Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 286
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

286    GAZETTEER    of    MAINE.

This township was originally purchased of Massachusetts by Wil.
liam Sullivan, of Boston. The settlement was commenced in 1800 by
Luke Wilder, David Pierce, Wareham Briggs, Tristam Warren, soon
followed by others. In 1824, it was organized as Jackson Plantation,
in 1825 it was incorporated as Kirkland, which in 1854 was changed
for the present name.

Hudson has seven public schoolhouses, valued, with appurtenances,
at $2,000. The valuation of estates m 1870 was $101,497. In 1880
it was $93,806. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 29 mills on    *

a dollar. The population in 1870 was 739. In 1880 it was 659.

HunnewelPs Point, a post-office in Phipsburg, Sagada-
hoc County.

Hurricane Isle is a town of Knox County, situated in
Penobscot Bay, 12 miles east of Rockland. It was formerly a part of
Vinalhaven, from which it was set off and incorporated in 1878. Gran-
ite quarrying (which is the chief occupation of the population) was
commenced here in 1870 by Gen. Davis Tillson, the owner of the
island. The highest hill is 165 feet in height. The town is notable
for its small size, its granite, and the entire banishment of liquor from
the island. Besides the granite works, there is one porgy-oil mill.

There is one public schoolhouse, and the estimated value of the school
property is $50. The valuation of estates in 1877 was $46,941. In
1880 it was $40,028. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 1^-
per cent. The population in 1878 was 600. In 1880 it was 220.    *

Indian River, a post-office in Washington County.

Indian Rock, a post-office in Rangeiey, Franklin County.

Industry is situated on the eastern side of Franklin County
in the southern part. New Vineyard bounds it on the north, New
Sharon on the south, Farmington and New Vineyard on the west, and
Starks* and Anson, in Somerset County, on the east. The northern part
of the town is drained by Lemmon’s Stream, and the south by Muddy
Brook, tbe outlet of Clear Water Pond. This beautiful sheet of water
lies in the south-'westerp part of the town, adjoining Farmington. Its
area is one and three-fourths miles. The town is very hilly. Board-
man’s Mountain, a little north of the centre of the town, Harvey and
Davis mountains, in the northern part, and Bannock Hill in the north-
ern part, are the principal eminences. The soil is very productive.

There are good wmter-powers at the outlet of Clear Water Pond,    v

which are improved. This point is known as Allen’s Mills, and is 6
miles from the station of the Maine Central Railroad in Farmington.

Weeks’s Mills, on a branch of Lemmon’s Stream, in the eastern
part of the town, is 10 miles from Farmington. The manufactures at
Allen’s Mills, are lumber, chairs, salt-boxes, wheel-hubs and shovel
handles. At West’s Mills are rakes, wheels, spade-handles, lumber,
harnesses, boots and shoes, meal and flour. At the center is located
the Enterprise Cheese Factory, and a boot and shoe-shop.

Industry was formed from the north-western part of the Plymouth


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2