Kingsbury, N. Y., Washington co. Half shire
town with Salem. Watered by the Hudson
River and a branch of Wood Creek. The surface
is mostly level; soil generally fertile. 55 miles
N. from Albany.
King's Bridge, N. Y., New York co. At the
N. end of Manhattan Island, near a bridge cross-
ing Spuyten Duval Creek, which connects the
East and North Rivers. N. from City Hall 13
miles, and S. from Albany 136. The Hudson
River Railroad passes through it.
Kingsessing, Pa., Philadelphia co. This town
comprises several islands lying in the Delaware
River, which bounds it on the S. E. The Schuyl-
kill River also runs on its E., and Darby Creek
on its W. border. Mud Island, in the Delaware,
was the site of Fort Mifflin, which made an ob-
stinate defence against the British in 1777. Bor-
dering on the Schuylkill is a fine botanical garden,
founded by the celebrated naturalist Bartratn.
The surface of the town is level; soil alluvial.
7 miles S. W. from Philadelphia, and 98 E. by S.
Kingston, Aa., c. h. Autauga co. On the W.
side of Autauga Creek. 86 miles from Tusca-
Kingston, Ms., Plymouth co., was formerly a
part of Plymouth, and set off and called Jones's
River Parish, in 1717. The harbor of Kingston,
in common with that of Duxbury, lies within the
Gurnet, which forms the northern boundary of
Plymouth Harbor. Jones's River, a small stream,
the outlet of several ponds, gives the town good
mill privileges. Monk's Hill, near the line of
Plymouth, commands delightful views on every
side. The village, which is elevated, presents fine
views of the harbor and sea. 4^ miles N. N. W.
from Plymouth, and 33f S. E. from Boston by the
Old Colony Railroad.
Kingston, Mo., c. h. Caldwell co.
Kingston, N. H., Rockingham co. There are
several ponds in this town. The largest, Great
Pond, contains upwards of 300 acres, with an
island of 10 or 12 acres, covered with wood.
There are no high hills; Great Hill and Rock-
rimmon Hill are the highest. The soil is gener-
ally loamy. First settled in 1694. 38 miles S.
E. from Concord, and 6 S. from the railroad depot
Kingston, N. J., Middlesex and Somerset coun-
ties. On Millstone Creek, midway between
Philadelphia and New York, and 14 miles N. E.
from Trenton. The Delaware and Raritan Ca-
nal passes through it.
Kingston, N. Y., c. h. Ulster co. Bounded on
the E. by the Hudson, and watered by Esopus
Creek. Surface rolling; soil fertile sandy loam
upon a basis of lime and slate. 58 miles S. S. W.
frpm Albany. This is a landing place for visit-
ors to the Catskill Mountains.
Kingston, Pa., Luzerne co. Bounded on the
S. E. by the Susquehanna River. Surface un-
even; soil productive. 127 miles N. E. from
Kingston, R. I., c. h. Washington co. 32 miles
S. by W. from Providence.
Kingston, Te., • c. h. Roane co. At the junc-
tion of Clinch and Tennessee Rivers. 143 miles
E. by S. from Nashville.
Kingstree, S. C., c. h. Williamsburg district. On
Black River. 105 miles E. S. E. from Columbia.
King William County, Ya., c. h. at King Wil-
liam. This county lies between Mattapony River
on the N. E., separating it from King and
Queen co., and the Pamunky on the S. W., sep-
arating it from New Kent and Hanover coun-
ties. Caroline co. bounds it on the N. W.
Drained by tributaries of Mattapony and Pa-
King William, Ya., c. h. King William co. 38
miles N. E. by E. from Richmond.
Kingwood, N. J., Hunterdon co. Watered by
Loakatong Creek. Surface hilly and undulat-
ing; soil fertile, consisting of red shale, clay,
and loam. 29 miles N. W. from Trenton.
Kinston, N. C., c. h. Lenoir co.
Kirby, Yt., Caledonia co. There are some
tracts of good land in Kirby, but the township
is generally either wet and cold or too moun-
tainous for cultivation. It has a number of
springs, brooks, and a good fish pond. The
settlement was commenced about the year 1799,
by Phineas Page and Theophilus Grant. 15
miles N. E. from Danville, and 45 N. E. from
Kirkland, Me., Penobscot co. 15 miles N. N. W.
Kirkland, N. Y., Oneida co. Oriskany Creek
waters this town, the surface of which is varied,
and the soil fertile calcareous loam. 10 miles
S. W. from Utica, and 105 W. by N. from Al-
Kirksville, Mi., c. h. Adair co.
Kiskiminitas, Pa., Armstrong co. Bounded
on the S. E. by the Kiskiminitas or Cone-
maugh River. Salt is found in this town, and
the Pennsylvania Canal traverses a part of it.
187 miles W. N. W. from Harrisburg.
Kittaning, Pa., c. h. Armstrong co. On the
Alleghany River. 187 miles W. N. W. from
Kittery, Me., York co. A seaport town on the
N. E. bank of the Piscataqua River, being the
extreme south-western boundary of the state, on
the Atlantic, adjoining York on the N. E., and
Elliot on the N. W. It is one of the earliest
settlements in the province, or state, and had its
share of trial and suffering with others of their
days, from repeated incursions of the Indians.
The river, or inlet, called Spruce Creek, affords
a convenient harbor for vessels usually employed
in the coasting trade and fishery, and formerly
considerable trade was carried on with the West
Indies from this place; but at present there is
little done in the way of navigation, except in
ship building and the fishery. Kittery is divided
from Portsmouth, N. H., by the Piscataqua. A
bridge connects it with that place. Another
bridge connects it with Badger's Island, on which
is the United States navy yard. Kittery lies 50
miles S. W. from Portland.
Knowlton, N.J., Warren co. Paulin's Kill, Bea-
ver Brook, and Shawpocussing Creek water this
town, and on its N. border lies Blue Mountain,
where is the celebrated Water Gap. Surface
hilly; soil calcareous loam in the valleys, and
slaty in the elevated portions. 66 miles N. by
W. from Trenton.
Knox County, Is., c. h. at Knoxville. Bounded
N. by Henry, E. by Stark and Peoria, S. by Ful-
ton, and W. by Warren and Mercer counties.
Watered by Spoon and Henderson Rivers and
branches. A large part of the surface is prairie;
Knox County, la., c. h. at Yincennes. Incorpo-
rated in 1802, and bounded N. by Sullivan and