Swatara Creeks water this town, and the Union
Canal crosses it from E. to AV. Surface level;
soil calcareous loam. 7 miles E. from Lebanon.
Jackson, Pa., Susquehanna co. Lackawannock
and Tunkhannock Creeks water this town, the
surface of which is hilly; soil gravel and clay.
] 81 miles N. E. from Harrisburg.
Jackson, Pa., Tioga co. Surface hilly, and
watered by Seely's and Mill Creeks; soil loam
Jackson County, Te., c. h. at Gainesboro'.
Bounded N. by Kentucky, E. by Overton co., S.
by Putnam, and W. by Smith and Macon coun-
ties. Cumberland River and its branches water
Jackson, Te., c. h. Madison co. On the N. side
of Forked Deer River. 134 miles' AY. S. AY.
Jackson County, Ts., c. h. at Texana. On La
Jackson County, Ya., c. h. at Ripley. Bounded
N. E. by Wood co., S. E. by Kanawha, S. W. by
Mason, and N. W. by the Ohio River. Big Sand
and Big Mill Creeks, and a tributary of Little
Kanawha River, drain this county.
Jackson, Ya., c. h. Jackson co. 336 miles
W. N. W. from Richmond.
Jacksonboro', Ga., c. h. Scriven co. On the AY.
side of Brier Creek. 116 miles E. S. E. from
Jacksonville. Aa., c. h. Benton co. 2 miles E.
from Tallasseehatchee Creek, and 139 E. N. E.
Jacksonville, Fa., c. h. Duvall co. On the N. W.
bank of St. John's River. 252 miles E. from
Jacksonville, Is., c. h. Morgan co. 33 miles W.
from Springfield, in the midst of a fertile prairie,
the seat of Illinois College. See Colleges. One
of the largest inland towns in the state, and con-
nected with the Illinois River and with Spring-
field by railroad.
Jaffrey, N. II., Cheshire co. The Grand Mo-
nadnock lies in the N. W. part of this town, and
in Dublin. Innumerable streams of water issue
from it; the largest rises 100 rods from the sum-
mit, and descends in a S. E. direction. The soil
of Jaffrey is uneven, affording numerous mead-
ows and rich pastures. There are several ponds
in Jaffrey. Out of 3 issue streams sufficient to
carry mills. In the largest, which is 400 rods
long, and 140 wide, is an island comprising about
10 acres. About l£ miles S. E. from the moun-
tain is the Monadnock Mineral Spring.'' It
preserves so uniform a temperature as never to
have been known to freeze. The spring is slightly
impregnated with carbonate of iron and sulphate
of soda, and where it issues from the earth yellow
ochre is thrown out. Jaffrey received its name
from George Jaffrey, Esq., of Portsmouth, one
of the original proprietors. First settlers, Mr.
Grant and John Davison, in 1758. 46 miles
S. W. by S. from Concord, and about 15 S. E.
Jamaica Plains, Ms., in the town of West Rox-
bury, Norfolk co. 3£ miles S. W. from Boston,
by railroad. Has many beautiful country seats.
Jamaica, N. Y., Queen's co. This town con-
tains the greater part of Jamaica Bay, into which
flows several small streams. The surface is hilly
on the N., and on the S. are extensive salt
marshes. The soil is chiefly sandy loam of good
quality. Its W. part contains the Union Race
Course. 8 miles E. from Brooklyn, and 158 S
Jamaica, Yt., Windham co. AYest River passes
through this township, and, together with its trib-
utaries, affords excellent mill privileges. The
surface is broken and mountainous, and the ele-
vations rocky; but the soil is in general warm
and productive. A range of primitive limestone
passes through the township. There is a pleasant
and flourishing village near the centre of the
town. The settlement was commenced in 1780,
by people from Mendon, Ms., and its vicinity.
90 miles S. from Montpelier, and 14 N. W. from
James City County, Va., c. h. at Williamsburg.
Bounded N. E. by York River, separating it from
Gloucester co., S. E. by York co., S. and W. by
James and Chickahominy Rivers, separating it
from Surry and Charles City counties, and N. AY.
by New Kent co.
Jamestown, N. Y., Chautauque co. On the
S. E. end of Chautauque Lake, at its outlet. 331
miles W. by S. from Albany. A manufacturing
place, in the shops of which are produced almost
every variety of fabrics, wares, agricultural im-
plements, and household utensils. A steamboat
runs to Maysville, 21 miles, at the western end
of the lake.
Jamestown, R. I., Newport co. This town com-
prises Connanicut, a beautiful island in Narra-
ganset Bay, about 8 miles in length; its average
breadth is about a mile. The soil is a rich loam,
and peculiarly adapted for grazing, and the pro-
duction of Indian corn and barley. The inhab-
itants of this island are" remarkable for their in-
dustry and agricultural skill, which, united with
the fertility of the soil and the location of tho
island, renders it a delightful place. The dis-
tance from the town or island to Newport and
South Kingston is about a mile each way; to
each of those places a ferry is established. The
island was purchased of the Indians in 1657.
Jamestown, Ya., James City co. This is the
oldest English settlement in the United States,
having been made in 1608. It was located on a
point of land extending into James River, 32
miles above its mouth, and is now in rains, con-
taining the remains of a church steeple and grave-
yard, some ancient fortifications, and 2 or 3 old
houses. 8 miles S. W. from AVilliamsburg, and
65 E. S. E. from Richmond.
Janesville, Wn., c. h. Rock co. On Rock River.
A flourishing place, 30 miles S. W. from Madison.
Jasper County, Ga., c. h. atMonticello. Bounded
N. by Newton and Morgan counties, E. by Put-
nam, S. by Jones co., and W. by the Ockmulgee
Jasper County, Is., c. h. at Newton. Bounded
N. by Cumberland, E. by Crawford, S. by Rich-
land, and AY. by Clay and Effingham counties.
Surface flat, and rather low, two thirds being
prairie. Embarrass River drains this county.
Jasper County, la., c. h. at Rensselaer. Bounded
N. by the Kankakee River, separating it from
Lake and Porter counties, E. by Stark, Pulaski,
and White counties, S. by Benton co., and W.
by Illinois. Drained by the Iroquois River, and
Pine and Sugar Creeks.
Jasper, la., c. h. Dubois co. On the N. W.
side of Patoka Creek. 124 miles S. S. W. from
Jasper County, Io., c. h. at Newton. S. central.
Jasper County, Mi., c. h. at Paulding. Bounded