mcnced about the year 1770. 3 miles N. from
Guildhall, and 71 N. E. from Montpelier.
Malden, Ms., Middlesex co. This town is con-
nected with Charlestown by a bridge across Mys-
tic River, of 2420 feet in length, built in 1787.
It was formerly a part of Charlestown, and called
Mystic Side. Malden has a rich soil, varied sur-
face, and good water power. There are two de-
lightful and flourishing villages in the town,
through both of which the Maine railroad passes.
5 miles from Boston.
Malden, N. Y., Ulster co. On the W. bank of
Hudson River, 43 miles S. by W. from Albany.
Leather and flagging stone pavements are export-
ed from this place in large quantities.
Malone, N. Y., c. h. Franklin co. It is bounded on
the N. by Canada, and is drained by Salmon and
Trout Rivers.' The Ogdensburg Railroad passes
through it. 61 miles E. from Ogdensburg, and
212 miles N. N. W. from Albany.
Malta, N. Y., Saratoga co. Drained by the
outlet of Round and Ballston or Long Lakes,
and by Anthony's Kill. Saratoga Lake also lies
on the N. E. boundary. Surface undulating; soil
clay loam and sand. 6 miles S. E. from Balls-
ton Spa, and 24 N. from Albany.
Mamakating, N. Y., Sullivan co. Watered by
Bashe's Kill, nearly parallel to which runs the
Delaware and Hudson Canal. The surface is
hilly and mountainous, Shawangunk Mountain
lying in the E., and a high ridge in the W. part.
12 miles E. from Monticello, and 101 S. S. W.
Mamaroneck, N. Y., Westchester co. Bounded
on the S. by Long Island Sound, and drained by
Mamaroneck Creek. Surface hilly; soil clay
and sandy loam. 7 miles S. from White Plains,
and 138 S. from Albany.
Manayunk, Pa., Philadelphia co. On the
E. bank of the Schuylkill River. 7 miles N.
N. W. from Philadelphia, and 99 miles E. by S.
from Harrisburg. The waste water of the Schuyl-
kill Canal makes a large water power. The
Norristown Railroad passes through this place.
There is a large amount of manufacturing and
other business done here.
Manchester, Ct., Hartford co. An important
manufacturing town on the Hockanum. The
first cotton mill in this state was built here in
1794. The face of the town is uneven, but the
soil, a sandy and gravelly loam, is quite produc-
tive. 9 miles E. from Hartford.
Manchester, Ky., c. h. Clay co. On the W. side
of Goose Creek, a branch of Kentucky River, and
119 miles S. E. from Frankfort.
Manchester, Ms., Essex co. This town was for-
merly a part of Salem, called Jeffrey's Creek,
and was settled by William Jeffrey, as early as
1628. The surface of the town is rocky, but
pleasantly diversified; the soil is various, but
generally good. Massachusetts Bay is on
the S. of this town. The harbor here is well
protected. The village is pleasantly situated on
a southern declivity towards the harbor. Man-
chester is celebrated for producing the magnolia,
a beautiful flowering tree, rarely found in New
England. It is about a dozen feet in height, with
deep-green leaves and white flowers. It possesses
a delicious fragrance, and flowers about the first
of July. 8 miles N. E. from Salem, and 22 N. E.
from Boston. The railroad between Beverly and
Gloucester passes through the town.
Manchester, N. H., Hillsboro' co. This town lies
<¥i the E. side of Merrimac River, on which it is
bounded, 9 miles ; it is otherwise bounded N. by
Hooksett, E. by Chester, and S. by Litchfield.
Massabesick Lake lies at the E. of the town.
It is a fine sheet of water, with many islands, and
presenting some of the flnest prospects in this
part of the state. This lake or pond is divided
into two nearly equal parts by a narrow strait
crossed by a bridge ; each of these parts is about
3 miles long by 1 mile wide. Its outlet, the Cohas
Brook, is a fine mill stream, and the only con-
siderable stream rising in the town.
The soil of a considerable part of the town is
light and sandy. The intervales on the river are
inconsiderable, but of easy cultivation and pro-
ductive, and the swells afford so.me fine farms.
The Amoskeag Falls, between Manchester and
Goffstown, are the largest on the Merrimac. At
an ordinary stage of the water, the fall to the
foot of the locks is 47 feet, and the whole fall in
the distance of a mile is 54 feet. A permanent
stone dam is erected across the river at the head
of the falls, and on the E. side, guard gates of
most substantial masonry are constructed, through
which the water passes into a spacious basin con-
nected with the upper canal for the use of the
mills, and with the Amoskeag Canal for pur-
poses of navigation.
The upper canal is 4950 feet long, 75 feet wide
at the basin, from which it is gradually narrowed
to 45 feet, is 10 feet deep, and walled throughout
with stone. The lower canal, which occupies the
place of the Amoskeag Canal, is 7500 feet long,
of a size and depth corresponding with the upper
canal, and constructed in a similar manner. The
fall from the upper into the lower canal is 20
feet, and. from the latter into the river varies from
20 to 30 feet. The water power is estimated by
competent engineers to be sufficient to drive
216.000 spindles, with all the machinery to com-
plete the manufacture of the cloth. The rapid
fall of the river below prevents any obstruction
from back water.
There are now in operation at this place 7
large cotton mills, 4 owned and operated by
the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, and 3
bv the Stark Mills Corporation, containing 105,000
spindles and 3000 looms, employing 640 males
and 3500 females, consuming annually 36,000
bales cotton, 635,000 pounds potato starch,
31.000 gallons sperm oil, 6700 cords wood, 1200
tons anthracite coal, and producing 39,500,000
yards of sheeting, shirting, ticking, denims, me-
rino stripes, and cotton flannel.
There are. connected with these mills an ex-
tensive blue dyeing establishment, long ranges
of cotton warehouses and buildings for repair
shops and counting houses, numerous blocks of
boarding houses for the operatives, containing
166 tenements, all of which buildings are built of
bricks in the most substantial manner, with slated
roofs, and well adapted for the purposes for
which they are used.
There is a large machine shop and founderv
owned by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Com-
pany, in which are employed 500 hands, and con-
sumes 350 tons bar iron and steel, 400 tons an-
thracite coal, 3000 tons pig iron, 30,000 bushels
charcoal, and can furnish annually 25 locomo-
tives anil the machinery necessary for a 25,000
spindle mill. There are blocks of houses con-
taining 66 tenements for the help employed in the
shop and foundery, and more in contemplation.