Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 122
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


Hill Bay communicates with a salt-water pond. The pioneers were
Capt. Joseph Wood and John Roundv. The third family in town was
formed by the marriage of Capt. Wood’s daughter with Col. Parker,
who had served at the siege of Louisbourg. The family of Samuel
Foster was the fourth, and the next were Col. Nicholas Holt, Ezekiel
Osgood, and Nehemiah Hinkley. The first child, Jonathan Darling,
was born in 1765 ; the second child, Edith Wood, in 1766. Several
citizens of Blue Hill served in the Revolutionary war. Christopher
Osgood, one of the first setlers, was at the battle of Bunker Hill.
Nehemiah Hinkley served through the war, and was honorably dis-
charged at West Point. The town furnished 196 soldiers to the Union
army during the Rebellion, and paid out in bounties $17,995. Among
the notable citizens of a later period, but now deceased, were John
Peters, Eben. Floyd, Nathan Ellis, and Andrew Witham. There are
several residents above eighty years of age, and one over ninety.

The township was first known as “Number 5.” The plantation name
was “Newport.” It was incorporated as a town in 1789. A Congre-
gational church was formed in 1772, and a Baptist church in 1806.
There is now an additional Baptist church, at East Blue Hill. The
first post-office was established in 1795. Jonathan Fisher was the
settled minister from 1796 to 1837. He was somewhat eccentric, but
a wmrthy minister. Blue Hill Academy was incorporated in 1803,
being endowed by a grant of one half of Number 23, in Washington
county. This property was sold in 1806, for $6,252. The academy
has a library of about 500 volumes. The income from the fund (now
about $5,000) and tuition fees sustain instruction for about half the
year. Blue Hill has an excellent academy, and seventeen public
schoolhouses, the school property being valued at $7,800. The valua-
tion of real estate in 1870 was $397,620. In 1880, it was $449,497.
The rate of taxation the latter year was 16^ mills on the dollar,
including the highway tax. The population in 1870 was 1,707. In
the census of 1880 it was 2,213.

Blue Point, a small village in Scarborough, Cumberland

Bolster’s Mills, a post-office in Otisfield and Harrison,
Cumberland County.

Bonny Eagle, a post-office in Stanaish, Cumberland County

Bookertown, a small village in Gardiner, Kennebec County.

Bootlibay, one of the most southerly towns of Lincoln
County, is situated between the Damariscotta and Sheepscot rivers,
having the town of Edgecomb on the north. The surface is moder-
ately irregular, without high hills. Agriculture is largely followed,
and fair crops are obtained in return for thorough cultivation. The
principal occupation of the inhabitants, however, relates to the fish-
eries. Barter’s, Sawyer’s and ITodgden’s islands lie near together on
the west side of the town ; and at the south is Squirrel Island, which,
though without other than the family of the keeper in winter, is in


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2