tain. The soil is various, but mostly productive.
14 miles S. from Kingston, and 75 from Albany.
New Philadelphia, 0., c. h. Tuscarawas co. On
a beautiful plain on the E. bank of Tuscarawas
River, opposite the entrance of Sugar Creek, and
115 miles E. N. E. from Columbus.
Newport, la., c. h. Vermilion co. On the S.
side of Vermilion River, 2 miles above its con-
fluence with the Wabash, and 78 W. from Indian-
Newport, Ky., c. h. Campbell co. On the Ohio
River, opposite Cincinnati, and just above the
mouth of Licking River. 86 miles N. N. E. from
Frankfort. Here is a United States arsenal.
Newport, Me., Penobscot co. A fine farming
town. 56 miles N. E. from Augusta, and 24
W. from Bangor.
Newport, Mo., c. h. Franklin co., occupies high
bluff's. 1 mile from the Missouri River, and 70
miles E. from Jefferson City.
Newport, N. H., c. h. Sullivan co. Its cen-
tral situation and its water power have ren-
dered it a place of considerable business. Near
the centre of the town, and the confluence of
the E. and S. branches of Sugar River, and
the Croydon Turnpike, is a handsome village.
The soil is rich and productive. Sugar River
flows through the town. Bald, Coit, and East
Mountains, and Blueberry Hill, are in Newport.
This town is noted for its good schools and
charitable societies. First settlers, Jesse Wilcox,
Ebenezer Merrit, Jesse Kelsey, and Samuel Hurd,
in 1763. The settlers were mostly from Killing-
worth, Ct. 40 miles W. by N. from Concord, and
about 35 N. from Keene.
Newport, N. Y., Herkimer co. Watered on the
E. and S. by West Canada Creek. It is a hilly
town, with fertile valleys. 10 miles N. from
Herkimer, and 88 N. W. from Albany.
Newport, Pa., Luzerne co. Nanticoke River
waters this town, and at the falls affords great
hydraulic power, besides feeding the North Branch
Canal. Anthracite coal and bog iron ore abound
here. 8 miles S. W. from Wilkesbarre.
Newport, Pa., Perry co. On the W. bank
of Juniata River, and on the Pennsylvania Canal.
28 miles N. W. from Harrisburg.
Newport County, R. I., c. h. at Newport. S. E.
part, including several fertile islands in Narragan-
set Bay, and the continental portion of the state.
S. of Mount Hope Bay.
Newport, R. I. Port of entry, semi-capital of the
state, and seat of justice of Newport co. This
ancient town is situated on the S. W. side of the
Island of Rhode Island, in Narraganset Bay,
about 30 miles S. by E. from Providence. The
three towns of Newport, Middletown, and Ports-
mouth include the whole area of the island,
Portsmouth being on the N. part, and Middletown
in the centre. In Portsmouth are the Rhode
Island coal mines; also a bed of plumbago has
been discovered here. The soil of all these towns
is rich, and is brought under excellent cultivation.
The inhabitants of the two latter are not numer-
ous, are chiefly occupied with the pursuits of
husbandry, and are distinguished for their habits
of industry and economy. The settlement of the
island was first commenced at the N. E. part, and
Portsmouth was the first town laid out; but some
of the settlers, the next spring, with others who
were about to unite with them, went to the S.
end, and began the settlement of Newport. This
was in 1638. Of this beautiful island Neal says,
It is deservedly esteemed the paradise of New
England for the fruitfulness of the soil and the
temperateness of the climate. Though it is not
above 60 miles S. of Boston, it is a coat warmer
in winter; and, being surrounded by the ocean, is
not so much affected in summer with the hot land
breezes as the towns on the continent.''
The harbor is considered one of the best on the
coast of America, and is admirably defended by
Forts Wolcott, Green, and Adams. The latter,
on Brenton's Point, is a fortification of great
strength and costliness, not yet entirely complet-
ed. The town is built upon a gentle declivity,
fronting the harbor, and looking towards the S.W.,
which presents it handsomely to view as it is
approached upon the water. The principal street
is over a mile in length. There is a public square,
called Washington Square, on which the state
house stands. The buildings generally are neat,
and some of them very handsome. The first build-
ings wrere erected around a spring, where the foun-
tain now is, in the rear of the state house. The
stone house is still standing on the E. side of
Spring Street, which was built by Henry Bull, one
of the original purchasers, and one of the early
governors of the colony, who died in 1693. This
house was one of the first built in Newport. The
marks of antiquity which some of the buildings
bear, with the excellent state of preservation in
wrhich they appear, give them a grace and dignity
not often found in those of more modern construc-
tion. Within a few years, however, the town has
undergone great changes; many new buildings
have been erected — churches, cotton factories, ho-
tels, $nd dwelling houses; old houses have been re-
paired an^l painted; new streets have been opened,
and old oiics put in order ; wealthy persons from
other cities have purchased situations, and built
tasteful dwellings for summer residence; and
the place has been greatly improved in its ap-
Among the public buildings, the State House is
a handsome brick edifice, two stories high, above
a basement story of stone. Over the centre is a
handsome octagonal cupola. In this building,
besides the halls and offices for the legislature,
are the rooms for the different courts of the
county, the state, and the United States. In the
senate chamber is a fine picture of Washington,
painted by Stuart for the town.
The building of the Redwood Library and
Athenaeum, on East Truro Street, erected in 1750,
is a handsome specimen of architecture, suited to
its design. It consists of a centre building, with
two small wings. The centre building is orna-
mented in front with a portico of four Doric
columns, 17 feet in height. It appears, from a
historical sketch of this institution, that it origi-
nated in a literary and philosophical society, which
was established in Newpbrt in 1730, and which
the celebrated Bishop Berkeley, who resided in
Rhode Island from January, 1729, to September,
1731, encouraged in its formation, often partici-
pating in its discussions, and, by the charm of his
conversation, giving a delightful interest to its
meetings.'' The library contains about 4000
volumes. A number of valuable pictures and
busts adorn the room.
The Market House, or Granary, as it is called,
because originally intended to serve the purpose
of a granary as well as of a market, built in 1762,
is a very neat and tasteful building, three stories
high, built in strict conformity to the rules of the