Waterloo, Mo., c. h. Clark co. A little W.
from Mississippi River, W. from the entrance of
Des Moines River, and 186 miles N. by E. from
Waterloo, N. Y., c. h. Seneca co. Watered by
Seneca River, parallel to which runs the Ca-
yuga and Seneca Canal. Surface chiefly level;
soil rich calcareous loam. 173 miles N. of W.
Watertown, Ct., Litchfield co. Watertown was
formerly a parish in Waterbury, by the name of
Westbury. It was incorporated as a town in
1780. The township is generally uneven, or
rather hilly; but some sections are level. The
prevailing soil is a dry gravelly loam, and best
adapted to grazing; but the different grains com-
mon to this part of .the country are cultivated.
Steel's Brook, a sprightly stream, passes through
the central part of the town, and for a mile be-
low and some distance above the centre of the
town, a chain of rich meadows, though small in
extent, border the sides of this stream. This is
the birthplace of John Trumbull, the poet. 26
miles N. by W. from New Haven, and 10 S. E.
Watertown, Ms., Middlesex co. The name of
Watertown is said to have originated from the
circumstance of its being a well-watered place,''
or, perhaps, from its being situated on a consid-
erable fresh-water river, and the communication
with Boston being at first by water, in boats.
The Indian name of the town was Pogsguesset.
Charles River gives this town a good water
power; it passes along its whole southern bor-
der. This river is navigable to the centre of the
town for vessels drawing 6 feet of water. The
surface is diversified by hills and valleys. A part
of Fresh Pond and a part of Mount Auburn
Cemetery lie in this town. On the N. bank of
the river, the United States Arsenal occupies a
site of 40 acres of ground. Watertown village
lies about 7 miles W. from Boston, and 12 S. E.
from Concord. The Fitchburg Railroad passes
on the N. side of the town, and the Worcester
Railroad on the S.
Watertown, N. Y., c. h. Jefferson co. Watered
by Stony and Sandy Creeks, and on the N. by
Black River, which affords immense hydraulic
power at this place. Surface rather uneven; soil
fertile. 160 miles N. W. from Albany.
Waterville, Me., Kennebec co., is situated on
the W. bank of the Kennebec River, opposite to
Winslow, and bounded N. by Fairfield, and S. by
Sidney. It contains 30 square miles, mostly of
the best quality of farming land of the Kennebec
region. Seven twelfths of the population is esti-
mated to be agricultural. The principal village,
of about 180 houses, is on the Kennebec, at Ti-
conic Falls. These falls are 18 feet in height, ex-
tending quite across the river. In the town there
are many saw, 4 grist mills, carding machines,
plaster mills, also extensive tanneries, and a ma-
chine shop, iron foundery, a branch of the cele-
brated Fairbanks establishment in Vermont, sup-
plies a great portion of the interior of the state
with ploughs. Waterville College is situated here.
The water power at Waterville and vicinity is
very great. A circle described from the Ticonic
Falls, before named, as a centre, with a radius of
5 miles, includes 2 falls across the whole Kenne-
bec, at Kendall's Mills, 2 miles above Waterville;
2 falls, 5 miles distant, on the Sebasticook, a
large tributary stream; and an indefinite series
of falls upon the Emerson Stream, from the cas-
cade to its confluence, besides numerous rapids,
which could easily be dammed, on all these
streams. It is believed that no similar circle of
10 miles diameter in New England comprehends
so large and convenient water power. But a very
small part of this power is yet occupied. The
river is navigable to this place from the dam at
Augusta. Connected with Portland, 82 miles
S. W. by Railroad.
Waterville, N. H., Grafton co. This town com-
prises the territory called Gillis and Foss Grant,
until its incorporation in 1829. It was granted
June 29, 1819, to Josiah Gillis, Moses Foss, Jr.,
and others. The latter commenced the settle-
ment some years since. It is watered by Mad
and Swift Rivers.
Waterville, Vt., Lamoille co. Waterville is en-
vironed by mountains, and is itself mountainous.
It is watered by a branch of Lamoille River
There are many good mill privileges in this town,
and some fine land on the borders of its streams.
The settlement commenced here about the year
1789. 12 miles N. W. from Hydepark, and 39 N.
W. from Montpelier.
Watervliet, N. Y., Albany co. This township
lies on the W. side of Hudson River, opposite
the city of Troy, and 6 miles N. from the city
of Albany. The Mohawk River waters its north-
ern part. The surface is level or undulating on
the E., with some extensive flats on the Hudson,
which are productive and well cultivated. The
western part rises into hills. Several islands, ly-
ing at the confluence of the Mohawk with the
Hudson, belong to this township. The Cham-
plain Canal, crossing the mouths of the Mohawk
in the northern part of this town, and bearing to
the right, forms a junction with the Erie Canal,
after which their united channel traverses its east-
ern border to Albany. At the Cohoes Falls, on
the Mohawk, an immense water power has been
developed, and considerably occupied. (See
Fashionable Resorts.) At Port Schuyler a race-
way is taken from the Erie Canal, supplying sev-
eral hydraulic works. A small creek, at the S.E.
course of the town, furnishes the power for a facto-
ry, and for mills. In this town there is a Shaker
settlement, sometimes called Niskayuna, estab
lished in 1776, by Ann Lee, the first in the United
States. They occupy about 2000 acres of land.
Watson, N. Y., Lewis co. Watered by Inde-
pendence Creek and other streams flowing into
Black River, which bounds it on the W. Surface
hilly and mountainous; soil sandy loam. 1<?
miles N. E. from Martinsburg, and 135 N. W
Wawarsing, N. Y., Ulster co., is watered by
Rondout Creek and its tributaries, affording fine
hydraulic power at this place. Surface hilly and
mountainous, the Shawangunk Mountain cover-
ing the E. part; soil gravelly loam and clay.
Plumbago, lead, and iron ore are found in this
vicinity. 22 miles S. W. from Kingston, and 81
Wayland, Ms., Middlesex co. The name of
this town was East Sudbury from 1780 to 1835.
It lies on the E. side of Sudbury River, and was
once a part of Sudbury. The surface is pleasant,
and the soil generally good. 16 miles W. from
Boston, and 7 S. from Concord.
Wayne County, Ga., c. h. at Tuckerville.
Wayne county has Glynn on the S. E., Camden