Limestone Creek, and the head branches of the
Tioughnioga River. Surface hilly; soil fertile
sandy and clay loam. 14 miles S. E. from Syra-
cuse, and 132 W. from Albany.
Pornpton, N. J., Passaic co. Watered by Ring-
wood River and several ponds. Surface hilly and
mountainous, containing iron ore ; soil clay and
loam. 23 miles N. W. from Hackensack.
Pontotoc County, Mi., c. h. at Pontotoc. Bound-
ed N. by Tippah, E. by Itawamba, S. by Chick-
asaw, and W. by Lafayette co. The Tallahatchee
River and its branches, and some branches of the
W. fork of Tombigbee River, water this county.
Pope County, As., c. h. at Nerrisville. Bounded
N. by Newton co., E. by Yan Buren and Conway
counties, S. by the Arkansas River, separating it
from Yell co., and W. by Johnson co. Drained
by small branches of the Arkansas. On the N.
border are the Black Hills.
Pope County, Is., c. h. at Golconda. Bounded N.
by Gallatin co., E. and S. by Hardin co. and the
Ohio River, separating it from Kentucky, and W.
by Massac and Johnson counties. Drained by
Big Bay, Great Pierre, Lusk's, and Rock Creeks.
Surface level; soil rich sandy loam.
Poplin, N. H., Rockingham co. Loon Pond is
in the N. part. The town is watered by Exeter
River and several small streams. The soil is of
a good quality, and the surface is not broken by
high hills. The inhabitants are principally indus-
trious formers. 24 miles W. S. W. from Ports-
mouth, and 30 S. S. E. from Concord.
Portage, N. Y., Alleghany co. The Genesee
River and Genesee Yalley Canal pass through
this town, in the N. part of which are situated the
celebrated Genesee Falls. The river descends
about 300 feet in the distance of two miles, af-
fording immense water power. Surface hilly on
the E. and W. Soil very favorable to the growth
of grain. 18 miles N. from Angelica, and 247
W. from Albany.
Portage County, 0., c. h. at Ravenna. Cuya-
hoga and Geauga counties are on the N., Trum-
bull on the E., Stark on the S., and Medina
on the W. This county is named from the cir-
cumstance of including within its limits the old
portage, connecting the waters of Cuyahoga River
with those of the Muskingum. These streams,
with the head waters of Mahoning River, are the
principal waters. The Pennsylvania and Ohio
Canal passes through this county from E. to W.
The land is high, elevated, and well improved.
Portage County, Wn., c. h. at Portage. This
extensive county is bounded N. by Michigan, E.
by Brown, Marquette, and Dodge counties, S. by
Dane and Sauk, and W. by Crawford co. Drained
by Wisconsin River and its branches. Surface
mountainous in the N., and level in the S. por-
Porter County, la., c. h. at Valparaiso. Bounded
N. by Lake Erie, E. by La Porte and Stark coun-
ties, S. by Kankakee River, separating it from
Jasper co., and W. by Lake co. Drained by Ca-
lumic River and Coffee and Salt Creeks. The
surface on the N. is elevated and sterile, but on
the S. level, and in parts marshy, and the soil of
Porter, Me., Oxford co. Porter is hounded W.
by New Hampshire, and Ossipee River separates
it from the county of York. It lies 99 miles S.
W. from Augusta, 42 W. N. W. from Portland,
and 37 S. W. from Paris. Incorporated 1807.
Porter, N. Y., Niagara co. Watered on the N.
by Lake Ontario, E. by Tuscarora Creek, and W.
by the Niagara River, which separates it from
Canada. At the mouth of the Niagara, in this
town, is situated the old Fort Niagara. Surface
chiefly level; soil argillaceous and sandy loam.
16 miles N. W. from Lockport, and 300 N. of
W. from Albany.
Port Carbon, Pa., Schuylkill co. Situated in
an important coal region, at the head of canal
navigation, and at the junction of Mill Creek
with Schuylkill River. 65 miles N. E. from
Harrisburg. Connects with Philadelphia by the
Schuylkill Canal and Reading Railroad.
Port Chester, N. Y., Westchester co. On
the W. side of Byram River. 136 miles S. from
Albany. Steamboats and vessels ply daily to
New York. The New York and New Haven
Railroad passes through it.
Port Clinton, 0., Ottowa co. Located on the
S. side of Portage River, at its mouth, and has a
good harbor. N. from Columbus 120 miles.
Port Deposit, Md., Cecil co. Located on the
E. side of Susquehanna River, at the lower falls,
5 miles from its mouth, and 68 miles N. E. from
Annapolis. The termination of the Susquehanna
Port Elizabeth, N. J., Cumberland co. Situated
near the mouth of Manamuskin Creek. 14 miles
from Delaware Bay, and 73 S. S. W. from Tren-
ton. Vessels of 1*20 tons come here. Exports,
wood and lumber.
Port Gibson, Mi., Claiborne co. On Bayou
Pierre, 30 miles above its mouth, 45 miles N. from
Natchez, and 72 S. W. from Jackson.
Port Henry, N. Y., Essex co., has a good
steamboat landing on the W. side of Lake Cham-
plain. 118 miles N. from Albany. The vicin-
ity abounds in iron ore.
Port Kent, N. Y., Essex co. On the W. shore
of Lake Champlain. 12 miles S. from Plattsburg,
and 151 N. by E. from Albany. There is a
steam ferry between this and Burlington, Vt.
Portland, Me. City, seaport, and seat of jus-
tice of Cumberland co. 65 miles S. W. from Au-
gusta, the capital of the state, 105 miles N. N. E.
from Boston, and 290 miles S. E. from Montreal,
by railroad. Population in 1790, 2240; 1800,
3704; 1810, 7169; 1820, 8521; 1830, 12,601;
1840, 15,218; 1850, 20,879.
Portland is very pleasantly situated, on a pen-
insula at the W. extremity of Casco Bay, between
Casco River on the S., and Back Cove, which
makes up from the harbor, on the N. The length
of this peninsula, from E. to W., is 3 miles, and
its average width about three fourths of a mile,
containing about 2200 acres of land. The ground
on which the city is built rises, towards both its
eastern and western extremities, into considerable
elevations, which gives a beautiful appearance to
the general outline of the place, as it is approached
from the sea. The city is regularly laid out,
especially the more modern portions of it, and
several of the streets are among the handsomest
in any of our cities. It is built mostly with brick;
and the dwellings, always neat, are, many of
them, spacious and elegant. Beautiful elms and
other shade trees adorn several of the more re-
tired avenues. The main street extends through
the whole city, E. and W., upon the ridge of the
peninsula, reaching from hill to hill. One of the
latest and most important improvements within
the city is the opening of a new street along the
heads of the wharves and docks, in such a man-