Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 395

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 394 ...Page 396

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


Harmony, N. J., Warren co. 58 miles N. by
W. from Trenton.

Harmony, N. Y., Chautauque co. Bounded on
the N. E. by Chautauque Lake, and drained by
Goose and Little Broken Straw Creeks. The
surface is rolling; soil sandy loam and clay. 10
miles S. from Maysville, and 338 W. by S. from

Harmony, Pa., Susquehanna co. The Susque-
hanna Iiiver, and Starucea and Conewanta
Creeks, its tributaries, water this town. Sur-
face hillv, having Oquaga Mountain on the

Harper's Ferry, Va., Jefferson co. At the pas-
sage of Potomac River through the Blue Ridge.
173 miles N. from Richmond. See
ble Resorts.

Harpersfield. N. Y., Delaware co. Delaware
and Charlotte Rivers water this town, the surface
of which is hilly and broken, and the soil rich
loam. 18 miles N. E. from Delhi, and 62 S. W.
from Albany.

Harpswell, Me.. Cumberland co., comprises a
promontory in Casco Bay, and several islands
surrounding it. The soil is fertile, and in sum-
mer the town is resorted to by invalids and par-
ties of pleasure. 22 miles N. E. from Portland
by water, and 4 S. E. from Brunswick.

Harwich, Ms., Barnstable co. This town is
situated upon the S. side of the cape, and formerly
included the town of Brewster, from which it was
separated in 1803. It was settled by emigrants
from Eastham and Plymouth in 1647. Harwich
is most abundantly supplied with pure fresh
water, having within its limits no less than 8
ponds, of from 1 to 6 miles in circumference, be-
sides a considerable number of inferior ones.
Long Pond, which divides Brewster from Har-
wich, is the source of Herring River. It is 3
miles long, and abounds with fish, and is on an
elevation of 10 feet above the sea. All these
ponds are of the greatest purity. The surface is
gently undulating, more level than that of other
towns on the cape, and is mostly covered with
oak and pine wood. The soil is light, and well
adapted to fruit trees. Harwich contains 3 hand-
some and thriving villages. The academy in the
central village is a beautiful specimen of archi-
tecture, of tlie Doric order. 30 miles N. from
Nantucket Harbor, from which island it is sepa-
rated by the “ Shoals " and the Vineyard Sound
Channel. 14 miles E. fiom Barnstable.

Harrietstown, N. Y., Franklin co. This town
contains Lower Saranac and several other small
lakes, which are the sources of Racket and Sar-
anac Rivers. It was incorporated from Duane
in 1841, and a large part of it is a wilderness.
35 miles S. from Malone, and 190 N. by W. from

Harrington-, N. J., Bergen co. Bounded on the
E. by Hudson River, and drained by the Hack-
ensack and its branches. Along the Hudson ex-
tend the Palisades, which are here elevated 400
feet. The surface elsewhere is level, and the
soil rich Ioann

Harris County, Ga., c. h. at Hamilton. Bound-
ed N. by Troup, E. by Talbot, S. by Muscogee
co., and* W. by the Chattahoochee River, separat-
ing it from Alabama. Drained by Long, Flat
Shoal, Mulberry, Pine, and other creeks flowing
into the Chattahoochee. Pine Mountain trav-
erses the N. part of this county.

Harris County, Ts., c. h. at Houston. S. E.

part. Touches Galveston Bay. Watered by
San Jacinto and Buffalo Bayou.

Harrisburg, N. Y., Lewis co. Drained by
Deer Creek, and has a productive soil. 12 miles
N. W. from Martinsburg, and 140 from Albany.

Harrisburg, capital of the state of Pennsyl-
vania, and seat of justice for Dauphin co., is
situated on the E. bank of the Susquehanna
River, about 100 miles N. W. by W. from Phila-
delphia. Population in 1800, 1472; in 1810,
2287; in 1820, 2990; in 1830,‘4311; in 1840,
6020; in 1850, 8000. The town is built on a
peninsula formed by the Susquehanna on the
side, and Paxton Creek on the E. The northern
part of the site is a gently-swelling hill, while the
southern gradually sinks to a level plain, extend-
ing towards the junction of the creek with the
river. It is regularly laid out, with several
streets running parallel to the river, and others
crossing them at right angles. The situation
commands a tine view of the river and of the
surrounding country. The Pennsylvania Canal
passes along the vale of the Paxton Creek, E. of
the town.

The Susquehanna is here divided into two
channels by an island called Foster Island ; and
a fine bridge, nearly a mile in length, including
the crossing of the island, connects Harrisburg,
from the foot of Market Street, with Cumberland
co., on the opposite side of the river. This bridge
was finished in 1817, at a cost of $192,000. An-
other bridge over the Susquehanna, built in 1837
for the Cumberland Valley Railroad, but having
also a way for ordinary travel, enters the town
two squares below. This is an immense struc-
ture, nearly 4000 feet in length, having 23 spans,
averaging 173 feet, and two arched viaducts, one
53 and the other 84 feet wide. The railroad
track passes upon the top of the bridge, and a
double carriage way is beneath. The cost of this
bridge was but a little short of $100,000. This
railroad connects Harrisburg with Chambers-
burg, 56 miles, W. by S., and there unites with
the Franklin Railroad, extending to Hagerstown,
in Maryland. Harrisburg is also connected by
lines of railroad communication with Philadel-
phia on the E., and with Pittsburg on the W. It
is brought into connection with a laVge portion
of the interior of the state, as well as of the ad-
joining states, and of the west, by the great Penn-
sylvania Canal, with its various branches.

The State House at Harrisburg is a building
of imposing appearance, having the advantage
of a fine situation in the most elevated part of
the town, facing towards the river, to which the
ground gradually descends. The edifice consists
of a main building, and two wings which were
intended to be connected with the centre by walls,
and are so placed that their porticoes are all in a
range upon the front. The main building is 180
feet front by 80 feet deep, and two stories high.
The chambers of the legislature are in the lower
story, and the upper is appropriated to the Gov-
ernor's room, and two rooms for the state library,
which contains about 10,000 volumes. The
wings are appropriated to the public offices.

The front of the main building is decorated
with a circular portico of six Ionic columns, 4
feet in diameter and 36 feet high. The edifice is
surmounted by a beautiful dome, the top of which
is 108 feet from the ground. From the cupola is
presented one of the finest prospects in the state.

The other public edifices are the Court House,

A Gazetteer of the United States of America by John Hayward.

Hartford, CT: Case, Tiffany and Company. 1853. Public domain image

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.