Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 564

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 563 ...Page 565

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


Sanders, Ky., Grant co. A village 50 miles N.
N. E. from Frankfort.

Sandersvilte, Ga., Washington co. This village
is the seat of justice, and lies 30 miles S. E. from

Sanford, N. Y., Broome co. Oquaga Creek,
a branch of the Delaware River, waters this town.
Surface hilly and mountainous; soil favorable for
grazing. 20 miles E. from Binghampton, and
135 S. W. from Albany.

Sandgate, Vt., Bennington co. The people of
this town are favored with mountain air, and with
crystal streams. Shetterack and Bald Mountains
are in the N. W. part of the town; Spruce and
Equinox arc in the N. E., Red Mountain in the
S. E., and Swearing Hill in the S. W. Between
these elevations is some good land, which pro-
duces grass and grain. The settlement of this
town was commenced in 1771, by a Mr. Bristol.
20 miles N. from Bennington, and 31 S. by W.
from Rutland.

San Diego, Ca., c. h. San Diego co. This town,
near the southern boundary of California, has,
with the exception of Acapulco, the finest harbor
on the Pacific. It is on a wide and spacious bay,
the southern shore of which is low and sandy.
From the bluff heights on the opposite side a nar-
row strip of shingly beach makes out into the sea,
like a natural breakwater, leaving an entrance of
not more than 300 yards broad. The town,
which is inconsiderable, is situated on a plain, 3
miles from the anchorage, which is at the foot of
the hills, just inside the bay, and from which the
town is barely visible. It was the first place in
Upper California occupied by the Spaniards.
About 425 miles S. E. from San Francisco.

Sanford, Me., York co. On Mousum River.
It has a good water power, and an establishment
for the manufacture and printing of cotton goods.
It is 35 miles W. S. W. from Portland.

Sandisfeld, Ms., Berkshire co., was incorpo-
rated in 1762, and first permanently settled in
1750. The surface is hilly in general. The hills
are of considerable height, but not abrupt, rising
into large swells. In the S. E. section of the
town, a considerable mountain rises on the west-
ern bank of Farmington River, known by the
name of Hanging Mountain. Its highest point
of elevation is 450 feet above the bank, and pre-
sents to the S. E. a mural perpendicular front,
more than 300 feet high. Farmington River runs
near the E. line of the town, through the whole
extent, and affords many mill seats and water
privileges. There are other small streams inter-
secting the town. In the N. part of the town, at
the outlet of Spectacle Pond, the water privileges
are excellent. The soil is various, but generally
of a good quality ; it consists of a moist loam, stony
in many places, and principally adapted to graz-
ing. 115 miles W. S. W. from Boston, and 27
S. S. E. from Pittsfield.

Sandiston, N. J., Sussex co. A township.

Sand Lake, N. Y., Rensselaer co. Watered
by the Poestenkill and Wynantskill Creeks, and
contains several small lakes. Surface hilly: soil
fertile in the valleys, and generally good for grass.
11 miles S. E. from Troy, and 10 W. from Albany.

Sandover, S. C., Abbeville district. A village,
by post road 90 miles W. from Columbia.

Sandman, N. H., Rockingham co. The sur-
face is uneven, but the soil is well adapted to
grain and grass. Phillips's Pond, in the S. part
of the town, is the largest, being about 340 rods
long and 200 wide. Angle Pond, in the S. E. part,
is 200 rods long and 90 or 100 wide. There are
several other smaller ponds. Squamseot River
flows from Phillips's Pond, and pursues a nearly
level course for lj miles, where another stream
unites with it; from this junction, whenever the
waters are high, the current passes back with con-
siderable force towards the pond. This town was
originally a part of Kingston. First settlers,
Moses Tucker, Israel and James Huse, and
others, in 1796. 32 miles S. E. from Concord,
and 26 S. W. from Portsmouth.

Sandusky, O. Port of entry, and seat of justice
of Erie co. Situated on the S. side of Sandusky
Bay, opposite to the opening of the bay into Lake
Erie, from which it is about 3 miles distant. It
is 105 miles N. from Columbus, and 60 W. from
Cleveland. The town is based upon a quarry of
the finest building stone, which furnishes the du-
rable and ornamental material of which a large
number of the handsomest blocks and edifices in
the place are constructed. It is also an article of
export to other places upon the lake. The ground
on which the town is built rises gradually from
the water's edge for about half a mile, thereby
furnishing one of the pleasantest views of lake
scenery any where to be enjoyed in the country.
During the season of navigation upon the lake,
which is interrupted for only about three months
in the winter, the bay before the town presents a
lively scene, with steamboats and other vessels
arriving and departing, and the distant horizon
upon the lake is whitened with the floating can-
vas. The building of vessels and steamboats is
carried on here to considerable extent. As it is
one of the great points of landing and embarka-
tion for travellers between the North-eastern
States and the valley of the Mississippi, as well
as for the trade of the interior, it has had a very
rapid growth, and must continue greatly to in-
crease for years to come. A great impulse has
been given to the prosperity of the place, by the
construction of the railroads meeting here; by
one of which it has been connected with Cincin-
nati, 218 miles distant, and by another with New-
ark, near the centre of the state, from which the
connection will soon be made complete to Colum-
bus and to Zanesville. Other lines of railroad
are projected, which will, ere long, be built. A
very heavy transportation business is done upon
the roads above mentioned, and the whole com-
merce of the place is large and rapidly increasing.

Sandusky was laid out upon a regular and
beautiful plan, in 1817, by two gentlemen from
Connecticut, who were the proprietors of the soil,
Hon. Zalmon Wildman and Hon. Isaac Mills.
The first framed dwelling was erected in the fall
of that year. The first church erected here was
a small Methodist church, in 1830. Sandusky
now contains four handsome churches, an acad-
emy, built of stone, three stories high, a large
number of stores, several forwarding and com-
mission houses, extensive machine shops for the
manufacture of the iron for railroad cars, banks,
printing offices, hotels, and other establishments
required for the commerce and business of the
place. A few hundred yards back from the bay
is a large and handsome public square, upon
which, looking towards the lake, are the principal
churches and public buildings. On the farm of
Isaac A. Mills, W. of the town, are to be seen
the remains of some ancient works and mounds,
of unknown origin. Population in 1850,















cm j










0 1

1 1

2 1

3 1

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.