Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 229
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


Much of the surface of Farmington is considerably elevated above
Sandy River Valley, of which fine views may be had from many parts
of the town.

Farmington, the principal village, is situated on a beautiful undu-
lating plain on the eastern bank of Sandy River near the centre of tbe

Its streets are h~rd and broad, and most of them have a double row
of shade-trees. The top of Court street affords a fine landscape view
toward the west, wdiile from Powder House Hill, up and down the
river, are views still more impressive.

Some noble willows at the western extremity of tbe village sprang
from twigs, cut on tbe way home from Augusta by Hiram Belcber,

Esq., one of the early residents. A young lady’s seminary which
flourished here a few years since, occupying a fine eminence near by,
took its name—The Willows—from these trees. More within the vil-
lage is a small park, with a band-stand, and a fine grove of maples
near it.

Six churches adorn the village, and dispense religious truth
to the people. It is also the seat of the Western Normal School,
of the noted Little Blue School, and the Wendell Institute. All of
these have fine buildings and pleasant grounds. The Little Blue School
is situated in an extensive park, consisting of hill and dale, shaded by
numerous old and young trees, and enlivened with ponds, streams and
bridges. There are in the town five lumber-mills, two sash, blind and


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2