Hamilton, Pa., McKean co.
Hamilton County, Te., c. h. at Dallas. Bound-
ed N. by Bledsoe and Rhea counties, E. by
Bradley co., S. by Georgia, and W. by Marion
co. Watered by the Tennessee River and sev-
eral small tributaries, the largest of which is
Hammond, N. Y.; St. Lawrence co. Bounded
on the W. by the St. Lawrence River, and wa-
tered on the E. by Black Lake. The surface is
level; soil very productive. 26 miles S. W.
from Canton, and 184 N. W. from Albany.
Hampden, Me., Penobscot co. On the W.
bank of Penobscot River, below and adjoining
Bangor. A flourishing town, 62 miles E. N. E.
Hampden County, Ms., c. h. Springfield. This
county, until 1812, was the southern part of
Hampshire co. It is bounded N. by Hampshire
co., E. by Worcester co., S. by Tolland and
Hartford counties, Ct., and W. by Berkshire co.
Connecticut River passes from N. to S. through the
centre of the county; the Westfield from the W.,
the Chickopee from the E., with the Quinnebaug
and other rivers in different parts of the county,
afford it an immense water power. The West-
ern Railroad and Connecticut River Railroad
pass each other in this county, nearly at right
angles. With these facilities, the county of
Hampden takes a high stand among the manu-
facturing and agricultural districts in New Eng-
land. Some parts of this county are mountain-
ous, but the principal part is rather undulating
than hilly. Its highlands produce excellent food
for cattle, and its intervale lands are very supe-
rior in fertility and production.
Hampshire County, Ms., c. h. at Northampton.
This ancient county, although its limits have
been greatly reduced by the erection of Frank-
lin and Hampden counties, is still increasing
in agricultural, commercial, and manufacturing
strength. Located in the centre of the alluvial
basin of the noble Connecticut, blessed with a
rich and variegated soil, and great water power,
this must ever remain one of the most independ-
ent counties in New England. The Western
Railroad passes the western boundary of the
county, and a series of railroads, extends from
its centre to Long Island Sound. This county
is bounded S. by Hampden, W. by Berkshire, N.
by Franklin, and E. by Worcester counties.
Hampshire County, Va., c. h. at Romney. It is
bounded N. by the N. branch and main stream
of the Potomac River, separating it from Mary-
land, E. by Morgan and Frederick counties, and
S. and W. by Hardin co. Drained by the S.
branch and some other tributaries of the Potomac
River. Surface mountainous, particularly in
the E. part; but the soil in the valleys is of ex-
Hampstead, N. H., Rockingham co. This town
lies partly on the height of land between Merri-
mac and Piscataqua Rivers. Wash, Argly, and
Island Ponds are in this town. In Island is a
valuable farm, containing 300 acres. This town
was granted by Governor Benning Wentworth,
and named by him after a village 5 miles N. of
London, England. First settlers, Messrs. Emer-
son, Ford, Heath, and others, in 1728. 30 miles
S. E. from Concord, and 12 S. W. from Exeter.
Hampton, Ct., Windham co. This town was
taken from Windham and Pomfret in 1786. The
people are generally agriculturists, with a good
strong soil of an uneven surface. The village is
pleasantly situated on high ground. Hampton
has good mill seats on a branch of Shetucket
River. 35 miles E. of Hartford.
Hampton, N. H., Rockingham co. The soil is
well adapted to tillage and mowing, and about
one fifth of the territory is a salt marsh. Hamp-
ton is pleasantly situated ; many eminences afford
romantic views of the ocean, Isle of Shoals, and
sea-coast from Cape Ann to Portsmouth. Its
beaches have long been the resort of invalids and
parties of pleasure. Boar's Head is an abrupt
eminence, extending into the sea. The Indian
name of this town was Winnicumet. First set-
tlers, emigrants from the county of Norfolk. 10
miles S. W. from Portsmouth, and 46 S. E. from
Hampton Falls, N. H., Rockingham co. The
soil is generally good. This town was originally
a part of Hampton. First settlers, see Hampton.
50 miles S. E. from Concord, and 6 S. E. from
Hampton, N. Y., Washington co. Separated
on the N. from the state of Vermont by Poultney
River. The surface is somewhat hilly; the val-
leys fertile. 26 miles N. from Salem, and 73 N.
E. from Albany.
Hampton, Va., c. h. Elizabeth City co. Situated
on the W. side of Hampton River, about 1 mile
from its mouth, and 94 miles E. S. E. from Rich-
Hamptonburg, N. Y., Orange co. Bounded on
the W. by the Wallkill, and watered by Murder-
er's Creek. The surface is undulating; soil very
fertile. 4 miles N. E. from Goshen, and 100 S. S.
W. from Albany.
Hancock County, Ga., c. h. at Sparta. Bounded
N. by Greene and Taliaferro counties, E. by the
Ogeechee River, separating it from Warren co., S.
by Washington and Milledgeville counties, and
W. by the Oconee River, separating it from Put-
nam co. Drained by branches of the Oconee and
Hancock County, Is., c. h. at Carthage. Incor-
porated in 1825, and bounded N. by Henderson
co., E. by McDonough and Schuyler, S. by Mar-
quette and Adams, and W. by the Mississippi
River, separating it from Mississippi and Iowa.
Watered by Bear and Crooked Creeks and
branches, the former a tributary of the Mississip-
pi, and the latter of the Illinois River. Soil rich
in the W. part.
Hancock County, la., c. h. at Greenfield. Incor-
porated in 1828, and bounded N. by Hamilton
and Madison counties, E. by Henry and Rush, S.
by Shelby, and W. by Marion. Watered by Blue
River and Sugar and Brandywine Creeks, good
mill streams. Surface mostly level; soil fertile.
Hancock County, Ky., c. h. at Hawesville.
Bounded N. by the Ohio River, separating it
from Indiana, E. by Breckenridge co., S. by Gray-
son and Ohio counties, and W. by Owen co.
Watered on the S. boundary by Rough Creek, a
branch of Green River, and W. by Blackford's
River. Surface hilly, containing coal and iron
Hancock County, Me., c. h. at Ellsworth. E.
part of the state bordering on Penobscot Bay and
River, and the coast to the eastward, which is
deeply indented with many islands and excellent
harbors. Union River flows S. through the mid-
dle of it.
Hancock, Me., Aroostook co.