Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 213
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


St. John; and of the St. Croix Steamboat Line, by which it is con-
nected with Calais, St. Andrew’s and Robbinston. It is the terminus
of the daily stage-line to Calais and Machias, from the first of which it is
distant 30, and from the last, 40 miles. Among the honored citizens
of this town were Hons. Lorenzo Sabine, Joseph C. Noyes, and Esquires
Ichabod R. Chadbourne, Daniel T. Granger, Frederick Hobbs, Aaron
Hayden, Bion Bradbury and Jonathan D. Weston. There are resident
in the town ten persons above ninety years of age, fifteen about eighty,
and one who claims to he one hundred and two.


The churches of Eastport number seven, and are Congregational,
Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal, Unitarian, Christian and Roman
Catholic. The Boynton high-school is located in this village. The
number of public schoolhouses in the town is seven, valued, with
appurtenances, at $12,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was
$901,686. In 1880 it was $882,892. The rate of taxation in the latter
year wras 3 per cent. The population in 1870 was 3,736. In 1880 it
was 4,006.

ERtOIl is situated in the north-eastern part of Washington
County, 57 miles north-west of Calais. The township was formerly
No. 9 of Range 4. It was incorporated in 1873. It is bounded east
by Grand Lake, at the head of St. Croix River, south by Jackson
Brook, and west by Danforth. The surface of the town is moderately
uneven. The rock is generally granitic in character, and the soil
gravelly. Hay is the principal crop. Hemlock constitutes the bulk of
the forests. Grand Lake Cove, about 4 miles in length, lies in the
eastern side of the town. Two or three other small ponds afford some
water-power on their outlets.

The Shaw Brothers tannery, located in this town, uses 8,000 cords
of bark,and tans 600 tons of leather annually. The nearest railroad
connection is at Forest Station, on the European and North American
Railway, 8 miles distant. This township furnished 16 men to the
Union forces during the war of the Rebellion, of whom 6 were lost.

The Free Baptists and Methodists have preaching here a part of the
time. Eaton has three public schoolhouses, and school property to
the value of $1,100. The valuation of estates in 1880 wras $88,294.
The rate of taxation was 7 mills on the dollar. The population in 1870
was 81. In 1880 it was 314.

Eddington, in Penobscot County, lies on the eastern bank
of the Penobscot, 5 miles E.N.E. of Bangor. It is on the Air Line
stage-route to Aurora, in Hancock County. Bradley bounds it on the
north, Clifton on the east, Holden on the south and Veazie and Qrono
on the west, separated by Penobscot River. The town is irregular in
form, curving away from the river south-eastward to a distance of
about 10 miles, while its width is scarcely 3 miles. The area is about

9,000 acres. The surface is uneven and in some parts broken. A
broad-topped hill called Black Cap Mountain in the south-eastern part,
is the highest elevation. Holbrook and Davis Ponds, having a broad
connecting stream, lie on the western line of the southern portion of
the town ; and Nichols Pond lies upon the eastern line near the middle
of the town. The two first are about 1 mile square, the last 3 miles.
The outlet stream of the two first, connecting with the last, has a total


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2