Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
Milford, in Penobscot County, is situated on tbe east bank
of the Penobscot River, 13 miles N.N.E. of Bangor. It is bounded on
the north by Greenbush, east by Greenfield, south by Bradley, and west
by Old town. From the latter it is separated by Penobscot River. The
Oldtown Falls, on this river, the best water-power in theUnited States,
extends between these two towns. Milford was incorporated in 1833,
taking its name from the mills on these falls. The surface of the town
is generally level and swampy. It is drained by the Sunkbaze Stream
with its numerous branches, and the Otter Chain Ponds and their
outlet. The population is principally distributed along the Penobscot.
The village is very pleasantly situated at a point opposite the lower
end of Indian, or Oldtown, Island. There are in tbe town at this point
six saw-mills manufacturing long lumber, shingles, etc. The attractive-
ness of the village is enhanced by the numerous elm trees set along the
streets some thirty years since by some public spirited hands. The
underlying and outcropping rocks are- granite and slate. The soil is
of sandy and gravelly loam. The principal crops are hay and potatoes.
The forests are of an unusually dark color, consisting almost exclusively
of pine, spruce and hemlock. The condition of the public roads is
quite good. A bridge across the river here is 1,000 feet in length.
Among the names of former citizens who merit to be remembered
are Henry E. Prentiss, Samuel F. Hersey, Charles E. Dole and Simon
Murphy. Milford sent 200 men to aid in the suppression of the Re-
bellion, losing one-fourth of the number.
The town has a church of the Episcopal denomination. The num-
ber of public schoolhouses is four. The entire school property is valued
at $4,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $178,614. In 1880 it
was $174,709. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 24 mills on a
dollar. The population in 1870 was 827. In 1880 it was 734.
Millbridg*e, in Washington County, is situated on Narra-
guagus River and Bay, 30 miles W.S.W. of Machias. It is bounded
by Cherryfield on the north, Harrington on the east, Narraguagus Bay
on the south, and Steuben on the west. Narraguagus River separates
it from the latter, while a smaller stream forms the boundary line on
the east. Cherryfield, the adjoining town up the river, has lumber and
other mills, while Millbridge is its seaport. The village is at the
mouth of the river, at the head of navigation. Lumber is brought
down to this point from the mills at Cherryfield in rafts. . There are
here three ship-yards, two boat-builders, sail and spar makers, a tin-
smith, and other small manufactures necessary to ship-yards or common
to villages. There is also a factory for canning lobsters. The in-
habitants are largely engaged in fishing and coasting, as well as ship-
building and farming.
This town was formed from parts of Harrington, Steuben and
Cherryfield, and incorporated in 1848. It has a Methodist and a
Christian church, and nine public schoolhouses. The school property
is valued at $3,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $209,747.
In 1880 it was $304,779. The population in 1870 was 1,558. In 1880
it was 1,802.
Milltown, a post-office in Calais, Washington County. (
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2