Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 570

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 569 ...Page 571

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


Eailroad, which is completed, and runs 136 miles
farther N. W., to Tennessee River, opening, by a
direct route to Savannah, the commerce of the
west; also a branch of the Monroe Railroad to
the Chattahoochee River, at a point leading to a
union with the Montgomery Railroad, in Alabama,
and a railroad from the Flint to the Ockmulgee
Rivers, which easily admits of an extension to the
Chattahoochee, to drain the produce of Western
Georgia, and a part of Alabama, to Savannah.
A canal extends from Savannah to the Ogeechee
River. Such are the advantages of inland trade
which are already enjoyed by this city, or are
fairly open to it in the future. Savannah is noted
for its exports of tobacco and rice, but particularly
for that of vast quantities of upland cotton.

This city was founded by General James Ogle-
thorpe, in 1733, and incorporated as acity in 1761.
Its charter was amended and enlarged in 1787.
In December, 1778, the city was taken by the
British, under Colonel Campbell, and held in their
possession until 1782.

Savannah, Mo., c. h. Andrew co. 5 miles dis-
tant from Missouri River.

Savannah, N. Y., Wayne co. This town con-
tains a small sheet of water called Crusoe Lake,
the outlet of which flows E. into Seneca River.
The surface is level, and partly covered by the
Montezuma Marshes; soil on the N. and W. quite
productive. 11 miles E. from Lyons, and 170 N.
of W. from Albany.

Savannah, Te., c. h. Hardin co.

Savoy, Ms., Berkshire co. A wild mountain
township, whose soil and surface are better adapt-
ed to grazing than tillage. The people are gen-
erally farmers. The most compact settlement is
in the S. part, at the confluence of the two
streams which constitute the head waters of
Westfield River. This is sometimes called Sa-
voy Village, but more commonly Savoy Hol-
low. 15 miles N. E. from Pittsfield, and 114 W.
by N. from Boston.

Saxonville, Ms., in Framingham, Middlesex co.
22 miles N. W. from Boston.

Saybrook, Ct., Middlesex co. This is one of
the most ancient towns in the state. Lord Say
and Seal, Lord Brook, and other gentlemen in
England, dissatisfied with the government of
Charles I., contemplating a removal to this coun-
try, procured, in 1632, of Robert, Earl of War-
wick, a patent of all the country “ which lies W.
from Narraganset River, 120 miles on the sea-
coast; and from thence, in latitude and breadth
aforesaid, to the South Sea.'' In 1635, they ap-
pointed Mr. John Winthrop, a son of the govern-
or of Massachusetts, to build a fort on Connec-
ticut River, and appointed him governor for one

In the summer of 1639, Colonel George Fen-
wick, one of the patentees, arrived from England,
and in honor of Lord Say and Seal, and Lord
Brook, gave the tract about the mouth of Con-
necticut River the name of Saybrook. Colonel
Fenwick superintended the affairs of the colony
until 1644, when, his associates having relin-
quished the design of removal to America, he
sold the jurisdiction of Saybrook to the Connec-
ticut colony.

The original limits of the town extended upon
the E. side of the river for several miles, and in-
cluded a part of the town of Lyme. The town-
ship now comprises three parishes, viz., Saybrook,
Westbrook, and Essex. Saybrook parish is the

S. E. section of the town. The Indian name for
this place was
Pattaquasset. W. of this is West-
brook parish, which was called by its Indian name,
Pochaug, until October, 1810. N. of these two
parishes is
Pautapoug, or Essex.

The greater part of the township is uneven
and stony. There are, however, some extensive
levels, and tracts of rich soil, particularly in the
vicinity of Saybrook village, in the southern
part of the town. Some of the hills, near Con-
necticut River, have good granite quarries. There
are several small harbors on the Sound, and on
Connecticut River, at Saybrook Point and Pau-
tapoug. The bar at the mouth of the Connecti-
cut is an impediment to navigation. Saybrook
Harbor is at the mouth of a handsome cove,
making up from Connecticut River, and extend-
ing W. almost to Saybrook village. It is often
resorted to by coasters in bad weather. Large
quantities of fish are taken in this town. The
shad fisheries are numerous, and a source of con-
siderable wealth. Connecticut River shad are
considered superior to any other in this country.
White fish are taken upon the shores of the
Sound, and are very valuable for the purposes of
manure. The borough of Essex is about 7 miles
from the mouth of Connecticut River, on the
side. It is a place of considerable commerce,
navigation, and ship building.

Saybrook Point is a peninsula, circular in its
form, and connected with the main land by a
narrow neck, over which the tide sometimes

The land on the point was laid out with
care, as it was expected to become the residence
of great men, and the centre of great business
and wealth.

About half way between the palisado was
erected the first building designed for the colle-
giate school, since named Yale College. This
institution was founded in 1700, and remained at
Saybrook 17 years. It was desired by the found-
ers and others, that the churches should have a
public standard or confession of faith, agreeable
to which the instruction of the college should be
conducted. This led to the adoption of the
“ Saybrook Platform,'' after the commencement
in 1708.

David Gardiner, born at Saybrook, was the
first white child born in Connecticut.

Saybrook is a very pleasant town, and full of
interesting associations.

Saybrook village is 40 miles S. S. E. from
Hartford, 34 E. from New Haven, and 19 W.
from New London. The New Haven and New
London Railroad passes through this town.

Scarboro', Me., Cumberland co., lies between
Saco and Portland. A part of this large town,
called Black Point, lying upon the sea was
granted by the council of Plymouth to Thomas
Cammock, in 1631 ; this was soon after settled,
and beeame of considerable importance on the
coast in the fisheries and trade. The land
is held under that ancient grant at the pres-
ent day. Another settlement was early made by
a family of Algers, from England, near the cen-
tre of the town, and called Duastan Corner,
which name it still bears. This was wholly de-
stroyed in the Indian war of 1675. It was,
however, revived by a descendant in the fe-
male line, through whom that race is still perpet-

Scarboro' is principally an agricultural town,

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.