Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 281
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


furnished about 100 men to the Union cause in the war of the Rehel-
lion, of whom 39 were lost.


The Methodists, Universalists and Congregationalists each have
church edifices. The number of public schoolhouses in Hiram is four-
teen, valued, with appurtenances, at $5,000. The valuation of estates
in 1870 was $300,170. In 1880 it was $393,116. The rate of taxation
in the latter year was about 8 mills on the dollar. The population in
1870 was 1,393. In 1880 it was 1,449.


Hodgdon lies on the eastern border of Aroostook County.
It is bounded on the north by Houlton, west by Linneus, south and
east by New Brunswick. The area is 36 square miles. The surface is
generally smooth ; but there is one considerable eminence known as
Westford Hill. Meduxnekeag River runs through the western part
of the town from south to north, furnishing at Hodgdon Village, about
midwav of the town, power sufficient for several mills. The manufac-
tures here are long and short lumber, chairs, flour and meal, carriages,
boots and shoes, harnesses, etc. There is also a steam lumber-mill.
Houlton, about five miles distant, is the nearest railroad station.
Hodgdon is on the stage-line from Houlton to Danforth, on the
European and North American Railway.

The town was incorporated in 1833, having been formed from two
half townships, the northern one being the Groton Academy grant, and
the south half, the Westfield Academy grant. The first settlers were
John Duval, James Daggett, James U. Parker, Joseph Kendall, Jabez
Bradbury, Thomas Lander, Charles Lyon, Rufus Wiggin, James Ham,
Joseph Gerow, Joseph E. Jackins, Daniel Smith and others. Their
titles and the name of their town were from John Hodgdon, the pro-

There are in the town Baptist, Free Baptist and Methodist societies.
The number of public schoolhouses is nine ; and the value of the school
property is set at $4,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was
$197,832. In 1880 it was $173,627. The population in 1870 was 989.
In 1880 it was 1,047.

Hodgdon’s Mills, a post-office in Boothbay, Lincoln

Holden lies in the south-eastern part of Penobscot County, 6
miles east of Bangor. It .is bounded north and east by Eddington,
west bv Brewer and Orrington, and south by Dedham and Bucksport,
in Hancock County. The surface is quite uneven, and somewhat
elevated, but without high hills. Slaty ledges are common, and there
is some granite. The soil, though stony, is. productive ; and the town
has many excellent farms. Hay, potatoes, wheat and corn are all
cultivated with success. The forests contain most of the trees native
to the region.

At the south-west corner of the town is Brewer Pond, while on the
east are the Holbrook and Davis ponds, united by a broad stream.
George’s Corners, near the south-east side of the town, is the principal
business centre. Holden has one lumber-mill, one lumber and box
mill, and one carriage-factory, making about twenty carriages a year.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2