Hunter, N. Y., Greene co. Drained by some
of the head branches of Schoharie Creek. The
surface is mountainous, being covered by the
Catskill range of mountains. The highest peak,
called Bound Top, is elevated 3804 feet above
the Hudson. Soil mostly sterile. 18 miles W.
from Catskill, and 55 S. W. from Albany.
Hunterdon County, N. J., c. h. at Elemington.
Bounded N. by Warren and Morris counties,
E. by Somerset, S. by Mercer co., and W. by the
Delaware River, separating it from Pennsylva-
nia. Drained by the S. branch of the Raritan
and its tributaries, and by small creeks flowing
into the Delaware. Surface mountainous in the
N. and level in the S. portions; soil mostly of
Huntingdon County, Pa., c. h. at Huntingdon.
Incorporated in 1787, and bounded N. by Cen-
tre co., E. by Mifflin, Juniata, and Perry, S. by
Bedford, and W. by Blair co. Watered by the
main and Raystown branch of the Juniata River.
The Pennsylvania Canal runs parallel to the Ju-
niata River through this county. Surface moun-
tainous in some parts ; soil mostly fertile. Iron
ore, lead, bituminous coal, alum, and salt exist here.
Huntingdon, Pa., c. h. Huntingdon co. On
the W. side of the Frankstown branch, at its en-
trance into Juniata River, and 92 miles W. N. W.
from Harrisburg. The Pennsylvania Canal and
the Pennsylvania Railroad pass through it.
Huntingdon, Pa., Adams co. Bounded W. by
Bermudian Creek. Surface level; soil gravel and
calcareous loam. 12 miles N. E. from Gettsyburg.
Huntingdon, Pa., Luzerne co. North Mountain
lies in the N., and Knob Mountain in the S. E.
part of thi3 town. The rest of the surface is un-
dulating, and the soil fertile.
Huntingdon, Te., c. h. Carroll co. On the S.
fork of Obion River. 98 miles W. from Nashville.
Huntington, Ct., Fairfield co. This is a town-
ship of uneven surface, but well adapted to agri-
cultural purposes, to which the inhabitants are
Huntington County, la., c. h. at Huntington. In-
corporated in 1832, and is bounded N. by Whit-
ley co., E. by Allen and Wells, S. by Grant, and
W. by Wabash. Watered by the Wabash and
its branches, Salmaina and Little Rivers. The
Wabash and Erie Canal also traverses this coun-
ty. Surface level or undulating.
Huntington, la., c. h. Huntington co. On the N.
side of Wabash River. 105 miles N. N. E. from
Huntington, N. Y., Suffolk co. A large town,
extending across the widest part of Long Island,
and including Oak Island Beach. It is indented
by several large bays on the N., and watered on
the S. by some small streams flowing into the Great
South Bay. The surface is somewhat hilly; the
soil various. 35 miles W. from Riverhead, and
198 S. S. E. from Albany.
Huntersville, Va., c. h. Pocahontas co. On
Knapp's Creek, 6 miles from its mouth, at an ele-
vation of 1800 feet above the Atlantic. W. N.
W. from Richmond 190 miles.
Huntsville, Aa., shire town of Madison co.
About 180 miles N. by W. from Montgomery,
and 150 N. by E. from Tuscaloosa. It is a neat
and thriving place, situated in the northern part
of the state, about 10 miles N. of the Tennessee
River, and 30 miles from the railroad at Decatur,
which runs to Tuscumbia. It is principally built
of brick, and many of the houses are elegant and
costly. Among the public buildings, it contains
a court house of Grecian architecture, which cost
$45,000 ; a banking house of hewn stone, with an
Ionic portico, built at a cost of $80,000 ; a hand-
some market house; a U. S. land office; an acad-
emy; and several churches. The streets are
McAdamized, and kept remarkably clean. The
town is abundantly supplied with pure and cool
water from a spring, which breaks out at the foot
of a rock with force sufficient to drive a forcing
pump for elevating and distributing it to all the
dwellings. A fine McAdamized road, commen-
cing 4 miles N. of the town, passes through it,
and extends to the Tennessee River.
Hurley, N. Y., Ulster co. Esopus Creek wa-
ters this town, the surface of which is hilly, and
the soil fertile. 6 miles W. from Kingstown vil-
lage, and 60 S. S. W. from Albany.
Huron, N. Y., Wayne co. Bounded on the N.
by Lake Ontario. Port Bay lies wholly, and
East and Sodus Bays partly, within this town.
Surface level; soil sandy and gravelly loam. 14
miles N. from Lyons, and 195 N.W. from Albany.
Huron County, O., c. h. at Norwalk. It is
bounded N. by Lake Erie, is very fertile, and is
watered by the Huron and Vermilion Rivers, La
Chapelle, Old Woman's, Pipe, and Cold Creeks.
Sandusky Bay is on the northern boundary, and
it has two excellent harbors on the shore of Lake
Erie. Emigrants from Connecticut and other
N. E. States were the first settlers. All the tract
called fire land lies within this county. The rail-
road from Cincinnati to Lake Erie passes through
the county, and it is a rising, prosperous region.
Huron County, Mn., includes the projection be-
tween Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron.
Huron, 0., Huron co. The situation of this
town causes it to be a place of great importance;
it is located on the shore of Lake Erie, at the
mouth of Huron River, aud has an excellent ar-
tificial harbor. Commercial business is carried
on here to a large extent; it has improved rapid-
ly for a few years past. 47 miles W. from Cleve-
land, and 120 from Columbus.
Hyannis, Ms., Barnstable co., in the town of
Barnstable. 5 miles S. E. from Barnstable court
house, and 77 S. E. from Boston.
Hyde County, N. C., c. h. at Lake Landing.
Bounded N. by Washington and Tyrrell counties,
E. and S. by Pamlico Sound, and W. by Beau-
fort co. Surface flat and marshy.
Hyde Park, N. Y., Dutchess co. On the E.
bank of the Hudson. Watered by Crum Elbow
Creek and some other small streams. The sur-
face is somewhat hilly and uneven, and the soil
of a good quality along the border of the river.
6 miles N. from Poughkeepsie village, and 68 S.
Hydepart, Vt., c. h. Lamoille co. The La-
moille, Green, and other rivers give this town
a great water power. The soil is generally of
a good quality, and easily cultivated. There
are in the N. E. part of the town 12 ponds,
containing from 1 to 50 acres, besides sever-
al smaller ones. Some of them have names,
such as Great, Clear, George's, Zack's, Mud
Pond. Hydepark village is situated in the S. W.
part of the town, on a beautiful elevated plain.
This town has a valuable water power, and
is surrounded by a country rich in agricultural
and mineral productions. The settlement was
commenced by John McDaniel, Esq., who re-
moved his family here July 4, 1787. He emi-