Willimantic River rises in the county of Tol-
land, and, with the Natchaug, forms the Shetucket
Windham, Me., Cumberland co. Windham lies
on the N. E. side of Presumpscut River, which
separates it from Gorham. It is 14 miles N. N. W.
from Portland. This is a valuable farming town,
and the inhabitants are principally employed in
agriculture. Branches of the Presumpscut give
the town good mill privileges. There are two
pleasant villages in the town, and several beauti-
ful fish ponds.
Windham. N. H., Rockingham co. Policy Pond
lies in this town and in Salem. Cabot's Pond lies
E. of the centre of the town. Golden Pond is in
the S., and Mitchel's in the N. E. part. Beaver
River forms the western boundary, upon which are
some meadow lands. The town is well supplied
with small streams, which afford fine fish. Wind-
ham was originally a part of Londonderry. 33
miles S. by E. from Concord, and 20 S. E. from
Windham, N. Y., Greene co. The Bataviakill
flows E. and W. through this town. Surface
hilly and mountainous ; soil good in some of the
valleys, and well suited to grazing on the hills.
18 miles W. from Catskill, and 44 S. W. from
Windham, Pa., Luzerne co. Drained by Big
and Little Mahoopeny Creeks. Surface moun-
tainous ; soil mostly fertile. 25 miles N. W. from
Windham, Pa., Bradford co. Drained by We-
passening Creek, a branch of the Susquehanna
River. Surface hilly; soil gravelly. 162 miles
N. by E. from Harrisburg.
Windham County, Yt., c. h. at Fayetteville.
This county is bounded N. by Windsor co., E. by
Connecticut River, S. by the state of Massachu-
setts, and W. by the county of Bennington.
The surface is much broken by hills and valleys ;
the western part is very elevated, and con-
tains a part of the Green Mountain range. The
geological character of the county is primitive.
Immense quantities of granite are found in all
parts of the county, most of which is of fine
grain and very handsome. A variety of min-
erals are found here. The soil of the county is
various, from the rich and alluvial meadows on
the Connecticut, to the cold and rugged lands on
the sides of the mountains. Windham county
is finely watered by William's, Saxton's, and West
Rivers, with their branches, and by numerous
other streams. These waters give the county a
great hydraulic power.
Windham, Vt., Windham co. Branches of
West, William's, and Saxton's Rivers give this
town a good water power. The surface is ele-
vated ; the soil, though strong, is better adapted
for grazing than tillage. Windham was formerly
a part of Londonderry. A variety of minerals
are found here. There is in this town a beautiful
pond. Edward Aiken, James McCormick, and
John Woodburn were the first settlers. 30 miles
N. E. from Bennington, and 25 S. W. from
Windsor, Ct., Hartford co. This most ancient
town is situated on the W. side of Connecticut
River. The surface is generally level, having
some extensive plains. The soil is various, and
free from stone : some of it is light, but a large
proportion of it is fertile, containing extensive
tracts of rich meadow. Farmington River passes
through the town, and meeting the Connecticut,
gives the town a good hydraulic power.
At a place called Pine Meadow, at the com-
mencement of the locks on the Enfield Canal, a
variety of ship and other timber is prepared for
market. Pine Meadow is opposite to Warehouse
Point, in East Windsor.
The centre village in Windsor is pleasantly
extended on the banks of the Connecticut.
Poquonnuck village is a few miles N. from the
centre. It is a manufacturing village, delightfully
situated at the head of navigation on Farmington
Windsor Locks. A manufacturing village in
the N. part of Windsor, on the AV. bank of Con-
necticut River, 12 miles above Hartford. At this
place, the Connecticut River Company (whose of-
fice is at Hartford) have expended over $300,000
in constructing a navigable canal over the low-
er rapids in the river, known as Enfield Falls.
The canal and locks are navigable for freight
boats of 85 tons' burden, and for all the steam-
boats going above Hartford; and furnish an
immense water power for manufacturing pur-
The fall is 32 feet. The present capacity of
this canal is about 200,000 spindles' power, and
may be increased considerably by enlarging the
dam at the head. The water power is about one
The best of mill sites may be selected on the
land between the canal and the river, for 2 miles
above the locks, on all of which is to be found a
rock foundation of red sandstone, which, being
excavated, furnishes a cheap and valuable mate-
rial for buildings. The New Haven, Hartford,
and Springfield Railroad runs for 2 miles on the
margin of this extensive water power, having a
station in the village, 12 miles below Springfield.
Windsor, Me., Kennebec co. 12 miles from
Augusta, to which it lies adjacent on the W.
Windsor, Ms., Berkshire co. Noah Nash gave
the province of Massachusetts 1430 pounds for
this township, in 1762. It was first settled about
the year 1766. Its Indian name was Ousckan-
kamaug. It was incorporated by the name of
Gageboro', in 1771, but after the revolutionary
war began, in 1777, the name was changed, be-
cause Gageboro' might seem to perpetuate the
memory of the detested General Gage. This
town has a lofty elevation, and surface somewhat
uneven. It is watered by the Westfield and
Housatonic Rivers, which receive several brooks
in their passage through the town. On the Hou-
satonic, near the line of Dalton, are falls, judged
to be about 70 feet. The soil is warm, and finely
adapted for grazing. There are some excellent
farms in Windsor. The town is remarkable for
the longevity of its inhabitants, which is doubt-
less owing to the purity of its air and water.
12 miles N. E. from Pittsfield, and 120 W. by N
from Boston, by the old road.
Windsor, N. H., Hillsboro' co. This town
contains only 5335 acres. It is diversified with
hills; its soil is strong, good for grazing and
grain. Black Pond, near the centre, is said to
be 160 rods long and 80 broad, and a pond near
the S. E. corner is about 80 rods long and' 40 wide.
30 miles S. W. from Concord, and about 27 N. W
Windsor, N. Y., Broome co. Watered by the
Susquehanna River and some of its branches.
Surface hilly and mountainous; soil well adapted