Population in 1800,3210; in 1810, 8208; in
1820, 13,247 ; in 1830, 18,227; in 1840, 23,364;
in 1850, 40,001, of whom about a quarter part
afe colored. Congress meets annually at Wash-
ington on the first Monday of December, and
the Supreme Court of the United States annually
on the first Monday of January.
Washington County, Fa., c. h. at Holmes Valley.
Bounded N. and N. E. by Jackson co., E. by the
Appalachicola River, separating it from Gadsden
co., S. by Calhoun co. and the Gulf of Mexico,
and W. by the Choetawhatehee River, separating
It from Walton co. Drained by Econfina River,
and by branches of the Choetawhatehee River.
In the S. part of this county is the fine Bay of St.
Andrews. There is some good soil in the N.
portions, but it is mostly sterile.
Washington County, Ga., c. h. at Sandersville.
Oconee River, of Wilkinson co., is on the S. W.,
Hancock N.'W., Ogeechee River, or Warren, N. E.,
Jefferson E.. and Emanuel and Laurens S. E.
Washington, Ga., c. h. Wilkes co. On Kettle
Creek, a branch of Little River. 50 miles W.
N. W. from Augusta, and 78 N. E. from Mil-
Washington County, Is., c. h. at Covington.
Randolph is on the S. of this county, St. Clair W.,
Madison and Bond N., and Jefferson E. Kaskas-
kias River passes obliquely through it.
Washington County, la., c. h. at Salem. This
co. is bounded by Flovd S. E., Harrison S., Or-
ange and Lawrence W., White River, or Jack-
son, N., and Scott E. Big Blue River rises in
this county, and flows S. into Ohio River.
Washington, la., c. h. Davis co. Between the
two main branches of White River. 20 miles
S. E. by E. from Vincennes, and 103 S. S. W.
Washington, la., c. h. Daviess co. 4 miles E.
from the West Fork of White River, and 106
S. W. from Indianapolis.
Washington County, Io., c. h. at Washington.
Bounded N. and N. E. by Iowa and Johnson
counties, E. by Louisa, S. by Henry and Jeffer-
son, and W. by Keokuk co. Drained by Iowa
River, Long and Crooked Creeks, and by a branch
of Skunk River. The soil is fertile.
Washington County, Ky., c. h. at Springfield.
Green is on the S. of this county, Nelson W. and
N. W., Salt River, or Franklin, N., Mercer E.,
and Casey S. E. The various sources of Salt
River drain the county.
Washington, Ky., c. h. Mason co. 77 miles
E. S. E. from Frankfort.
Washington Parish, La. This parish is bounded
by Mississippi N., Pearl River E., parish of St.
Tammany S., and Tangipao River, or St. Helena,
W. It has a moderately hilly surface, and gen-
erally sterile soil, covered with pine timber.
Bogue, Chitto, and Chifuncte Rivers are the
Washington County, Me., c. h. at Machias. In
the S. E. corner of the state, between the coast
on the S. E., and Passamaquoddy Bay and St.
Croix River on the N. E. Has a great extent
of coast, and abounds in bays and harbors. The
settlements are confined to tide waters. The
soil is cold, and not favorable to cultivation.
The interior is covered with dense forests.
Washington, Me., Lincoln co. Formerly called
Putnam. 35 miles E. from Augusta.
Washington County, Md. Hagerstown, Han-
cock, and Williamsport, shire towns. Potomac
River, or Virginia, is on the S. of this county,
Alleghany co., Md., W., Pennsylvania N., and
Frederick co., Md., E. The county is well watered,
and is traversed by Connolaways, Licking, Con-
ococheague, Antietam, and other large creeks
flowing from Pennsylvania into Potomac River.
The surface is much broken by mountains and
hills, though much of the river and creek alluvial
soil is excellent.
Washington, Ms., Berkshire co., was first set-
tled in 1760, and was called Greenwood, and
for some time Hartwood. Its Indian name was
Tukonick. This town is situated on the Green
Mountain range, and its surface is greatly di-
versified by hills and valleys. It is, however,
a fine township for grazing, and within its
limits are many large and productive farms.
No large river waters the town, but the crystal
springs which gush from the mountains, and
the sparkling ponds which decorate the valleys,
give to the town an ample water power for
domestic uses. The principal settlement is beau-
tifully located in a mountain valley, through
which the Western Railroad passes. 138 miles
W. from Boston, and 13 S. E. from Pittsfield.
Washington, Mn., Macomb co. Stony Creek
and the head branches of the Middle Fork of
Clinton River water this town, the soil of which
is fertile, yielding kvrge crops of grain.
Washington County, Ma., c. h. at Stillwater. In
the angle between the St. Croix and Mississippi.
Washington, Mi. Recently the seat of govern-
ment of the state. 6 miles N. E. from Natchez,
and 84 S. W. from Jackson, on the left bank of
St. Catharine Creek, on a high, dry, and healthy
site. In 1802 Jefferson College was incorpo-
rated, and located in this town.
Washington County, Mo., c. h. at Potosi. Sit-
uated S. from Franklin, and S. W. from Jeffer-
son and St. Genevieve. This county lies on the
heads of Big Black, Gasconade, Merrimae, and
St. Francis Rivers. It has a hilly, mountainous,
and broken surface, though much fertile soil is
found in detached places, particularly along the
banks of the Merrimae, Big River, and other
streams. A great part of the lead mines of
Missouri are included within the limits of this
Washington, N. H., Sullivan co. This town is
hilly, but not mountainous. Lovewell's Moun-
tain, so called, from Captain Lovewell's killing
7 Indians near it, is of a conical shape, about
three fourths of a mile in diameter. Washing-
ton abounds with springs, rivulets, and natural
ponds. Of the last there are 16, some of con-
siderable magnitude. Island Pond, so called
from its being full of islands, is 2 miles long
and 1^ wide. Ashuelot is lj miles long and 1
wide; Half Moon is 1<| miles in length ; Brock-
way's, a beautiful sheet of water, lying on a
white sand, is one mile long, and half a mile
wide. Long Pond, lying in this town and Stod-
dard, is 5 miles in length. These ponds abound
with a variety of fish. The borders present de-
lightful scenery. The soil is deep and moist,
better for grass than tillage. The first settlers
had 180 acres of land each for settling. First
settler, Reuben Kidder, Esq., in 1768. 35 miles
W. from Concord, and about 16 S. E. from
Washington, N. J., Burlington co. A township
adjoining Little Egg Harbor. The soil is sandy,
and covered with pines. Bog ore abounds in