Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 621

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 620 ...Page 622

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


ated in the south-western part of the town, de-
rives its name from a Mr. Perkins, a capitalist
from Boston, who, in 1830, purchased a small
woollen factory, which he greatly enlarged, thus
giving an impulse to the business of the village,
and attracting the attention of other capitalists
to improve the favorable advantages afforded by
the rapids in Black River to engage in the same
enterprise. The early settlers emigrated princi-
pally from Connecticut. 70 miles S. by E. from
Montpelier, and about 10 below Windsor. The
Sullivan Railroad passes on the opposite side of
the river.

Webb County, Ts., c. h. at Larido.

Webster, Ms., Worcester co. This town was
incorporated in 1832, and named in compliment
to Hon. Daniel Webster. It included a part of
Dudley and Oxford, and a tract of land previ-
ously unincorporated. French River and a pond
give this place a large and unfailing water power.
The original name of this pond was
the same name by which Dudiey
was known. The fall at the outlet of this pond
is 24 feet, which is increased, after it empties into
French River, to about 90 feet, before it joins the
Quinebaug. The features of this town are rather
rough. There are a number of pleasant and
flourishing villages in Webster, but Merino vil-
lage, party in this town and partly in Dudley, is
the largest. This village, through which the
Worcester and Norwich Railroad passes, lies 16
miles S. from Worcester, and 60 S. W. from

Webster, N. Y., Monroe co. Watered by a few
small streams flowing into Lake Ontario, which
bounds it on the N. Surface level or slightly
uneven; soil gravelly loam and sand. 10 miles
N. W. from Rochester, and 216 N. of W. from

Wellborn, Aa., c. h. Coffee co.

Weldon, N. C., Halifax co. Situated at the
Great Falls of Roanoke River, on the S. W. side,
12 miles above Halifax, and 95 N. E. from Ra-
leigh. Connected by railroad with Raleigh and
Wilmington on the S., and Peterburg and Ports-
mouth on the N.

Wellfleet, Ms., Barnstable co. Extends across
Cape Cod. It was taken from Eastham in 17 63.
Its Indian name was
Punnonakanit. The village
is on the W. side of the cape ; it is neatly built,
and although its soil is light and sandy, it pre-
sents a handsome appearance. Wellfleet Bay
sets into the town from the S., and is separated
from Cape Cod Bay by several islands, which
form a good harbor, at a place called “Deep
Hole.'' The eastern section of the town is wood-
ed to the edge of the ocean, which lashes a
smooth, sandy beach. This is one of the most
thriving towns in the state. 30 miles below Barn-
stable, and 95 E. S. E. from Boston by land, and
65 by water.

Wells County, la., c. h. at Bluffton. Incorpo-
rated in 1837. Bounded N. by Allen, E. by
Adams, S. by Jay and Blackford, and W. by
Grant and Huntington counties. Drained by
Wabash River, which affords fine water power.

Wells, Me., York co. An ancient town, con-
taining 35,000 acres, about one fifth of which is
waste. There are extensive salt meadows, and a
harbor for the small vessels. 30 miles S. W. by
S. from Portland.

Wells, N. Y., Hamilton co. Sacondaga River
waters this town. Surface diversified; soil chiefly
productive. 8 miles E. from Lake Pleasant, and
72 N. W. from Albany.

Wells, Pa., Bradford co. Watered by South
Creek and branches, and by a branch of Seely
Creek. Surface hilly; soil gravelly loam.

Wells, Yt., Rutland co. A part of this town-
ship is level, and a part mountainous. The soil
is generally good, and productive of grain and
pasturage. The principal stream issues from
Wells Lake, a beautiful sheet of water, partly in
Poultney, 5 miles in length, and covering 2000
acres. At the outlet of this pond is a snug vil-
lage. The settlement was commenced by Ogden
Mallary, about the year 1768. 65 miles S. S. W.
from Montpelier,'and 13 S. W. from Rutland.

Wellsburg, Ya., c. h. Brooke co. On the E.
side of Ohio River, at the mouth of Buffalo
Creek. 16 miles N. by E. from Wheeling, and
344 N. W. from Richmond. It has mills and
manufactories of various kinds, and is surrounded
by inexhaustible beds of bituminous coal.

Wellsville, 0., Columbiana co. On the N. bank
of Ohio River, at the mouth of Little Yellow
Creek. 51 miles E. N. E. from Columbus. This
place has an extensive trade with the interior,
and exports large quantities of flour.

Wendell, Ms., Franklin co., was formerly part
of Shutesbury and Erving, and was incorporated
in 1781, and named in honor of Oliver Wendell,
Esq. This town is on elevated ground, and is
the source of streams which flow to the Chico-
pee on the S., and Miller's River on the N. Its
soil is strong and fertile, and well adapted for
grain and grass. Miller's River affords a valua-
ble water power, and on its banks are some fine
intervale and delightful scenery. At the N. part
of the town, Bear Mountain rears its head, 1281
feet in height. There is a handsome village in
the town, about 4 miles S. of the river, and 80
W. by N. from Boston.

Wendell, N. H., Sullivan co. A considerable
part of Lake Sunapee lies in this town. The
surface of this lake is said to contain 4095 acres,
of which 2720 acres are in Wendell. Here is
the principal source of Sugar River, which flows
from the lake near its centre from N. to S. There
are 3 small ponds, containing an area of about
300 acres. The town received its name from
John Wendell, one of the principal proprietors.
First settlers: in 1772 emigrants from R. I. settled
here. 40 miles N. W. from Concord, and 7 E.
from Newport.

Wenham, Ms., Essex co. This town was for-
merly a part of Salem. It was first settled about
1638, and was called Enon. The surface is pleas-
ant, and the soil generally of a good quality.
Wenham or Enon Pond is a beautiful sheet of
water, of irregular form, comprising an area of
about a mile square, and affords an abundance
of excellent fish. 6 miles N. from Salem, and 20
N. from Boston. The Eastern Railroad passes
through the centre of the town, near the pond.

Wenlock, Yt., Essex co. This mountain town
gives rise to a principal branch of Nulhegan
River. The lands here are too elevated for cul-
tivation. In 1791 the town was chartered. 30
miles N. W. from Guildhall, and 73 N. E. from

Wentworth, N. H., Grafton co. This town is
watered by Baker's River, on which is a fall of
18 or 20 feet, affording a valuable hydraulic
power. Here are but few ponds. Baker's, situ-
ated on Orford line, is the most considerable;

A Gazetteer of the United States of America by John Hayward.

Hartford, CT: Case, Tiffany and Company. 1853. Public domain

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.