Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 375
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

This town was incorporated March 3, 1855; being named in honor
of Hon. Anson P. Morrill, then governor of the State. The first set-
tlements were made by James Weymouth, Benjamin Smith, Joseph
Coming and Nathaniel Cushman, in 1801 and 1802. They purchased
their lands of General Knox, proprietor under the Waldo Patent.

The climate of this town is regarded as quite healthful. There are
four inhabitants past eighty years of age, and four between seventy and
eighty. The Grange has a good building here, which is used as a town-
hall. There is a Methodist society in the town, and a Union meeting-
house at the village. The town has five public schoolhouses. The
entire school property is valued at $2,500. The valuation of estates in
1870 was $133,099. In 1880 it was $122,098. The rate of taxation in
the latter was for money tax, 42 mills on the dollar. The population
in 1870 was 523. In 1880 it was 494.

Morrill’s Corner, a village and railroad station in Deer-
ing, Cumberland County.

Morrison’s Corner, a small village in Clinton, Ken-
nebec County.

Moscow, in Somerset County, is situated on the eastern
bank of Kennebec River, 25 miles N.N.W. of Skowhegan, on the
stage-line to the Forks of the Kennebec. It is bounded on the north
by Caratunk, east by Mayfield, south by Bingham and west by
Pleasant Ridge Plantation. It is separated from the last by tbe river.
The surface is very hilly. Dresser Hill is the most extensive elevation
in horizontal area; Baker Mountain is probably the highest, and Bab-
bitt Ridge is next to these. Chase, Little Chase and Minx ponds lie
in the northern part. Others are found at the south-east corner, and
along near the river are several smaller. Austin Stream is the princi-
pal water course, and into it discharge Chase and Gulf streams, Minx
and other brooks. Near the eastern line of the town are “Austin
Falls,” on the stream of that name, having a descent of 100 feet in half
a mile. On these were formerly saw, shingle, clapboard and planing
mills, which were burnt a few years since. Other powers and mills are
Temple’s Mills and Temple’s Wagon Works, on a brook empty-
ing into the Kennebec River; Bassett’s Shingle Mill, on the east
branch of Chase Stream ; Chase Mill on the same stream, near the
centre of the town ; “Great Falls,” below, where the stream descends
30 feet; and on Carney’s Brook is Carney’s saw-mill. In all there are
19 available powers. The rock in general through the town is a hard
slate, having in many places, veins of quartz yielding small quantities
of gold. Three-fourths of tbe territory is still covered with heavy
forest. The soil is good, yielding well in grain and other staple pro-
ducts of the region. Bingham is a post-ofiice for the town.

This township was a part of Bingham’s Kennebec Purchase. Ac-
cording to Williamson, it was settled as early as 1773. The land was
surveyed and lotted in 1812, at which time the inhabitants petitioned
for incorporation under the name of Northfield. The plantation became
somewhat known as Bakerstown, from the number of persons of the
name of Baker among the inhabitants, though the original Bakerstown


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2