basis being limestone, it yields good crops. The
settlement was commenced about the beginning
of the revolutionary war, by Daniel Stow and
John Sanford, but the settlers were soon after
dispersed or made prisoners by the enemy. The
settlement was recommenced on the return of
peace. The first settlers were mostly from Mas-
sachusetts. 30 miles S. by E. from Burlington.
Weymouth, Ms., Norfolk co. This place was
called Wessaguset by the Indians, and Weymouth
by the English, after a town in England, from
which emigrauts came in 1624. This was the
second settlement made by white men in New
England. The surface is pleasantly diversified
by hills and valleys; the soil is a strong, gravelly
loam, with a granite superstructure. Weymouth
is finely watered by large and beautiful ponds,
and by two important arms of Boston Harbor,
called Fore and Back Rivers. Between these
rivers is a large tract of gently swelling land, of
good soil, extending to Quincy, and is united to
Quincy Point by a .bridge across Fore River.
There are several pleasant villages in Wey-
mouth, but the principal place of business is at
Weymouth Landing, so called, or Washington
Square, at the head of Fore River, on the line of,
and connected with, a large village in Braintree.
The South Shore Railroad from Boston to Cohas-
set passes through this pleasant and flourishing
village. The village at the S. part of the town is
pleasantly situated on elevated ground, 3 miles
S. from Washington Square. The Old Colony
Railroad passes through this part of the town.
14 miles from Boston. From Weymouth Land-
ing it is 11 miles S. by E from Boston, and 24 N
N. W. from Plymouth. Among other manufac-
tures, that of boots and shoes is extensively car-
Wharton, Pa., Potter co. Watered by a branch
of Stony Creek. 179 miles W. S. W. from Har-
Wharton County, Ts., c. h. at Wharton. On
both sides of the Colorado, towards its mouth.
Whartonville, Va., Fauquier co. A village
about 40 miles from North Carolina.
Whately, Ms., Franklin co. Previous to its in-
corporation, in 1771, this town comprised the N.
part of Hatfield. The Connecticut River bounds
it on the E., and the town is well watered by Mill
River and West Brook. In this town is a con-
siderable quantity of intervale land on Connecti-
cut River, but it is not of the first quality. The
principal street runs parallel with the river, about
2 miles westward. Between this street and the
river is an extensive tract of swampy land, called
Whately Swamp. Westward of the street the
township is hilly, and the soil in many places
rich and fertile. The village of West Whyatel is
pleasantly located amid the high grounds at the
W. part of the town. About 2 miles northward
from this village is Mount Esther. 11 miles S.
from Greenfield, and 90 W. by N. from Boston.
The railroad between Springfield and Greenfield
passes through this town.
Wheatfield, N. Y., Niagara co. Bounded S. by
Tonawanda Creek, and S. W. by the Niagara
River. Surface undulating; soil chief!}' fertile
loam. 12 miles W. from Lockport, and 289 N.
of W. from Albany.
Wheatland, N. Y., Monroe co. Watered by
Allen's Creek, a tributary of the Genesee River,
which bounds it on the E. Surface undulating;
soil productive calcareous loam. 17 miles S. W
from Rochester, and 232 W. from Albany.
Wheeler, N. Y., Steuben co. Watered by sev-
eral streams flowing into Conhocton River, which
partly bounds it on the S. W. Surface hilly;
soil sandy loam and clay. 7 miles N. from Bath,
and 210 W. from Albany.
Wheeling. Va. City, and seat of justice of
Ohio co. Situated on the E. side of the Ohio
River. About 35 miles N. W. from Richmond,
308 W. by N. from Baltimore, and 383 N. by W.
from Cincinnati. The hills back of the city come
so near the river as to leave rather a small area for
building, so that the place is forced to extend
along the high alluvial bank, principally on one
street, for a distance of about 2 miles. It lies oa
both sides of the Wheeling Creek, which here
empties into the Ohio. This was the site of old
Fort Henry, and the seat of important operations
in the early wars with the Indians. A fine stone
bridge over the mouth of this creek connects the
upper and lower portions of the city. It is the
most important place in commerce and manufac-
tures in Western Virginia. It contains several
handsome churches, and other public and pri-
vate buildings. It has cotton mills, rolling mills,
glass works, a silk factory, a steam engine fac-
tory, &c. A large business is done in the build-
ing of steamboats. The Virginia Iron Works,
located here, turn out from 1000 to 1200 kegs of
very superior nails per week.
The national road, from Cumberland across
the Alleghany Mountains to St. Louis, passes
through Wheeling, and the Baltimore and Ohio
Railroad terminates here, making this place a
great thoroughfare of travel between the east and
west. The Ohio River is here crossed by a
magnificent wire suspension bridge, erected at a
cost of over $200,000. The span (said to be the
longest in the world) is 1010 feet, from centre to
centre of the stone supporting towers, and its height
above low-water mark is 97 feet. The height of
the towers on the Wheeling side is 153^ feet
above low-water mark, and 60 feet above the
abutment on which they stand. The entire
bridge is supported by 12 wire cables, 1380 feet
in length, and 4 inches in diameter, each com-
posed of 550 strands. These cables are laid in
pairs, 3 pairs on each side of the flooring. The
bridge has a carriage way, 17 feet wide, and two
foot-walks, 3| feet wide. The wire for this, stu-
pendous and beautiful structure was manufac-
tured by D. Richards & Co., an enterprising firm
Wheelock, Vt., Caledonia co. There is some good
land in this town, but a great part of it is moun-
tainous or hilly, and fit only for pasturage. The
streams flow N. W. into the Lamoille, and S. E.
into the Passumpsie. This town was granted, in
1785, to Moore's (Indian) Charity School, at
Dartmouth College, and named in honor of John
Wheelock, who was at that time president of that
institution. The first settlers were Joseph Page,
Abraham Morrill, and Dudley Swasev, in 1790.
44 miles N. E. from Montpelier, and 10 N. from
Whitfield County, Ga. New. In the N. W.
angle of the state.
White County, As., c. h. at Searcy. Bounded
N. by Independence co., E. by White River, sep-
arating it from Jackson and St. Francis counties,
S. by Pulaski co., and W. by Conway and Van