a hundred Shakers, or United Society of Be-
Shirley, Pa., Huntingdon co. A township op-
posite Hamiltonville, on the right side of Juniata
Shirleysburg, Pa., Shirley township, Huntingdon
co. A village about 20 miles S. S. E. from Hunt-
Shoccoe Springs, N. C., Warren co. A village,
academy, and watering-place, about 60 miles N.
E. from Baleigh.
Shoreham, Vt., Addison co. Shoreham lies on
the E. side of Lake Champlain, and is watered by
Lemonfair Biver, a good mill stream. The sur-
face is level, and the soil remarkably good. There
is a pleasant village on the banks of the lake.
This is one of the best farming towns in the
state. Most of the waters here are impregnat-
ed with Epsom salts. This is the site of New-
ton Academy. The settlement was commenced
about the year 1766, by Colonel Ephraim Doolit-
tle, Paul Moore, Marshal Newton, and others.
The settlement was broken np during the revolu-
tionary war, but was recommenced on the return
of peace. 12 miles S. W. from Middlebury, and
about 42 S. W. from Montpelier.
Shreveport, La., c. h. Caddo parish. On the W.
bank of Bed Biver, 380 miles N. W. from New
Shrewsbury, Ms., Worcester co. This town pre-
sents to the eye an uneven surface, variegated
with hills and valleys. A range of highland, ex-
tending from N. to S., passes through the middle
of the town. The town is well watered by springs
and rivulets, though there are no large rivers in
the town. Long Pond, called by the natives
Quinsigamond, lying in this town by the line of
Worcester, is a beautiful piece of water. It lies
in the form of a crescent, nearly 4 miles long as it
runs, and from 100 rods to near a mile in width.
The water in some places is 90 feet deep. There
are 12 islands in this pond of various sizes. Strat-
ton's Island, which contains 150 acres under cul-
tivation, has several families living upon it. Some
of the other islands are more or less cultivated.
This pond is the principal feeder of Blackstone
Canal. In the S. W. part of the town is a large
meadow, which contains excellent peat. 36 miles
W. S. W. from Boston, and 6 E. by N. from
Shrewsbury, N.J., Monmouth co. This town is
located near the sea-shore, and is resorted to in
summer by the people of New York and Phila-
delphia as a bathing-place. It has a high and dry
soil. 47 miles N. E. from Trenton, and 77 N. E.
Shrewsbury, Vt., Butland co. Shrewsbury lies
mostly on the Green Mountains, and the eastern
part is much elevated. In the N. part is Shrews-
bury Peak, which is one of the highest summits
of the Green Mountains, and is more than 4100
feet above the tide water. Mill and Cold Bivers
pass through the town, and both are sufficiently
large for mills. Peal's and Ashley's Ponds are in
the southerly part. Shrewsbury is well adapted
to the production of grass, and the timber is such
as is common to the mountain towns. The town
was chartered in 1763. Erom Windsor 22 miles
W., and 9 S. E. from Butland.
Shrewsbury, Ms., Franklin co., was called Boad-
town, from the time of its grant, in 1734, to its in-
eorporation, in 1761. It was first settled by people
from Sudbury, about the year 1738. The town is
well watered by branches of Mill Biver, which
rise here, and by Swift Biver, which passes
through the towrn, and several of its tributaries,
which also rise here. The surface is elevated, and
many parts of it are hilly and rocky ; in some
parts the soil is thin,- and not very productive, but
in other parts the soil is fertile, particularly aiong
its numerous brooks and rivers. At the N. W.
corner of the town, about 4 miles from the centre
village, is Lock's Pond, covering about 700 acres,
well stocked with fish of various kinds. Near
this beautiful little lake is a neat village. There
is a mineral spring of some note near the centre
of the town. It is said to have been opened by
an earthquake, in 1815, and it abounds in muri-
ate of lime. 16 miles S. E. from Greenfield, and
74 W. by N. from Boston.
Sidney, Io., c. h. Fremont co.
Sidney, Me., Kennebec co. This is a very pleas-
antly situated town, on the W. side of Kennebee
Biver, and watered by a large and beautiful pond
lying in this town and Belgrade. 12 miles N.
Sidney, N. Y., Delaware co. Watered by Ole-
out Creek and some other branches of the Sus-
quehanna Biver, which bounds it on the W
Surface rather hilly; soil well suited to grazing. 18
miles W. from Delhi, and 100 S. W. from Albany
Sidney, O., c. h. Shelby co. 79 miles W. by N.
Sigourney, la., c. h. Keokuck co.
Silver Spring, Pa., Cumberland co. Conedog-
winit Creek and branches water this town. Sur-
face hilly; soil calcareous loam and slate, very
fertile in the valleys. 7 miles N. E. from Car-
Simpson County, Ky., c. h. at Franklin. War-
ren is on the N., Allen E., Logan co. W. and N.
W., and Tennessee S. Two rivers rise in this
county — Bed, a branch of Cumberland, and Big
Warren, a branch of Green Biver.
Simpson County, Mi., c. h. at Westville. Bound-
ed N. by Bankin, E. by Smith, S. by Covington
and Lawrence counties, and W. by Pearl Biver,
separating it from Copiah co. Drained by
branches of Pearl Biver.
Simsbury, Ct., Hartford co. The territory of
this town was formerly a part of Windsor. Its
Indian name was Massacoe, and it was incorporat-
ed in 1670. The surface of the town is greatly
diversified by hills and valleys, A range of
mountains passes through the town, and there is
some level and good land within its limits, on
Farmington Biver. Tarifiville, a flourishing
village, is situated at the north-eastern extremity
of this town, on the W. bank of the Farmington
Biver. 45 miles from New Haven by the Canal
Sing Sing, N. Y., in Mount Pleasant township,
Westchester co. On the E. bank of the Hudson
Biver. 112 miles S. from Albany, and 33 miles N.
from the city of New York. It is pleasantly sit-
uated, on uneven ground, rising in one part into
an eminence 180 feet above tide water, overlook-
ing Tappan and Haverstraw Bays, the Hudson
and Croton Bivers, and the surrounding country,
including views of the Palisades and the High-
lands in the distance. It was incorporated as
a village in 1813. Near the river is located the
Mount Pleasant Academy, an incorporated insti-
tution for boys, which has an edifice, constructed
of marble, three stories high; also the Mount
Pleasant Female Seminary, an incorporated in-