Those who purchase a lot have also the
option of purchasing such land as lies between
their lot and the lake, — a convenience and ad-
vantage which I suppose few will forego, — the