Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 635

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 634 ...Page 636

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


restrictions in 1807, Wiscasset was one of the
most active and flourishing seaports in Maine.
During the disastrous period which followed,
Wiscasset suffered severely in common with all
towns largely engaged in navigation.

Since the termination of the war, the town has
been slowly but safely progressing in wealth and
prosperity. In addition to its commerce in lum-
ber and ship building, this place is largely and
profitably engaged in the fishery, for which pur-
suit it is admirably located.

The village of Wiscasset is delightfully sit-
uated on rising ground, in view of the harbor.
The court house, churches, stores, and dwelling
houses are built with taste, and many of them with
elegance. A more beautiful village is rarely seen.

Woburn, Ms., Middlesex co. This town was
granted by the General Court to the town'and
church of Charlestown', in 1640; settled there-
from early in 1641, and called Charlestown vil-
lage. In 1642 it was incorporated under its
present name. The surface is uneven, and very
much diversified by hills, dales, and woods. It
contains several beautiful sheets of water, par-
ticularly Horn Pond. Middlesex Canal passes
by the side of the pond, and makes a descent of
45 feet, by means of three double locks. The
waters of this and several smaller ponds, after
furnishing some valuable and well-improved wa-
ter power, fall into Mystic River, through Mystic
Pond, in Medford. The soil is various, but gen-
erally strong and rough; much of it is fertile,
and the town contains some beautiful farms.
Villages have sprung up in various parts. The
Boston and Lowell Railroad passes from S. to
N., through the easterly part of the town, from
which is a branch railroad to Woburn Centre.
Warren Academy, incorporated in 1828, is de-
lightfully situated near the centre, on a beautiful
eminence. 10 miles N. W. by N. from Boston,
and 16 S. E. from Lowell.

Wolcott, Ct., New Haven co. This is a small
town, watered by a branch of Naugatuck River.
The .town was incorporated in 1796. The
territory was formerly a parish in the towns
of Farmington and Waterbury^ and from that
circumstance was called “ Farmingbury.'' The
lands in Wolcott are elevated, rough, stony, and
Sard to cultivate. One of the highest hills in
this part of the state lies in this town. It com-
mands a very extended prospect of Long Island
Sound and the adjacent country. 22 miles N.
from New Haven.

Wolcott, Vt., Lamoille co. Wolcott is well
watered by Lamoille River, and by Green and
Wild Branch, its tributaries. Fish Pond, in
Wolcott, is a pretty piece of water, and bears
an appropriate name. There is some good grain
land in the town, but most of the lands are tit
only for pasturage. Wolcott was chartered to
Joshua Stanton and others, in 1781.    10 miles

S. E. from Hyde Park, and 37 N. from Mont-

Wolfeboro', N. H., Carroll co. The soil is rocky,
but productive, and the face of the country level.
The wood is principally oak and other hard tim-
ber. The only river is Smith's; it issues from
a large pond of the same name, in the S. E. part
of the town. Near the bridge over Smith's Riv-
er is a pleasant village. Winnipiseogee Lake lies
on the S. W. of this town. A steamboat plies
daily from Alton, 10 miles S., in connection with
the Cocheco Railroad terminating there, to accom-
modate travellers to the White Mountains, for
whose convenience a fine hotel has been erected
at Wolfeboro'. The charter of Wolfeboro' was
granted in 1770, to Governor John Wentworth,
Mark H. Wentworth, and others. At the foot of
a hill, near one of the ponds, is a mineral spring. .
The scenery in this town is splendid. First
settlers, B. Blake, J. Lucas, James Lary, J. Ful-
lerton, and others. 45 miles N.
E. from Con-
cord, and about 8 S. W. from Ossipee.

Wood County. O., c. h. at Perrysburg. Lucas
co. is on the N., Sandusky and Seneca on the
E., Hancock on the S., and Henry on the W.
In February, 1820, the county was organized.
This county is level, and has an excellent alluvial
soil, based upon limestone. Black Swamp lies
mostly in this county, and has been taken for
farming purposes, as it has a rich, productive soil.
It has a variety of timber, and iron ore is found
in abundance.

Wood County, Va., c. h. at Belleville. Ohio
River bounds it on the N. W., Tyler co., Va., N.
E., Louis co. S. E., and Mason S. W. Little
Kanawha River drains it mostly.

Woodbridge, Ct., New Haven co. The territory
of this town belonged to the towns of New Haven
and Milford, and was called the parish of “Am-
ity'' from 1739 until its incorporation in 1784.
West River runs on the W. side of West Rock, a
range of mountains on the eastern border of the
town. The surface of the town is hilly, but the
soil is excellent for grazing.

The regicides Goffe and Whalley had a num-
ber of places of concealment in the limits of
Woodbridge, the most noted of which is Hatchet
Harbor, or the Lodge, near a beautiful spring, in
a valley, about 7 miles from New Haven.

Woodbury, Ct., Litchfield co. The settlement
of this town commenced in the year 1672. It
was incorporated in 1674. This is a good graz-
ing township; the soil is generally warm and
fertile. The village is situated in a pleasant val-
ley, and watered by a number of small streams,
which form the Pomperaug. It is surrounded by
high hills on every side, forming a kind of amphi-
theatre, which renders it strikingly romantic.
The village contains some handsome buildings.

Bethel Rock, near the village of Woodbury, is
about 40 feet in height, and projects over 3 or
4 feet, forming a kind of shelter from the wind
and rain. There is a fine grove near it. This
spot is frequently visited; it excites solemn and
pleasing impressions.

Woodbury, N. J., c. h. Gloucester co. At the
head of navigation, on Woodbury Creek, a branch
of Delaware River. S. S. W. from Trenton 37

Woodbury, Pa., Bedford co. Drained by Yel-
low Creek and branches, and by the Frankstown
branch of Juniata River. Surface mountainous,
containing iron ore; soil calcareous loam, gravel,
and slate. 113 miles W. from Harrisburg.

Woodbury, Te., c. h. Cannon co.

Woodbury, Vt., Washington co. Woodbury
was first settled in 1800. The town is watered
by branches of Winooski and Lamoille Rivers,
and probably contains a greater number of ponds
than any other town in the state. The surface
is rough, but the soil is good for grazing. 15
miles N. by
E. from Montpelier.

Woodford County, Is., c. h. at Woodford. Bound
ed N. by Marshall co.,
E. by Livingston and Mc-
S. by McLean and Tazewell counties, and

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.