Lewis County, Ky., c. h. Clarksburg. Bounded
N. by the Ohio River, separating it from Ohio, E.
by Greenup co., S. by Craven and Fleming, and
W. by Mason co. Drained by Salt Lick and
Kinniconiek Creeks, branches of the Ohio River.
Lewis County, Mo., c. h. at Waterloo. Bounded
N. by Clark co., E. by the Mississippi River, S.
by Marion and Shelby counties, and W. by Knox
co. Drained by Fabius and Wyaeonda Rivers.
Surface undulating; soil excellent.
Lewis County, N. Y., c. h. at Martinsburg.
Bounded on the N. by Jefferson and St. Law-
rence, E. by Herkimer, S. by Oneida, and W. by
Oswego and Jefferson counties. It is watered by
Black, Beaver, Independence, Moose, Indian,
Oswegatchie, and Salmon Rivers, and Salmon
and Fish Creeks. Surface hilly and broken; soil
diversified, being very fertile on the borders of
Black River. Iron ore and galena are mined to
a considerable extent.
Lewis, N. Y., Essex co. Watered by Boquet
River and its branches. The surface is diversified
with hills and mountains; the soil tolerably
good. 10 miles N. from Elizabeth, and 141 from
Lewis County, On. N. of the Oregon River.
Lewis County, Te., c. h. at Newburg. New.
Lewis, Yt., Essex co. Lewis is an uninhabited
township in the N. part of Essex co. It was
chartered June 29,1762. It is mountainous, and
has no streams of consequence excepting the N.
branch of Nulhegan River, which crosses the N.
Lewis County, Ya., c. h. at Weston. Bounded
N. by Ritchie, Harrison, and Barbour counties,
E. by Randolph, S. by Braxton and Kanawha,
and W. by Wood co. Watered by the Little
Kanawha River and branches, and by the W.
and branches of the E. fork of the Monongahela
River. Surface rough and broken.
Lewisboro', N. Y., Westchester co. Watered on
the W. by Croton River and some of its branch-
es. Surface rather broken; soil clay and sandy
loam. 18 miles N. from White Plains, and 119
S. from Albany.
Lewisburg, Pa., Union co. On the W. bank of
Susquehanna River, just below the entrance of
Buffalo Creek, on the West Branch Canal, and
67 miles N. from Harrisburg. A place of much
Lewisburg, Te., c. h. Marshall co. 54 miles S.
Lewisburg, Ya., c. h. Greenbrier co. 9 miles
W. from the White Sulphur Springs, and 214
miles W. from Richmond. Here are the cele-
brated White Sulphur Springs of Virginia. See
Lewiston, Me., Lincoln co. On the E. side of
the Androscoggin, which here descends 47 feet in
the distance of 12 or 15 rods, producing a great
water power, which is already availed of for cot-
ton factories, and which promises to render Lew-
iston one of the great manufacturing towns of
New England. The Waterville Railroad, branch-
ing from the Portland and Atlantic, passes through
it. The town extends along the river 13 miles,
and at the foot of the falls is connected with Mi-
not by a bridge 1000 feet long. 33 miles W. of
N. from Portland.
Lewiston, N. Y., Niagara co. On the Niagara
River, opposite Queenstown, U. C., at the head
of navigation, 7 miles from Lake Ontario. The
surface is level, with the exception of a high ridge
extending from E. to W. 15 miles W. from
Lockport, and 10 by railroad from Niagara Falls.
Lewistown, Pa., c. h. Mifflin co. On the N. side
of Juniata River, at the entrance of Kishco-
quillas Creek. 57 miles N. W. from Harrisburg.
A large and handsome place, with streets cross-
ing each other at right angles. The Pennsyl-
vania Canal passes here.
Lewisville, As., c. h. Fayette co. A few miles
E. of Red River.
Lexington, Ga., c. h. Oglethorpe co. 70 miles
N. from Milledgeville.
Lexington, la., c. h. Scott co. 11 miles W. from
the Ohio River, on the head branches of the Mus
catauck Fork of White River. S. by E. from
Indianapolis 89 miles.
Lexington, Ky., city, and seat of justice for Fay
ette co., is situated on the Town Fork of Elkhorn
River, 24 miles E. S. E. from Frankfort, and 74
mil.es E. from Louisville. Population 7000.
It is one of the handsomest places in Ken-
tucky, and was formerly the capital of the state.
The city is laid out two miles square, with broad
streets intersecting each other at right angles,
many of them paved and well built. The main
street is about a mile and a half in length, with a
width of 80 feet. There are upon this street many
splendid buildings. In the centre of the city is
a public square, upon which is a market house,
richly supplied from the surrounding country.
The district of country in which Lexington is
situated is highly fertile and beautiful. Few towns
have in this respect a more delightful location
than this. It has also, within itself, an air of neat-
ness, opulence, and repose, which is grateful to
the eye and to the heart of a stranger. The
churches and public edifices are built mostly of
brick, as are a great number of the stores and
private dwellings. Besides the court house and
county prison, the city contains the buildings of
several literary and philanthropic institutions,
which are highly ornamental in their architectu-
ral effect, as well as indicative of intelligence and
refinement in the citizens. Transylvania Univer-
sity was established here by the legislature of
Kentucky, in 1798, and continued, until within a
few years, to be a state institution. It has lately
passed into the hands of the Methodist Episcopal
church. The Transylvania Seminary,'' which
preceded the university, and which, with the Ken-
tucky Academy, was merged in that institution
when the state took it up, was established by the
legislature of Virginia in 1780, and was the first
literary institution of the kind established in the
west. The university has a medical department,
whose graduates are more numerous than those
of any other institution in the country, excepting
two in Philadelphia. The University Hall and
the Medical Hall are both beautiful buildings.
The Lunatic Asylum, at Lexington, is one of the
noblest institutions in the state. The buildings
are very extensive and commodious, with grounds
embracing 30 acres, handsomely improved and
ornamented. Another handsome edifice is that
of the Masonic Hall. In the vicinity of the city
are numerous country seats, including that of
our late distinguished statesman Henry Clay.
Ashland, as the late domicile of Mr. Clay is
named, is on the turnpike road leading to
Richmond, a mile and a half S. E. of the court
house in Lexington. The house is a spacious
brick mansion, with wings, surrounded with lawns
and pleasure grounds, which are planted with