yen, and was called New Haven village. 13
I miles N. from New Haven.
Wallingford, Vt., Rutland co. This town is
watered by Otter Creek, Mill River, and by 3
ponds, one of which, Hiram's Pond, covering an
area of 350 acres, lies on very elevated ground,
and is one of the principal sources of Otter
Creek. These mountain ponds are very hand-
some, and contain fish. The soil is generally
good ; that on the banks of Otter Creek is very
fertile and productive. A range of primitive
limestone passes through the western part of the
town, in which have been opened several quarries
of excellent marble. Green Hill, situated near
the centre, is composed almost entirely of quartz.
A part of White Rocks, belonging to Green
Mountain range, appears to be granite, the rest
quartz. At the foot of White Rooks are large
cavities, formed by the fallen rocks, called the
icebeds, in which ice is found in abundance
through the summer season. The village of
Wallingford is pleasantly located on the banks of
Otter Creek, near one of the ponds. The settle-
ment was commenced in 1773, by Abraham Jack-
son and family. 10 miles S. by E. from Rutland,
and 42 N. N. E. from Bennington. The railroad
between Boston and Rutland passes through the
Wallkill, N. Y., Orange co. The Wallkill and
Shawangunk Creek water this town. Surface
undulating and hilly; soil well adapted to graz-
ing. 22 miles W. from Newburg, and 105 S.
S. W. from Albany.
Walpole, Ms., Norfolk co. Walpole was a part
of Dedham until 1724. The surface presents a
pleasing variety of hill and valley, and its soil
generally is of a good quality. Three beautiful
tributaries to the Neponset meet in this town.
These streams afford the town a good water
power. This is a flourishing town with a num-
ber of pleasant villages within its borders. The
S. village lies 3 miles from the E. village. The
E. village lies 9 miles S. by W. from Dedham,
and 19 S. S. W. from Boston.
Walpole, N. H., Cheshire co. This town is
beautifully diversified by hills and vales. The
soil is similar to that of other towns on Connecti-
cut River. The intervales afford excellent till-
age; the uplands are inferior to none in the
state. Cold River passes through the N. part,
and forms a junction with the Connecticut. There
is a lofty hill, called Fall Mountain, a part of the
range of Mount Toby, the highest parts of
which are about 780 feet above the level of the
river. The village of Walpole is situated at the
foot of the hill, on a plain. Drewsville, in this
town, is a pleasant village, romantically situated
near the falls. Bellows Falls, on Connecticut
River, separate this town from Rockingham, Yt.
At the bridge, which crosses the river at this
place, first built in 1785, and 365 feet in length, is
a most interesting and sublime view. The river
here is compressed into a narrow strait, between
steep rocks, and, for nearly a quarter of a mile,
is hurried on with great rapidity and loud roaring.
In no place is the fall perpendicular, to any con-
siderable extent; but in the distance of half a
mile, the waters descend 42 feet. A canal, with
9 locks, passes round these falls, on the W. side.
First settler, Colonel Benjamin Bellows, in 1749.
From Concord 60 miles S. W. by W., and 22 N.
W. from Keene by railroad frotn Boston.
Walterboro1, S. C.,Colleton district. On a branch
of Ashepoo River. This village is situated 46
miles a little N. of W. from Charleston, and by
post road 178 miles S. S. E. from Columbia.
Waltham. Ms., Middlesex co., was the W. par-
ish of Watertown, until its incorporation, in 1738.
The surface is moderately level, with some eleva-
tions. Prospect Hill, 482 feet above the level of
the sea, presents a delightful view of Boston, its
harbor, and the adjacent country. A part of
Fresh Pond lies within the limits of this town.
The soil is generally not very fertile. Waltham
Plain is a beautiful tj'act of land, under a high
state of cultivation. On the road over this plain
is a continuous village. Charles River passes
through the town. Beaver and Mead's Ponds are
handsome sheets of water, well stored with fish.
The former produces a mill stream, which passes
to Sudbury River. The Fitchburg Railroad
passes through Waltham. 9 miles W. by N. from
Boston, and 11 E. S. E. from Concord.
Waltham, Yt., Addison co. Buck Mountain
lies near the centre of Waltham, and is the high-
est land in the county west of the Green Moun-
tains. Waltham lies on the E. side of Otter
Creek. At this place the creek is sluggish, and
affords no mill privileges. The soil is generally
good ; that along the stream is excellent. The
settlement of Waltham was commenced just be-
fore the revolutionary war, by a family of Gris-
wolds and others, from Connecticut. 9 miles N.
W. from Middlebury, and 40 S. W. from Mont-
Walton County, Fa., c. h. at Euchee Anna.
Bounded N. by Alabama, E. by the Choctaw-
hatchee River, separating it from Jackson and
Washington counties, S. by Choctawhatchee Bay,
and W. by Santa Rosa co. Drained by Yellow
Water and Shoal Rivers and branches, and White
and Alequa Creeks. Soil fertile in the N. por-
Walton County, Ga., c. h. at Monroe. Gwinnett
bounds this county on the W., Hall N. W., New-
ton S. W., Oconee River, or Jackson and Clark,
N. E., and Morgan and Jasper S. E. It is drained
by the sources of Oconee and Ockmulgee Rivers.
Walton, N. Y., Delaware co. The W. branch
of the Delaware River and some of its tributaries
flow through this town. Surface hilly and moun-
tainous ; soil well suited to grazing. 13 miles
S. W. from Delhi, and 94 from Albany.
Walworth, N. Y., Wayne co. Watered by sev-
eral small streams flowing N. into Lake Ontario.
Surface rolling; soil fertile gravelly loam. 18
miles N. W. from Lyons, and 199 N. of W. from
Walworth County, Wn., c. h. at Elkhorn. Bound-
ed N. by Jefferson and Waukesha counties, E. by
Racine co., S. by Illinois, and W. by Rock co.
Watered by Turtle River and its branches, by
branches of Fox River, and by Geneva Lake,
which lies in its S. part. The surface is level, and
the soil very rich.
Wanaltta County, Ma. On the uppermost wa-
ters of the Mississippi.
Wantage, N. J., Sussex co. Situated on the
N. border of the state, and drained by Deep
Clove River and Papakating Creek, head branch-
es of the Wallkill River. Surface undulating on
the E., but hilly and mountainous on the W.
Wapankonetta, O., c. h. Auglaise co.
Wapello County, Io., c. h. at Ottumwa. S. E.
part. The Des Moines passes through it fromN.